Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to fix "Reported length is inaccurate" errors? (Read 4705 times) previous topic - next topic

How to fix "Reported length is inaccurate" errors?

I have a handful of MP3 VBR files that are throwing errors in foobar2000's "Verify Integrity" utility:

Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 4:37.147188 vs 4:37.121066 decoded
Error: MP3 decoding failure: Unsupported format or corrupted file

I've tried using foobar2000's repair facilities ("Fix VBR MP3 Header" & "Rebuild MP3 stream"), but can't get rid of these errors.  (I've also checked that the files aren't write-protected.)

Is there anything else I can try or does it matter?  Thanks.

Reply #1
You can have inaccurate reported length without other errors, and you can have corrupted files without length issues. The inaccurate reported length is something I dare not touch, because doing so has screwed up gaplessness on at least one instance.

mp3packer can repack the (valid) mp3 frames without reencoding. But likely, you will get a glitch where the corruption is – there is no standard way of resolving that, so some players may sound more forgiving and others less.

Reply #2
Thanks for your reply.  I tried WinMP3Packer and it got rid of the reported error.  Just as you said, however, it introduced a new glitch into the file (a gapless concert boot).  Seems best to just leave it alone.