Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New encoder AAC(Lav) in avidemux: is it of good quality? (Read 40867 times) previous topic - next topic

New encoder AAC(Lav) in avidemux: is it of good quality?

I haven't seen as an encoder before. I was trying the latest beta of avidemux and they are offering AAC(Lav) as an alternative to FAAC. With megui I have been using QAAC as my encoder and next would use the Nero Encoder as I AFAIK FAAC is not the highest quality AAC encoder.

But where does the Quality of AAC(Lav) fit in?

Reply #1

If Lav means libav then I would say pretty poor. It kinda reaches transparency at around 256Kbps when I ABXed it, but I also find FAAC only to only reach transparency at >192Kbps. The only decent open source AAC encoder at the moment is fdk-aac.

IMO stick with QAAC.

Reply #2

If Lav means libav then I would say pretty poor. It kinda reaches transparency at around 256Kbps when I ABXed it, but I also find FAAC only to only reach transparency at >192Kbps. The only decent open source AAC encoder at the moment is fdk-aac.

IMO stick with QAAC.

Thanks.

Reply #3
I also confirm the previous assessment. I like how AviDemux works as a program and I got the kung-fu to make transcoded excerpts very quickly, but both the AAC audio codecs at rates <96kbps have very obvious artifacts that almost make me feel like an ABX wizard.

Could one actually utilize QAAC/FhgEnc within AviDemux seemlessly? It might be fun to try and definitely worthwhile. Perhaps a conversation with the developer(s). MeGUI I am not acquainted with.
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"