Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Reading parts of songs (Read 1388 times) previous topic - next topic

Reading parts of songs

Good morning,

sorry for expression but english is not my native language.

I'd like to know if foobar has an option to do a custom-playing playlist. I mean, a playlist where you can ask to play a song not from beginning to end but just on a certain period. The function exists in itunes but i've not found it in Foobar 2000 or in any component.

It could be very usefull for festivities, for playing songs at the refrain moment for example.

Thank you.

Reading parts of songs

Reply #3
Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, even foo_seek or foo_skip, as you expected, none of theses fullfills the purpose i was really searching for...

Reading parts of songs

Reply #4
Well, you will need to be more specific about what that purpose is. Please describe it as exactly as you can, and then we have the most chance of finding a solution for you.

Reading parts of songs

Reply #5
Judging by OP's initial post, I assume he wants partial playback of songs to be conditional upon playlist.

Reading parts of songs

Reply #6
Assuming the functionality wanted is to play portions of songs between a given point A and point B specific to each song, that still requires per-track metadata such as that offered by foo_skip.

Blind playback between the same two points for every song can probably be accomplished using foo_seek, but that is not likely to suit every track and certainly cannot guarantee a particular part (e.g. the refrain, as noted in the OP) for each song.

If the desire is, instead, a way to preview the first n seconds of every song, that can be accomplished by foo_preview; however, this is still not configurable on a per-playlist basis, AFAIK.

Reading parts of songs

Reply #7
Well if he doesn't want to use itunes (which has needed option accordingly to his words) then he needs to use DAW software. Instead of playlist with option of configurable excerpts for each track, he should just manually cut excerpts he wants, paste them one after another and create crossfades between them. Some things can not be done with such simple software like media player, even if it's quite sophisticated player. DAW software has unlimited possibility to work on excerpts of various tracks plus it can be used to add aditional instruments and effects. Depending on importance of particular "festivity" using DAW may be the best option. Very professional option.

Reading parts of songs

Reply #8
My point was that something like this should be relatively straightforward to set up using foo_skip, with the option of crossfading AFAIK now that you mention it, but that there’s no way to do it automatically on a per-playlist basis; to specifically play desired parts of each song will require the user to demarcate those parts in advance.