Skip to main content

Poll

Where do you get your music from (primary)?

CD - new, bought online or in local stores
[ 117 ] (26.1%)
CD - used, bought online or in local stores
[ 79 ] (17.6%)
CD - used, borrowed or rented
[ 35 ] (7.8%)
DVD or SACD - new, bought online or in local stores
[ 11 ] (2.5%)
DVD or SACD - used, bought online or in local stores
[ 9 ] (2%)
DVD or SACD - used, borrowed or rented
[ 4 ] (0.9%)
iTunes
[ 25 ] (5.6%)
Other online store (e.g. Google Play, Amazon, etc.)
[ 73 ] (16.3%)
I use Spotify, Deezer or other streaming services
[ 42 ] (9.4%)
Other (e.g. Vinyl)
[ 53 ] (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Topic: Where do you get your music from? (Read 24844 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Where do you get your music from?

Reply #75
I've never used Bandcamp's streaming services anyway. I always treat purchases from them as download FLAC and pretend my local copy is the only copy that I'll ever have access to.

Same, in reality - and especially now. But I still hate corporates that rip me off. And especially music industry sharks who hide behind the piracy excuse in order to piss off their paying customers.
(I nearly managed to avoid EMI and BMG the years they sold mock CDs too. Nearly - it is hard when you buy people's entire collections second-hand.)
“It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out.”
- Donald Trump, May 2017

Reply #76
I put down the CDs, used option, but I'm roughly tied between that and downloads -- whether that be from Hyperion, Bandcamp, the Free Music Archive, artists' own websites, or even Jamendo (back when they were good and provided OGG Vorbis files and even torrents).

Reply #77
and even torrents
Archive.org does that, here is their section for netlabels. But torrents are not so much used, it seems - well my taste could be too narrow for anyone wanting to download the same things. But these days I rather grab the fileset marked "Original", I do not think the torrent indicates which ones that were uploaded.
(Beware some illicit uploads every now and then, of course.)
“It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital. What is digital? And it’s very complicated, you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out.”
- Donald Trump, May 2017

Reply #78
I do not think the torrent indicates which ones that were uploaded.

I use Transmission as my Bittorent client; it lets you view the list of files that will be downloaded and seeded, and even allows you to easily deselect files and folders you don't want. I believe most clients I've tried have this option?  Could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the tip about the Internet Archive!

Reply #79
I meant: which files the uploader submitted, and which ones were auto-transcoded by archive.org. That's not a BT-technical thing.
- Donald Trump, May 2017

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018