Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ICY-streamed titles with semicolons do not display properly (Read 6715 times) previous topic - next topic

ICY-streamed titles with semicolons do not display properly

When playing a SHOUTcast HTTP stream, titles containing semicolons are mangled: an apostrophe is added to the beginning of the title, and everything from the first semicolon and beyond is missing.

The problem does not occur when playing static files.

This is with foobar2000 0.9.4.3 on Win2K SP4.

Is this the correct forum in which to report this bug?

Reply #1
This bug persists in foobar2000 1.1 on WinXP.

Also, when a semicolon isn't present, the way the stream title metadata is parsed by foobar2000 seems to be roughly this: everything before the first dash is trimmed of (leading and?) trailing whitespace and goes into %artist%, and the rest is trimmed of leading (and trailing?) whitespace and goes into %title%. In Feb. 2009 I [a href='index.php?act=findpost&pid=616101']reported[/a] that this wasn't ideal because titles typically come through as "artist - title", where artist can have dashes in it. So for example "A-Ha - Take On Me" gets parsed as %artist% "A" and %title% "Ha - Take On Me".

Is it possible to get this behavior changed?

(While you're in there...In that same thread, users lamented the lack of metadata field for accessing the Icy-Name value, which typically has the station name. This value goes into %title% but gets overwritten by in-stream titles. Any chance that could be addressed?)

Thanks

Reply #2
Are you certain this is a foobar2000 bug? Some of the "problems" you're describing sound more like problems on the encoding/streaming end, not the playback end.

Reply #3
Are you certain this is a foobar2000 bug? Some of the "problems" you're describing sound more like problems on the encoding/streaming end, not the playback end.

Yes, I am sure. I captured the raw stream to a file and I looked at it in a hex editor. Here are some examples of actual metadata in the stream:

Code: [Select]
StreamTitle='A-Ha - Take On Me';StreamURL='';

This is parsed as
%artist% = A
%title% = Ha - Take On Me

StreamTitle='Nina Simone - Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair [1964 NY session; stereo]';StreamURL='';

This is parsed as
%artist% = 'Nina Simone
%title% = Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair [1964 NY session

StreamURL is normally an empty string. I'm not sure how to get it to be anything different. I don't think it matters.

The station name and URL are only sent in the icy-name and icy-url headers at the beginning of the response:
ICY 200 OK
icy-notice1:<BR>This stream requires <a href="http://www.winamp.com/">Winamp</a><BR>
icy-notice2:SHOUTcast Distributed Network Audio Server/Linux v1.9.8<BR>
icy-name:Edited for Privacy
icy-genre:
icy-url:http://edited.for/privacy/
content-type:audio/aacp
icy-pub:0
icy-metaint:8192
icy-br:128

Reply #4
Acknowledged and added to known problems. Might be changed for next release. Thanks for the detailed report.