Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3 Settings (Read 3779 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3 Settings

I had a problem with mpc files not sounding like the original wav file due to the settings in winamp when the eq was on.

I have a similar problem with mp3 files.  when I encode wav to mp3 with stardard settings, the mp3 has too much bass.  when I decode the mp3 to wav again, the original wav and the new wav sound exactly the same.

Im assuming I need to change the settings in winamp but do not know which one.

can anyone help pleeeease!

Mp3 Settings

Reply #1
My best suggestion is to never use EQ
If you must use EQ, use it wisely:
If you want "x" kHz to be louder, lower all but "x".
Another (possible) sollution may be to MP3Gain your files.

Mp3 Settings

Reply #2
MP3 plugin also uses it's own EQ by default, to change that to Winamp's generic EQ go to preferences (ctrl-P), select Plug-ins -> Input -> Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder, hit configure and disable "Fast Layer 3 EQ" under "Decoder" tab.

Mp3 Settings

Reply #3
Are both EQ bad quality? The internal one and the external one?
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

Mp3 Settings

Reply #4
perfect  (w00t)

Mp3 Settings

Reply #5
I just want everything to use the winamp eq so I can compare audio codecs.  Its a bit difficult when each codec uses its own eq.

But everything seems to be perfect now.

Im so happy (w00t)

Mp3 Settings

Reply #6
Hmm, didn't the WinAmp eq completely destroy over 16khz frequencies. This was the case iirc at least some versions ago. Haven't checked lately..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Mp3 Settings

Reply #7
Yeah that was the case, with the WinAmp EQ's, as far as I know WinAmp 3 still has this bug  !

Mp3 Settings

Reply #8
why is their EQ so shit?

Mp3 Settings

Reply #9
I just want everything to use the winamp eq so I can compare audio codecs.

Using an equalizer doesn't seem to be a fair way to do so.

Mp3 Settings

Reply #10
Hmm, didn't the WinAmp eq completely destroy over 16khz frequencies. This was the case iirc at least some versions ago. Haven't checked lately..

That's for the winamp EQ ( the one that jenny wants to use ).
The MP3 EQ comes from applying the EQ settings on the bands of the MP3 file.
The problem of using the MP3 EQ (in mp3's of course) is that since there are just 10 sliders in the EQ window, and more bands in the MP3 (don't know how many), then some sliders modify more than one mp3 band, and I think that the higher bands are not modified (read >16Khz)

In conclusion: None of the EQ's is good. One because it is low quality, the other because it's too simple.

Note: Don't take this as a fact, because this is just a deduction after having seen other EQ's.

Mp3 Settings

Reply #11
I just want everything to use the winamp eq so I can compare audio codecs.

Using an equalizer doesn't seem to be a fair way to do so.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with this.  There's too much room for error when using all kinds of eq-ing, and plus you will end up doing bad things like breaking the masking and stuff used in some cases.

If you really want to compare audio codecs, the best way to do it would be not to use winamp at all, but to decode the different formats back to .wav files and load them up in something like pcabx, or ff123's utility on his page: http://www.ff123.net

Mp3 Settings

Reply #12
So basically the EQ is modifying more than one MP3 band, and thus effecting the quality of the resulting audio sound, so we need and EQ that can modify the MP3 bands excatly, for it to reproduce correctly?

BTW, as a side note then wouldn't the Winamp EQ be better, as that modifies the audio output before it reaches the output plugin? And theoretically the MP3 bands will not come into play.

Anyways its been proven Winamp EQ sucks >16khz, so if you need to use and EQ gets Shibata's EQ from Rarewares!