Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Gapless Fraunhofer (Read 12398 times) previous topic - next topic

Gapless Fraunhofer

Hi

I'm not trolling and please direct me to a link & close this if it's already answered.

I'm thinking of a solution where I have a number of CD's, a Fraunhofer MP3-codec (the Panasonic DVD-S500EG-K) and a couple of iPods (all capable of gapless playback), where I would like to place the MP3-files.

So my big question is: Is it possible to make these Fraunhofer MP3's gapless somehow? And I can't live with any kind of clicks or pops.

Re: Gapless Fraunhofer

Reply #1
You already have the mp3 files and wish to make them gapless or are you looking to make mp3 files that are gapless?

iTunes and foobar can both create gapless mp3 files.  iTunes will also scan the mp3s to see if they are gapless when you add them to the media library.  It adds gapless data to the tags when it finishes scanning the files.
JXL

Reply #2
Hi JXL

I was thinking of mass-ripping CD's on the Panasonic DVD-S500EG-K DVD player. It can rip CD's to MP3. I believe it uses the Fraunhofer MP3-codec. But if they aren't true gapless when I put the files onto the iPod, I can't use this scenario.

Reply #3
You really don't want to encode mp3 files on a DVD player because of the very low quality of embedded mp3 encoders. Use something with a real floating point CPU that can run a quality encoder.

Reply #4
You would have a lot more options if you used a computer/laptop.  You can pick your favorite ripper and pick from any number of codecs that support gapless playback and can be played on an iPod.

It would also make tagging and storing the files, which is a key part of backing up music, a whole lot easier.
JXL

Reply #5
Hi guys

Since I couldn't get a straight answer I have decided to do something completely different. I've decided to go the Apple-way. That means that I rip the CD's on my MacBook in Apple Lossless-format. As far as I know, Apple literally invented gapless support for files and by using Apple Lossless I can also send the music over Bluetooth without being compressed more than one time. Since it's a tough work to rip so many CD's I won't tag them all at once. That can be done little by little, and I sure hope the optical drive won't let me down (I will be cleaning every single CD, there's no way out). Why CD's after all, you might think... I've never had a faulty CD. It can be scratched, but almost never contain any errors. I've bought several downloads which had errors and they are seldom lossless anyway. So I'm done with downloading, at least until iTunes Store becomes Lossless instead of AAC. But thanks for the input, both of you!

Reply #6
For the record, every lossless format is gapless.

Reply #7
I've decided to go the Apple-way. That means that I rip the CD's on my MacBook in Apple Lossless-format.

Sure, use lossless. You do not want to do ripping more than once.
I would avoid ALAC though, as it does not have native checksum support. But if you are stuck with Appleware, then you can probably keep your backups in a safer format and stick to ALAC for everyday use.

As far as I know, Apple literally invented gapless support for files and by using Apple Lossless

Eh. Gapless playback of lossless-compressed formats was around for years before Apple finally bothered to release ALAC. Which at the time was just as unnecessary as Windows Media Lossless.

(And I really wonder why you were asking Fraunhofer-specific questions ... sure you weren't trolling?)

Reply #8
Porcus: I'm really not into discussing these things.
When I said that Apple invented gapless support I wasn't thinking of ALAC but AAC. I was there and the only damn thing that worked back then was iTunes & AAC. These days they are about the only company who manages to do proper gapless. Not even Google can do it smoothly.
No, I'm not trolling. I asked a specific Fraunhofer-question. Apparently, no-one could answer me and I choose a completely different solution, inspired by JunkieXL and saratoga.
Incredible that one can't ask a question in a forum like this and then people like you just want to start a fight.
But I'll delete my account in a moment anyway.

Reply #11
CAN'T DELETE ACCOUNT: HOW SERIOUS IS THAT? LET ME GET BANNED & DELETED. PEOPLE ARE JUST HERE FIGHT OBVIOUSLY.

Reply #12
CAN'T DELETE ACCOUNT: HOW SERIOUS IS THAT? LET ME GET BANNED & DELETED. PEOPLE ARE JUST HERE FIGHT OBVIOUSLY.
Banned yes, deleted no. It's important for members to be able to see every post in a thread.

Reply #13
When I said that Apple invented gapless support I wasn't thinking of ALAC but AAC.

Right. You were thinking of AAC when you asked specifically about "MP3":

a Fraunhofer MP3-codec
MP3-files.
Fraunhofer MP3's

Then you should avoid iTunes, as it insists on its own non-standard gaplessness hack, and will sometimes handle Fraunhofer's and sometimes not. iTunes introduced gaplessness as late as version 7 (in 2006), but some subsequent iTunes updates have destroyed gaplessness.
If you want an inherently gapless lossy format, try Opus, Ogg Vorbis or even Musepack - but I guess MP3 with LAME headers is the most widespread still.

But you don't want gaplessness, you want to troll.

Reply #14
When I said that Apple invented gapless support I wasn't thinking of ALAC but AAC. I was there and the only damn thing that worked back then was iTunes & AAC. These days they are about the only company who manages to do proper gapless.

This is actually not true:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,34989.msg307740.html

In fact one of the reasons people recommended against using iTunes for AAC was that it was not gapless when other codecs were.