Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Does iTunes support DVD-Audio? (Read 6017 times) previous topic - next topic

Does iTunes support DVD-Audio?

I ripped all of The Lord of the Rings recordings from its DVD-Audio release to AIFF, but I have been unable to import it into my iTunes Library. I tried converting it too ALAC / WAV and neither of them work either. They play just fine in other stuff like Quicktime Player / VLC, but when I convert them to something like AAC, iTunes will let me import it.

Pretty much, I'd just like to know how to import one of the lossless ones rather than something like AAC / MP3.

Reply #1
What format are the aiff files in? I would think pcm would work but if they're compressed you may need to convert them first.

Reply #2
WARNING - If your DVD was copy protected we can't talk about how you cracked the copy protection or what software you used (see TOS 9).  But of course, it's OK to talk about converting AIFF to something else. 

So, you're not trying to play DVD-Audio, you're trying to play AIFF or ALAC...    I don't use AIFF, and I've never used ALAC, but I'm sure iTunes supports ALAC.    I just made an AIFF,* and it  did play it in iTunes.

What software are you using to convert the AIFF to ALAC?  Or, did you try directly making an ALAC with your ripping software (which we can't mention)?

Do you know any format details of your AIFF file?  It is it "regular" uncompressed PCM?  Is it a multichannel file (5.1 etc.)?    I'm just guessing that multichannel might be a problem.  If there is a stereo track on the DVD, you might try ripping that.    Or, you can try converting it to stereo. 

* I used GoldWave to convert a WAV file to AIFF. 

Reply #4
WARNING - If your DVD was copy protected we can't talk about how you cracked the copy protection or what software you used (see TOS 9).  But of course, it's OK to talk about converting AIFF to something else. 

So, you're not trying to play DVD-Audio, you're trying to play AIFF or ALAC...    I don't use AIFF, and I've never used ALAC, but I'm sure iTunes supports ALAC.    I just made an AIFF,* and it  did play it in iTunes.

What software are you using to convert the AIFF to ALAC?  Or, did you try directly making an ALAC with your ripping software (which we can't mention)?

Do you know any format details of your AIFF file?  It is it "regular" uncompressed PCM?  Is it a multichannel file (5.1 etc.)?    I'm just guessing that multichannel might be a problem.  If there is a stereo track on the DVD, you might try ripping that.    Or, you can try converting it to stereo. 

* I used GoldWave to convert a WAV file to AIFF.

iTunes supports Apple Lossless, I have my entire library in it and it all works just fine.

Since I'm stuck on Mac, I ended up using Pro Audio Converter [http://markvapps.com/proaudioconverter] - I do have some access to a Windows PC.

I ripped the CD to AIFF then converted it too ALAC, neither of these would import into iTunes, tired it with WAV as well, but it still didn't work. It's sample rate is 48,000 kHz, 24 bit depth, and It says it has 6 audio channels. Also, almost all the bit rates on these songs are in the high 3,000's.

All of the music does import when its at something like MP3 CBR 128 or something really really small like that.

What software would you recommend using to convert surround music to stereo?

Reply #6
...and It says it has 6 audio channels.
I Don't know if iTunes supports 6 channels.  (My iPod classic doesn't.)    MP3s are always 1 or 2 channels, so that may be a clue.

Reply #7
If I change the extension from .m4a to m4v, the files import (for the ALAC files).