Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Strange audio noise on VHS rip (Read 8862 times) previous topic - next topic

Strange audio noise on VHS rip

I'm currently ripping the audio of some old Disney VHS, which contain rare dubbing which is fun to have.

I have currently only ripped two movies - Both movies have great stereo hifi soundtracks, but exhibit a strange clicking noise with varying amplitude. In silent part, the soundtrack is dead silent, but with audio the noise is mostly amplified.

I did try another VHS player, just to make sure that it wasn't just a faulty deck, but the noise is apparent on both decks. However, they are probably not the highest quality VCR's you could come by (LG and a Philips combo player). I was wondering two things:

1. What generates this noise? The player/the technology or maybe coincidentally just the way both tapes were produced?
2. Is there any way to remove or at least reduce this? When you are aware of it, it is really annoying.

Sample here
Can't wait for a HD-AAC encoder :P

Reply #1
Funky stuff - Just realised that it occurs 25 times in a second... Same as the framerate (PAL).

Reply #2
Funky stuff - Just realised that it occurs 25 times in a second... Same as the framerate (PAL).

It's audio head switching. It means the signal off tape is too weak. Try adjusting the tracking. You might have to compromise between audio and video quality. It is signal level dependent because VHS Hifi uses a powerful noise reduction system. (2:1 dbx-style companding).
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #3

It's audio head switching. It means the signal off tape is too weak. Try adjusting the tracking. You might have to compromise between audio and video quality. It is signal level dependent because VHS Hifi uses a powerful noise reduction system. (2:1 dbx-style companding).

Video quality isn't an issue here, as I'm just ripping the audio. Would it help trying to find a higher quality deck?

Reply #4

Video quality isn't an issue here, as I'm just ripping the audio. Would it help trying to find a higher quality deck?

a. Basically you could check out the manuals for manual tracking.

b. post, you can probably (ab)use some sort of "hum remover" type of filter, example:

Audacity and  "Nyquist Prompt" from the Effects menu, quick try

Code: [Select]
(notch2 
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
s
250 10)
225 10)
200 10)
175 10)
150 10)
125 10)
100 10)
75 10)
50 10)
25 10)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79532365/vhs_auda.ogg
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #5

Try another deck if tracking adjustment doesn't help. I found that worn heads affects the audio more than the video.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

Reply #6
a. Basically you could check out the manuals for manual tracking.

b. post, you can probably (ab)use some sort of "hum remover" type of filter, example:

Audacity and  "Nyquist Prompt" from the Effects menu, quick try

Code: [Select]
(notch2 
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
(notch2
s
250 10)
225 10)
200 10)
175 10)
150 10)
125 10)
100 10)
75 10)
50 10)
25 10)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79532365/vhs_auda.ogg

Wow, that one nailed it pretty much. At least so much that it's not too annoying. I have no idea what that filter/script does, but I would certainly look into it. Thanks for the tip

I could try adjusting the tracking, but I think it's odd, that I have the exactly same behavior on two different decks.