Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pregap not matching log file (Read 13437 times) previous topic - next topic

Pregap not matching log file

Confession time. 
Despite buying 99.9% of my music, what with being an OCD nut and liking to know where me music comes from, I'm a bit of an Eels fan and greedily wanted a lossless copy of their super rare 1999 limited edition live album 'Oh What A Beautiful Morning' which I procured via downloading a complete Eels lossless discography from one of the usual illegal torrent sites (though only downloading that and the previous limited edition live album, the rest I have already anyway but I'm probably going to hell regardless and expecting a knock on the door from the CIA and FBI etc any second now but what can you do eh?).

Anyway, my question. Opening the cue in XLD the AccurateRip is confirming that yes it is indeed accurately ripped and running the verification the CRC hash XLD produced from that matches the log file that came with the album
Example:

Log
Track 17
    Filename J:\<TOS#9>\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\17 - something is sacred.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.84

Peak level 69.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC A5423407
    Copy CRC A5423407
    Copy OK

XLD Log
Track 17
    Track gain              : 0.92 dB
    Peak                    : 0.693695
    CRC32 hash              : A5423407
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 7061CF06
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 960BEC56
    AccurateRip v2 signature : D7AC9BCC
    ->Accurately ripped (v1, confidence 19/19)

My question is that checking the log I noticed the pre-gap length stated in the log for track 17 was 0:00:02.84 while the album listed in XLD is saying 0:00:02.63. Checking further I noticed that none of the other tracks pre gaps matched what was on the log, varying from a couple of seconds to over twenty. So what would cause this discrepancy?
As I generally rip all my albums myself and generally don't do this kinda downloading thing normally I have never checked to see whether all my hundreds of ripped CD's pregaps have matched the logs but I'm assuming they would do? Why wouldn't they?

I asked a mate who normally downloads shit and after laughing at my blatant OCD headache plus my somewhat download naivety for 10 minutes or so checked some of his Flac downloads and said a few didn't match there as well but didn't care enough to find out any more, so I turn to you oh knowledgable people. Why would the pregap be different when the log says otherwise even though XLD is still saying it's an accurate rip and is this something I need to worry about for my own rips? 

Reply #1
First off, 75 frames = 1 second.

Secondly, different drives and detection methods will give different pregap results except for the one before the first track. It is essentially hard-coded. Furthermore, non-first track pregaps are not protected with redundant data, making them more susceptible to error.

Reply #2
First off, 75 frames = 1 second.

I'm being dense, I did know that at the very least. 

Secondly, different drives and detection methods will give different pregap results except for the one before the first track. It is essentially hard-coded. Furthermore, non-first track pregaps are not protected with redundant data, making them more susceptible to error.

Yep, I've noticed from all my rips that there is a 00:02:00 pre gap before the first track no matter what, always wondered why.

Track 01
Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/01 Track 01.wav
Pre-gap length : 00:02:00

If different drives give different pregap results then my rips should all match the logs as I'm using the same drive and ripping method pretty much, but I still can't get my head around why the log for this rare live album would say a different time to what is actually being said the pregap is by XLD. Surely if XLD is reading the cue created by that rip then the pre gap would match what is being ripped? Is it automatically compensating for that variation and since it is a live album and there is variation in pre gap length surely that would be audibly noticeable on the album (I've no played it yet) since there is likely to be audience noise connecting the two tracks?
Would that also mean that theoretically someone downloading one of my albums I've ripped would also see a similar discrepancy between what the pregap on the log is and what XLD is saying it is?

Basically, XLD is saying the rip is accurate and has verified it as so, does that mean I have an exact copy of that rare live CD and to just ignore the nagging OCD discrepancy or do I need to hunt down and pay a fortune for this thing over eBay so I know I have the real thing? 

Reply #3
while the album listed in XLD is saying 0:00:02.63

Maybe it's "0:00:02:63" ? 2 seconds 63 frames = 2.84 seconds

Reply #4
while the album listed in XLD is saying 0:00:02.63

Maybe it's "0:00:02:63" ? 2 seconds 63 frames = 2.84 seconds

Ahh, maybe I am being dense after all. I'm so used to my rips (for example this taken from my rip of Arcade Fire's The Suburbs)

Log
Track 16
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/16 Track 16.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:07:15

CRC32 hash              : 211880C0
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 3E08E0B9
    AccurateRip v1 signature : F5B9543A
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 841052D5
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 200+122/333)
    Statistics
        Read error                          : 0
        Jitter error (maybe fixed)          : 0
        Retry sector count                  : 0
        Damaged sector count                  : 0

saying the Pre-gap length as 00:07:15, a format I am used to seeing obviously, while in the case of the Eels album I've just noticed it is saying '0:00:02.84' which I was reading as '00:02:84' which I gather from what you are kindly educating me about is not right?
The Arcade Fire album is saying 7 secs 15 frames while the Eels album is saying 2.84 seconds translating in XLD to 2 secs 63 frames? Am I doing that right?  That doesn't seem right somehow.

Reply #5
And I'm still confused, quick email later to my mate requesting a comparison.
My copy of Brandon Flowers solo album album:

My log
Track 02
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/02 Only The Young.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:72

CRC32 hash              : 2E756E58
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 291CE878
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 5F7BE45D
    AccurateRip v2 signature : C3F0DCB7
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 76+32/108)
    Statistics
        Damaged sector count                  : 0

From the log of his copy he downloaded (tut tut)
Track  2

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\02 - Only The Young.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.96

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC E9061A2E
    Copy CRC E9061A2E
    Track not present in AccurateRip database
    Copy OK

and yet

My self-ripped copy of Lou Reed's Berlin (Amazing album)

My log:

Track 03
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/03 Men Of Good Fortune.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:42

CRC32 hash              : 436B8B2D
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 22132BCE
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 8FEB17A6
    AccurateRip v2 signature : EBB5C709
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 112+15/168)
    Statistics
        Damaged sector count                : 0

While his downloaded copies log reads:

Track  3

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\03 Men Of Good Fortune.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:01.42

Peak level 71.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 1102DB4F
    Copy CRC 1102DB4F
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [FCA6B8B2]
    Copy OK

With Brandon Flowers album the pre-gap is different though having both cues open in XLD they are saying 00:01:72 pre-gap for Track 2.
Yet with Berlin, both pre-gaps in XLD are the same even though one being 0:00:01.42 and the other 00:01:42, so surely they must be one and the same?
Surely the extra 0: in 0:00:00.00 just represents an hour and that it means 0:00:01.96 is the same as 00:01:96?

Now it's gone beyond the Eels album, now I just wanna know why the inconsistency in some but not others!

Reply #6
There are sometimes different pressings of the same CD, for example US/EU/xx releases. Also explains why on popular albums, you rarely see something like "accurate (296/296)"

Reply #7
There are sometimes different pressings of the same CD, for example US/EU/xx releases. Also explains why on popular albums, you rarely see something like "accurate (296/296)"

Yep, that I understand, but it doesn't explain the pre-gaps in some cases as being said to be as one thing on the rip log but appearing as something else when opened in XLD.

Reply #8
Different drives, different software, different gap detection methods, different discs and you're looking for consistent inconsistency?
BTW EAC displays time in frames by default. In some of your EAC log examples the user has elected to change that default setting so time is displayed in hundredths. That certainly doesn't mean all EAC logs display time in hundredths.
korth

Reply #9
Different drives, different software, different gap detection methods, different discs and you're looking for consistent inconsistency?
BTW EAC displays time in frames by default. In some of your EAC log examples the user has elected to change that default setting so time is displayed in hundredths. That certainly doesn't mean all EAC logs display time in hundredths.

The big question was really why did a track when ripped have a pre-gap of 0:00:02:84 but is now showing in XLD as 0:00:02:63. The rest is fluff.

The two Brandon Flowers albums may be from different regions and thus different pre-gaps, that would make perfect sense, but both are showing the same pre-gap when opened in XLD (00:01:72) and when I ripped my disc it was indeed 00:01:72 but when someone else ripped their disc it was logged as 0:00:01.96 so why is that they both show 00:01:72 in my XLD when in theory the track pre-gap ripped by the person who uploaded the album my mate downloaded should show as 00.01.96 in XLD?

It's that I just can't get my head around, why would it rip and be logged as one number but show now as another? I am probably just being stupid or not explaining myself properly so I'm sorry if I am annoying you all with this question but it's bugging the hell outta me.

Reply #10
I’m not sure why you’re so baffled when the most likely answer is obvious in the differing formats used by the various logs, as noted by lvqcl, and another possibility was provided by greynol. I suspect the only problem here is you not properly considering the former possibility.

Surely the extra 0: in 0:00:00.00 just represents an hour and that it means 0:00:01.96 is the same as 00:01:96?
No. Why do you think the final delimiter in the first case is a period, whereas it is a colon in the second example?

Although I suspect this is simply a lack of understanding of differing formats used to display times, I will say that on the off-chance inaccurate drives are involved, such risks come with illegal downloads. If you care this much about it, go and buy it and rip it. We’re not here to help people navigate the stormy seas of warez, and prefacing your question with an exaggerated tale about how the acquisition was a traumatic experience and has left you paranoid doesn’t alter that fact.

For everything else, just try some conversions between min:sec:frames and h:min:sec.msec, and you might find that your confusion vanishes once you properly take on board what lvqcl said.

Reply #11
Although I suspect this is simply a lack of understanding of differing formats used to display times, I will say that on the off-chance inaccurate drives are involved, such risks come with illegal downloads. If you care this much about it, go and buy it and rip it. We’re not here to help people navigate the stormy seas of warez, and prefacing your question with an exaggerated tale about how the acquisition was a traumatic experience and has left you paranoid doesn’t alter that fact.

You can't buy it, hence why in this case I downloaded the bloody thing, the album was a limited edition item released only on that particular tour which at the time I wasn't even aware the band existed, and while you can buy a mp3 off iTunes all my music is Apple Lossless and until the time Apple pull their finger out and start selling that then it's either downloading or paying someone £50 on eBay, either way the artist doesn't see the money. The exaggerated thing was deliberate, a joke to lighten the mood as I know I'd get pissy if someone came on here saying "Hay guys, just downloaded this album LOLS" (I live in the UK, why would I be stressing about the FBI of all things) and I actually don't download music at all (until now in this unique case obviously) hence why all this is a bit of a puzzle, until now I just bunged my CD into my Mac, ripped on XLD and then dropped into iTunes. I just wanted a solid copy of a live tour only album you can't get any more, that is all. 

I can tell I'm clearly getting on your nerves so I'm gonna step out now. I'm not gonna pretend I understand all the technicalities and the Berlin comparison of both albums having the same pre-gap though one rip showing 00:01:42 and the other 0:00:01.42 while Brandon Flowers' album shows having the same pre-gap despite one rip showing 00:01:72 and the other 0:00:01.96 seems to be inconsistent to me. I'm probably not explaining myself well but I appreciate everyones help and I'm sorry if my confusion over something probably very simple has annoyed anyone. I can't be certain the Eels rip is accurate so on to eBay I guess...

Reply #12
it doesn't explain the pre-gaps in some cases as being said to be as one thing on the rip log but appearing as something else when opened in XLD.

I already gave you all the information you need.

Reply #13
OK, my mistake about the availability of the CD. Still, as you have seen, acquiring material otherwise can create a lot of headaches.

Still, though:
Until you have cross-checked this against how XLD handles times, we can’t do much more in this thread. I suspect the answer is simply a case of differing formats. You yourself said:
With Brandon Flowers album the pre-gap is different though having both cues open in XLD they are saying 00:01:72 pre-gap for Track 2.
it doesn't explain the pre-gaps in some cases as being said to be as one thing on the rip log but appearing as something else when opened in XLD.
If I understand you correctly, and XLD is changing (or not) times between importing them from a cuesheet written by EAC and reporting them in its own window, presumably it is taking in times in one format and presenting them in another. I’m not sure how to interpret your claim that it only does this with certain cuesheets: it might help if you upload snippets of the affect pre-gaps for Flowers’ album, which apparently show the same time in XLD despite being reported differently by EAC, and the rips of Berlin, which you said differ in both EAC and XLD.

Reply #14
I can tell I'm clearly getting on your nerves so I'm gonna step out now. I'm not gonna pretend I understand all the technicalities and the Berlin comparison of both albums having the same pre-gap though one rip showing 00:01:42 and the other 0:00:01.42 while Brandon Flowers' album shows having the same pre-gap despite one rip showing 00:01:72 and the other 0:00:01.96 seems to be inconsistent to me.

00:01:42 and 00:01.42 are not the same amount of time!
(Added: this may be incorrect: see post #30)

I searched for these rips and the first CD is "Lou Reed - Berlin [1998 Remastered]" while the second is from "Lou Reed - Original Album Classics (5 CDs Slipcase) (2008) [Sony-BMG]" (of course, if we can trust to torrents). So you compare two different discs in this case.

OTOH, 00:01:72 is the same as 0:00:01.96.

Reply #15
Even if they were the same disc, a 1-frame difference is nothing.  My post already addressed it.  In that post I wrote about detection methods.  This is not the same as ripping settings.

The the discussion continued on to comparing more home-brewed copies against pirated ones using different programs with the expectation that the times should be written in exactly the same format. WTF?!? This is just silly.

What I want to know is whether the OP has ever gone through the advanced configuration settings in EAC. There's one in there about whether to display times in frames or in decimal. Surely not everyone configures it the same way. Anytime there is a number beyond the decimal point that is greater than 74 then you know which way it was configured. This is for the GUI and log file; the setting does not affect the CUE sheet.

If the OP still wants to bid on these titles after the information I gave, that's his problem.  He should just be aware that the accuracy of the non-01 pregap times from his own rips are just as questionable as those being downloaded.

Reply #16
OK, my mistake about the availability of the CD. Still, as you have seen, acquiring material otherwise can create a lot of headaches.
Believe me, I figured it would be a harmless way to get an out of print record and now I just regret the whole bloody thing, it's just set my OCD off something terrible and it's not like I have any liner-notes so I can't even complete it in iTunes like my proper collection. Still even with all this it's been a much more pleasant experience than using eBay though! 

I've included grabs of XLD and the log files, I probably should have just done this earlier really...
First off, the offending out of print live Eels album I nabbed off the interwebs

Here is the included log file:

Code: [Select]
EAC extraction logfile from 12. June 2007, 14:42 for CD
the eels / oh what a beautiful morning

Used drive  : LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239V  Adapter: 5  ID: 1
Read mode  : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : C:\Program Files\FLAC\flac.exe  (User Defined Encoder)
                    320 kBit/s
                    Additional command line options : -V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

Other options      :
    Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
    Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
    Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Track  1
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\01 - feeling good.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.00

Peak level 96.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 75406AE4
    Copy CRC 75406AE4
    Copy OK

Track  2
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\02 - overture.wav

Peak level 96.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 902E406C
    Copy CRC 902E406C
    Copy OK

Track  3
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\03 - oh what a beautiful morning.wav

Peak level 97.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC F95AD927
    Copy CRC F95AD927
    Copy OK

Track  4
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\04 - abortion in the sky.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.62

Peak level 96.6 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC CAC88B50
    Copy CRC CAC88B50
    Copy OK

Track  5
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\05 - it's a motherfucker.wav

Peak level 56.5 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC A0E8CA59
    Copy CRC A0E8CA59
    Copy OK

Track  6
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\06 - fucker.wav

Peak level 78.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 94FAF5DF
    Copy CRC 94FAF5DF
    Copy OK

Track  7
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\07 - ant farm.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.04

Peak level 89.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC CEAB2173
    Copy CRC CEAB2173
    Copy OK

Track  8
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\08 - climbing to the moon.wav

Peak level 97.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 5659968C
    Copy CRC 5659968C
    Copy OK

Track  9
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\09 - grace kelly blues.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:03.46

Peak level 66.1 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 0D47D64B
    Copy CRC 0D47D64B
    Copy OK

Track 10
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\10 - daisies of the galaxy.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.93

Peak level 94.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 5E721CAB
    Copy CRC 5E721CAB
    Copy OK

Track 11
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\11 - flyswatter.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.57

Peak level 96.1 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC ADCD5BEE
    Copy CRC ADCD5BEE
    Copy OK

Track 12
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\12 - vice president fruitley.wav

Peak level 96.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 2304302B
    Copy CRC 2304302B
    Copy OK

Track 13
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\13 - hot and cold.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.77

Peak level 96.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC E7F9CFEC
    Copy CRC E7F9CFEC
    Copy OK

Track 14
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\14 - mr. e's beautiful blues.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.89

Peak level 88.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC F885DAF3
    Copy CRC F885DAF3
    Copy OK

Track 15
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\15 - not ready yet.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.29

Peak level 84.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 0D4FFE00
    Copy CRC 0D4FFE00
    Copy OK

Track 16
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\16 - susan's house.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.09

Peak level 97.2 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC CBF37223
    Copy CRC CBF37223
    Copy OK

Track 17
    Filename J:\Oh What A Beautiful Morning\17 - something is sacred.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.84

Peak level 69.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC A5423407
    Copy CRC A5423407
    Copy OK

No errors occured

End of status report

Next up the Brandon Flowers albums (my rip as indicated, I asked my mate to send over the copies of his albums so I could use them for reference):
Mine:

X Lossless Decoder version 20130127 (142.3)

XLD extraction logfile from 2013-02-24 21:05:57 +0000

/ Audio CD

Used drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS21N (revision SA18)
Media type : Pressed CD

Ripper mode            : XLD Secure Ripper
Disable audio cache    : OK for the drive with a cache less than 1375KiB
Make use of C2 pointers : NO
Read offset correction  : 667
Max retry count        : 20
Gap status              : Analyzed, Appended

TOC of the extracted CD
    Track |  Start  |  Length  | Start sector | End sector
    ---------------------------------------------------------
        1  | 00:00:00 | 04:49:68 |        0    |    21742 
        2  | 04:49:68 | 04:19:03 |    21743    |    41170 
        3  | 09:08:71 | 04:06:26 |    41171    |    59646 
        4  | 13:15:22 | 04:43:09 |    59647    |    80880 
        5  | 17:58:31 | 05:49:43 |    80881    |  107098 
        6  | 23:47:74 | 03:21:12 |    107099    |  122185 
        7  | 27:09:11 | 03:19:38 |    122186    |  137148 
        8  | 30:28:49 | 04:18:13 |    137149    |  156511 
        9  | 34:46:62 | 03:25:29 |    156512    |  171915 
      10  | 38:12:16 | 02:56:38 |    171916    |  185153 

AccurateRip Summary (DiscID: 00108842-0082c2c7-8209a40a)
    Track 01 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 108/108)
    Track 02 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 108/108)
    Track 03 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 106/106)
    Track 04 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 107/107)
    Track 05 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 108/108)
    Track 06 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 108/108)
    Track 07 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 106/106)
    Track 08 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 108/108)
    Track 09 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 108/108)
    Track 10 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 107/107)
        ->All tracks accurately ripped.

All Tracks
    Statistics

Track 01

CRC32 hash              : A999D714
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 5A6F7697
    AccurateRip v1 signature : B40E2AE2
    AccurateRip v2 signature : F25DF1A8
    Statistics

Track 02
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/02 Track 02.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:72

CRC32 hash              : 2E756E58
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 291CE878
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 5F7BE45D
    AccurateRip v2 signature : C3F0DCB7
    Statistics

Track 03
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/03 Track 03.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:00:38

CRC32 hash              : 1CEDCD4C
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : E54C8B05
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 83913B54
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 563CD464
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 75+31/106)
    Statistics

Track 04
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/04 Track 04.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:24

CRC32 hash              : 132A876D
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 8DE72089
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 1E0C3B62
    AccurateRip v2 signature : F5FB1F15
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 76+31/107)
    Statistics

Track 05
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/05 Track 05.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:02:47

CRC32 hash              : 064E6819
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 45C4E00C
    AccurateRip v1 signature : EE1C51D5
    AccurateRip v2 signature : A0308D3D
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 77+31/108)
    Statistics

Track 06
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/06 Track 06.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:70

CRC32 hash              : E7A9F5CA
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 9EF5BE31
    AccurateRip v1 signature : DBDBF870
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 1F7D8C75
    Statistics

Track 07
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/07 Track 07.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:53

CRC32 hash              : 1436C866
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : F9F00333
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 7540876C
    AccurateRip v2 signature : D3DEE166
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 75+31/106)
    Statistics

Track 08
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/08 Track 08.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:00:34

CRC32 hash              : DAADD17C
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : AA986AEC
    AccurateRip v1 signature : A06886FF
    AccurateRip v2 signature : C0506A54
    Statistics

Track 09
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/09 Track 09.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:02:03

CRC32 hash              : 8FBDFA06
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 5EB155EB
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 9F166FAB
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 06EEDE0C
    Statistics

Track 10
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/10 Track 10.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:02:32

CRC32 hash              : 9ABF09AF
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 0DACDA0D
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 723DF55B
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 54F5A36E
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 76+31/107)
    Statistics

No errors occurred

End of status report

My friends downloaded copy:

[/URL]

Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 5 from 4. May 2009

EAC extraction logfile from 3. September 2010, 19:03

Brandon Flowers / Flamingo

Used drive  : HL-DT-STDVDRAM GH22NS50  Adapter: 3  ID: 0

Read mode              : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache      : Yes
Make use of C2 pointers : No

Read offset correction                      : 667
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out          : No
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks  : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations      : Yes
Used interface                              : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
Gap handling                                : Appended to previous track

Used output format              : User Defined Encoder
Selected bitrate                : 320 kBit/s
Quality                        : High
Add ID3 tag                    : No
Command line compressor        : C:\Program Files (x86)\Exact Audio Copy\Flac\flac.exe
Additional command line options : -V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s 

TOC of the extracted CD

1  |  0:00.00 |  4:49.68 |        0    |    21742 
        2  |  4:49.68 |  4:19.03 |    21743    |    41170 
        3  |  9:08.71 |  4:06.26 |    41171    |    59646 
        4  | 13:15.22 |  4:43.09 |    59647    |    80880 
        5  | 17:58.31 |  5:49.43 |    80881    |  107098 
        6  | 23:47.74 |  3:21.12 |    107099    |  122185 
        7  | 27:09.11 |  3:19.38 |    122186    |  137148 
        8  | 30:28.49 |  4:18.13 |    137149    |  156511 
        9  | 34:46.62 |  3:25.29 |    156512    |  171915 
      10  | 38:12.16 |  2:56.61 |    171916    |  185176 
      11  | 41:09.02 |  4:49.05 |    185177    |  206856 
      12  | 45:58.07 |  4:03.53 |    206857    |  225134 
      13  | 50:01.60 |  2:23.15 |    225135    |  235874 
      14  | 52:25.00 |  3:52.55 |    235875    |  253329 

Track  1

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\01 - Welcome To Fabulous Las Vegas.wav

Peak level 100.0 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC AB0B907B
    Copy CRC AB0B907B
    Copy OK

Track  2

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\02 - Only The Young.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.96

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC E9061A2E
    Copy CRC E9061A2E
    Copy OK

Track  3

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\03 - Hard Enough.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:00.50

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 19393AE1
    Copy CRC 19393AE1
    Copy OK

Track  4

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\04 - Jilted Lovers & Broken Hearts.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.32

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC DDDDC943
    Copy CRC DDDDC943
    Copy OK

Track  5

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\05 - Playing With Fire.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.62

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 312B7153
    Copy CRC 312B7153
    Copy OK

Track  6

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\06 - Was It Something I Said .wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.93

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 179A7E1B
    Copy CRC 179A7E1B
    Copy OK

Track  7

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\07 - Magdalena.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.70

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 967BD578
    Copy CRC 967BD578
    Copy OK

Track  8

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\08 - Crossfire.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:00.45

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 1DB880AC
    Copy CRC 1DB880AC
    Copy OK

Track  9

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\09 - On The Floor.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.04

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 04F1AB68
    Copy CRC 04F1AB68
    Copy OK

Track 10

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\10 - Swallow It.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.42

Peak level 99.8 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 8F7F6011
    Copy CRC 8F7F6011
    Copy OK

Track 11

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\11 - The Clock Was Tickin'.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.24

Peak level 99.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 7F67BF4D
    Copy CRC 7F67BF4D
    Copy OK

Track 12

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\12 - Jacksonville.wav

Peak level 99.8 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 127CF95A
    Copy CRC 127CF95A
    Copy OK

Track 13

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\13 - I Came Here To Get Over You.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.85

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC F992C9BC
    Copy CRC F992C9BC
    Copy OK

Track 14

Filename D:\EACrips\Brandon Flowers - 2010 - Flamingo\14 - Right Behind You.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.17

Peak level 99.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC B5544913
    Copy CRC B5544913
    Copy OK

None of the tracks are present in the AccurateRip database

No errors occurred

End of status report

Next up, Lou Reed's Berlin

X Lossless Decoder version 20130720 (144.0)

XLD extraction logfile from 2013-07-21 12:24:22 +0100

/ Audio CD

Used drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS21N (revision SA18)
Media type : Pressed CD

Ripper mode            : XLD Secure Ripper
Disable audio cache    : OK for the drive with a cache less than 1375KiB
Make use of C2 pointers : NO
Read offset correction  : 667
Max retry count        : 20
Gap status              : Analyzed, Appended

TOC of the extracted CD
        1  | 00:00:32 | 03:24:55 |        32    |    15386 
        2  | 03:25:12 | 03:39:70 |    15387    |    31881 
        3  | 07:05:07 | 04:38:35 |    31882    |    52766 
        4  | 11:43:42 | 03:57:08 |    52767    |    70549 
        5  | 15:40:50 | 03:42:37 |    70550    |    87236 
        6  | 19:23:12 | 05:14:70 |    87237    |  110856 
        7  | 24:38:07 | 04:13:33 |    110857    |  129864 
        8  | 28:51:40 | 07:55:00 |    129865    |  165489 
        9  | 36:46:40 | 05:51:25 |    165490    |  191839 
      10  | 42:37:65 | 06:56:50 |    191840    |  223089 

List of alternate offset correction values
        #  | Absolute | Relative | Confidence
    ------------------------------------------
        1  |    703  |    36  |    34   
        2  |    21  |  -646  |      6   
        3  |    649  |    -18  |      2   

AccurateRip Summary (DiscID: 001076d5-0087a82b-7c0b9e0a)
    Track 01 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 128/169)
    Track 02 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 127/169)
    Track 03 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 127/168)
    Track 04 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 125/166)
    Track 05 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 127/168)
    Track 06 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 126/167)
    Track 07 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 127/168)
    Track 08 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 126/167)
    Track 09 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 126/167)
    Track 10 : OK (v1+v2, confidence 121/159)
        ->All tracks accurately ripped.

All Tracks
    Statistics

Track 01
    Pre-gap length : 00:02:32

CRC32 hash              : 978862CE
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : FAA7717F
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 0D6E9691
    AccurateRip v2 signature : C333A6BA
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 113+15/169)
    Statistics

Track 02
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/02 Track 02.wav

CRC32 hash              : 6C339DCE
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : A6029065
    AccurateRip v1 signature : B5599E55
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 85D64A55
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 112+15/169)
    Statistics

Track 03
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/03 Track 03.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:01:42

CRC32 hash              : 436B8B2D
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 22132BCE
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 8FEB17A6
    AccurateRip v2 signature : EBB5C709
    Statistics

Track 04
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/04 Track 04.wav

CRC32 hash              : 10623542
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : B325FBCD
    AccurateRip v1 signature : BC967B9C
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 46C49EAF
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 109+16/166)
    Statistics

Track 05
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/05 Track 05.wav

CRC32 hash              : 39CF59E4
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 67FA7C29
    AccurateRip v1 signature : A7F3DA52
    AccurateRip v2 signature : D46C4E81
    Statistics

Track 06
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/06 Track 06.wav

CRC32 hash              : 4EB0ADE0
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : D0B1DB7F
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 3AC06D1F
    AccurateRip v2 signature : E893ACC3
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 111+15/167)
    Statistics

Track 07
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/07 Track 07.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:04:22

CRC32 hash              : C31CB4B9
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : FC55CAE6
    AccurateRip v1 signature : B4F09763
    AccurateRip v2 signature : AEFAA553
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 111+16/168)
    Statistics

Track 08
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/08 Track 08.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:00:18

CRC32 hash              : 195A5157
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : AE14965D
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 2DB38EE1
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 6F86B43B
    Statistics

Track 09
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/09 Track 09.wav
    Pre-gap length : 00:04:68

CRC32 hash              : 853BA3DE
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 802D0728
    AccurateRip v1 signature : 0D0E62EC
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 3C8D8294
    Statistics

Track 10
    Filename : /Users/LTP/Music/10 Track 10.wav

CRC32 hash              : D7C68943
    CRC32 hash (skip zero)  : 80B14E13
    AccurateRip v1 signature : E50A1E94
    AccurateRip v2 signature : 2F2A82DA
        ->Accurately ripped (v1+v2, confidence 106+15/159)
    Statistics

No errors occurred

End of status report

My friends downloaded copy:

Exact Audio Copy V0.99 prebeta 5 from 4. May 2009

EAC extraction logfile from 11. April 2011, 0:44

Lou Reed / Berlin (Remastered)

Used drive  : HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B  Adapter: 3  ID: 1

Read mode              : Secure
Utilize accurate stream : Yes
Defeat audio cache      : Yes
Make use of C2 pointers : No

Read offset correction                      : 102
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out          : No
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks  : No
Null samples used in CRC calculations      : Yes
Used interface                              : Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000
Gap handling                                : Appended to previous track

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
Sample format      : 44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

TOC of the extracted CD

1  |  0:00.32 |  3:24.55 |        32    |    15386 
        2  |  3:25.12 |  3:39.70 |    15387    |    31881 
        3  |  7:05.07 |  4:38.35 |    31882    |    52766 
        4  | 11:43.42 |  3:57.08 |    52767    |    70549 
        5  | 15:40.50 |  3:42.37 |    70550    |    87236 
        6  | 19:23.12 |  5:14.70 |    87237    |  110856 
        7  | 24:38.07 |  4:13.33 |    110857    |  129864 
        8  | 28:51.40 |  7:55.00 |    129865    |  165489 
        9  | 36:46.40 |  5:51.25 |    165490    |  191839 
      10  | 42:37.65 |  6:56.50 |    191840    |  223089 

Track  1

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\01 Berlin.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:02.32

Peak level 66.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 6669771C
    Copy CRC 6669771C
    Accurately ripped (confidence 22)  [727217B8]
    Copy OK

Track  2

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\02 Lady Day.wav

Peak level 74.7 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 4CE12C1B
    Copy CRC 4CE12C1B
    Accurately ripped (confidence 22)  [B10F497A]
    Copy OK

Track  3

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\03 Men Of Good Fortune.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:01.42

Peak level 71.4 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 1102DB4F
    Copy CRC 1102DB4F
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [FCA6B8B2]
    Copy OK

Track  4

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\04 Caroline Says  I.wav

Peak level 74.3 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 18E13F44
    Copy CRC 18E13F44
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [E163AB58]
    Copy OK

Track  5

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\05 How Do You Think It Feels.wav

Peak level 74.4 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC EF90B5F7
    Copy CRC EF90B5F7
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [337B978F]
    Copy OK

Track  6

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\06 Oh, Jim.wav

Peak level 81.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 556B85E7
    Copy CRC 556B85E7
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [1637D6FE]
    Copy OK

Track  7

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\07 Caroline Says  II.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:04.22

Peak level 77.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 5F407756
    Copy CRC 5F407756
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [B9777DA3]
    Copy OK

Track  8

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\08 The Kids.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:00.18

Peak level 73.3 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC EF86990A
    Copy CRC EF86990A
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [1D642611]
    Copy OK

Track  9

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\09 The Bed.wav

Pre-gap length  0:00:04.68

Peak level 54.8 %
    Track quality 99.9 %
    Test CRC 9EBCF98E
    Copy CRC 9EBCF98E
    Accurately ripped (confidence 21)  [BE6FB4FF]
    Copy OK

Track 10

Filename J:\Lou Reed - Berlin (1973) [Original Album Classics - Remastered]\10 Sad Song.wav

Peak level 74.0 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Test CRC 314EF9EA
    Copy CRC 314EF9EA
    Accurately ripped (confidence 19)  [E954171E]
    Copy OK

All tracks accurately ripped

No errors occurred

End of status report

Berlin clearly matches, my log for Track 3 says 00:01:42 and the other 0:00:01.42.
Flamingo looks like it matches, the pregap for Track 2 in both images says 00.07.72, my log saying 00:01:72 and the other one says 0:00:01.96 however.
I completely understand what people are saying that factoring in mathematicals about frames etc that this is one and the same, but shouldn't that also Apply to Lou Reed's Berlin when they in fact correspond perfectly?

Basically, would some kind soul take a quick look over the log files and tell me if everything is actually one and the same and all is OK and that I'm just being a tart. I've been steadily ripping through my 1000+ CD collection the past couple of years and I get how XLD works and have all the settings right how I need them but this is all going a little out of my comfort zone. Weird little things like this just get under my skin and until I know how and why it all works it will just bug the f*cuk outta me until I do.

Again, sorry to be a huge pain, I will get in eventually... probably...

Reply #18
Why would anyone even care for pregaps (apart from HTOA) is beyond me... do you actually burn that CD and watch the countdown on the display when playing? Because that's the only thing those INDEX00s do.

Reply #19
I'm betting you overlooked my reply when you posted that.

You replied while I was writing my reply, it did take a while, sorry. 
I get the general idea now. I'm sorry to have troubled everyone over one live album. Since that was the first album I've pretty much acquired from the interwebs and considering the headache it has given me likely to be the last it's most likely not gonna be a problem again. Just wanted to understand why something does something, all part of learning y'know? Don't learn unless you ask.

I can tell I'm clearly getting on your nerves so I'm gonna step out now. I'm not gonna pretend I understand all the technicalities and the Berlin comparison of both albums having the same pre-gap though one rip showing 00:01:42 and the other 0:00:01.42 while Brandon Flowers' album shows having the same pre-gap despite one rip showing 00:01:72 and the other 0:00:01.96 seems to be inconsistent to me.

00:01:42 and 00:01.42 are not the same amount of time!

I searched for these rips and the first CD is "Lou Reed - Berlin [1998 Remastered]" while the second is from "Lou Reed - Original Album Classics (5 CDs Slipcase) (2008) [Sony-BMG]" (of course, if we can trust to torrents). So you compare two different discs in this case.

OTOH, 00:01:72 is the same as 0:00:01.96.

That kinda blows my mind a little. 00:01:42 and 0:00:01.42 not being the same time makes my head spin. As far as I know (which is not a lot) MY version of Berlin is the same as the one my mate acquired, or at least is the same master, which is the 1999 version, I guess all discs are a little different. Certainly looking at them in a WAV editor the tracks look the same length but at that level they probably would, wouldn't they.

Why would anyone even care for pregaps (apart from HTOA) is beyond me... do you actually burn that CD and watch the countdown on the display when playing? Because that's the only thing those INDEX00s do.

OCD is a bitch. If something says one thing and then is something else I need to work out why and who better to ask than the experts? I'm not gonna loose sleep over a few misplaced milliseconds, but I do like to know why something is the way it is, and more importantly in the case of the rip, whether it is an accurate rip or some internet troll putting a dud out there.

Anyway, I've taken up enough of everyones valuable time. I deeply appreciate all the time and input everyone has given into helping me solve this little puzzle of mine and cheers for having the patience to not scream with rage while the ol' cogs slowly grind it all over. At this technical level it's still a bit beyond me but I at least see that I'm not going crazy and there is some sense to be made.
Unless anyone is insane enough to give me a detailed one to one lesson on the finer complexities of pre-gaps and time mathematics, feel free to close or let this one slide.

Reply #20
You still aren't getting it.

Let me reiterate:
different drives and detection methods will give different pregap results

He should just be aware that the accuracy of the non-01 pregap times from his own rips are just as questionable as those being downloaded.

As for the math, do you understand how to convert 75ths into decimal?
Divide X by 75.

To go from decimal to 75ths:
.XX times 75. (,XX if you live in a place that uses a decimal comma instead of a decimal point)

Reply #21
As for the math, do you understand how to convert 75ths into decimal?
Divide X by 75.

To go from decimal to 75ths:
.XX times 75. (,XX if you live in a place that uses a decimal comma instead of a decimal point)

That is actually quite helpful for me, I generally happiest on the English side of academia rather than the mathematical.
Thanks again.

Reply #23
Being told that exact pregap detection is a fantasy was not equally as helpful?

Helpful but seemingly illogical at the time, at least from a novice's perspective like mine. I always figured pre-gaps were locked at manufacture the same as track lengths, not a fluid factor that could change on the ripper and drive. Certainly have learnt something new at any rate.