Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar2K - only play if replaygain is set (Read 1577 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar2K - only play if replaygain is set

Hello all,

I wonder if foobar has a way to do this: only play music if replay gain has been set for tracks.
Reason: music files are recorded with such a huge gap between volume. Sometimes 2 different tracks differ 9dB, that is a lot. Because I sometimes use in ear monitors , I don't want to damage my ears.... or at least be shocked from time to time.  :o

Re: Foobar2K - only play if replaygain is set

Reply #1
I guess you could do that using foo_skip and set it to skip tracks not containing replaygain.

Reply #2
You can also set the volume of all tracks without RG lower using:
File/Preferences/Playback/ReplayGain/Preamp/Without RG info

Or simply make sure you don't have tracks without ReplayGain in the first place. Either by creating an autoplaylist that lists problematic tracks or mark them clearly in your playlist viewer using titleformatting.

Autoplaylist:
Click Library/Search and input the query below.
Code: [Select]
%replaygain_track_gain% MISSING
Then click "..."/Create autoplaylist with said query.

Titleformatting:
Code: [Select]
$if(%replaygain_track_gain%,,THIS TRACK HAS NO REPLAYGAIN)

Reply #3
Another option is to try my experimental ReplayGain DSP component. This component tries to scan ReplayGain value of the next track in advance if the information is missing. The longer output buffer you use the more time it has to scan. I have been using the component for a couple of months and I think it works quite well. You'll have to turn off the core ReplayGain though or you'll get incorrect results.

Reply #4
many thanks for the answers. Will try it out.

Reply #5

Daeron's solution seems to be the most easiest.

I looked at my Flac files and their Replaygain values and chose minus 7 dB in
(File/Preferences/Playback/ReplayGain/Preamp/Without RG info)

What a small but marvelous program setting. =)

Reply #6
I looked again, wow mp3 low quality have a replay gain of +10 dB and some flac have -16 dB. 26 dB difference, no wonder I jumped up from time to time =))

Reply #7
Hello all,

I wonder if foobar has a way to do this: only play music if replay gain has been set for tracks.
Reason: music files are recorded with such a huge gap between volume. Sometimes 2 different tracks differ 9dB, that is a lot. Because I sometimes use in ear monitors , I don't want to damage my ears.... or at least be shocked from time to time.  :o

I can suggest you to use VLEVEL. It reduce attack of loud part on the start on new track and apply volume levelling for all tracks and also gently boost quiet parts in tracks.
VLEVEL - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,65889.msg588147.html#msg588147
For smooth compression (there is stiill be minor difference of volume between the tracks) set these settings as you see on screenshot.
Do not change any values except MAX MUTIPLIER - set to 12 db or to 9 db - for minor compression (+28 db its too much for compression)

Or use skip track or dynamic dsp plugin ( i still dont use these plugins full time, but i just guess you must set tags on your tracks before!)
Foo skip - skip tracks that match a specified search query - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,30361.msg914554.html#msg914554
Foo dynamic dsp - Dynamic DSP: gives custom effect chains for individual tracks - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,96094.msg802647.html#msg802647
Download - https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,108904.msg956095.html#msg956095
Many thanks to authors of these good and useful plugins.