Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New iPods! (Read 27355 times) previous topic - next topic

New iPods!

Reply #75
My new 20 GB iPod arrived today.  Damn nice looks  But when I peeled off the protective plastic that covers the clickwheel, it left a lot of sticky remnants.  I had to clean with some methylated spirits   

hmm...so far so good though.  It comes up as a USB HD in windows and copying files to and from seems quite easy so it's quite nice as a removable HD.  Though very slick, holding in  your hand gives me the feeling that it's very fragile and fingerprint-prone.  I should've got the carry case I guess.

The Apple earphones look pretty cheap but the sound seems quite different to my Sony's.  I don't know which sounds better...just know they sound different.

So far, I've been very happy with it.

New iPods!

Reply #76
I purchased a 40 GB 4G iPod this week and I love it! I think the real benefit is the combination of iTunes and the iPod. I have so far ripped approx. 50 CDs in a few days, and it is just so simple. Syncing w/the dock is easy, too. Encoding at AAC 192 Kbps. I have tested several titles from many genres against the original CD, and have yet to notice ANY discernable differences!!! Have tested through a pair of Bose 301s and old Sony Studio quality headphones.

I have used the LAME plugin in the past on my G3, but it was so slow, I barely encode in MP3 on OS X now. I have not tested the plugin on my new G4 eMac yet, but the G3 would be lucky if it hit 1.0x!

Does anyone have any information about the purported hidden features in the 4Gs that Apple is allegedly going to ignite sometime in the near future?

New iPods!

Reply #77
Nothing but speculation about "hidden features", which originated from this article.

But you should know that internally the new iPod is a ground-up reconstruction, and its really compelling applications — the ones that very well might get the goat of anyone unable or unwilling to upgrade — are still secret. All that Apple is saying is that there's more to this than what's being publicized.

I have to say that if it's meant to be that amazing the only reason I can think of why Apple wouldn't have annouced yet, is if they have to wait for the production of some form of accessory.  (ie radio)

Or may be it's going to require major work on their part, I assume for instance that if they implimented gapless it would require them to re-encode the entire iTMS library.  But I think that my just be wishful thinking on my part    As I doubt that it would take them weeks/months to transcode their music library, unless of course they didn't rip to lossless first 

New iPods!

Reply #78
dman hope the fix the  big gaps/clicks between mp3 tracks at playback
Sven Bent - Denmark