Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playstation .psf files in 24 bit | 192 khz Studio Master Quality? (Read 2418 times) previous topic - next topic

Playstation .psf files in 24 bit | 192 khz Studio Master Quality?

Hello!

I love the fact that the snesapu 3rd party plugin can play the original spc sets of the super nintendo in max. 32 bit and 192 khz, which is by defintion (more) than Studio Master quality.

As far as I know the snesapu plugin emulates the original snes soundchip, and because it is not sample based it can create max. 32 bit and 192 khz.

so finally my question is: are the original .psf files of the playstation 1 (2 and 3 as well) not sample based as well?

because on the web it says so. but i cannot change the bits per sample and the khz in the psf decoder settings.

it would be awesome to listen to some psx soundtracks in best possible quality, so if anyone knows a way to do so please tell me!

Re: Playstation .psf files in 24 bit | 192 khz Studio Master Quality?

Reply #1
I have almost no idea what you're talking about, but if something wasn't recorded at 192kHz, playing it back at 192kHz isn't going to increase quality. Also, you should read around on this forum. You might be surprised that the general consensus here is that 192kHz is snakeoil, and it's impossible for a human to tell the difference.

Reply #2
Even if those files are not sample based as you call it, and sound from them is generated on the fly from instructions, you must keep in mind the hardware that they were intended for. And neither NES/SNES nor PlayStation 1/2 hardware were capable of generating/outputting samplerates and bit depths as you are talking about. Thus instructions contained in such files doesn't allow for creating sounds in 192k, so processing them in such oversampled environment is useless as it can't add any content to the resulting sound. In other words there will be no quality increase. I am not sure about hardware capabilities of PS3 regarding sound processing and output, however I am pretty sure, that due to optimization in computational power, sound from games was still limited to good old Red Book - 44.1k in 16 bit resolution.
So don't waste your time for bullshit and searching for Holy Grail. Just enjoy the game music as it is.

Reply #3
The only plugin capable of producing SPC sets at greater than 32000Hz 16 bit stereo, is not reproducing them accurately. Anything on top of that is purely an extension of the software. Whether a developer chooses to extend on top of that is their own decision.

Extending these sound chips thus requires emulating the hardware reverb effects to a larger buffer that scales with the sample rate, and thus, is not capable of being stored in the sound chip's own memory, but instead the player's own external buffer. Even barring that restriction, you need to scale up all volume envelopes to match the new sample rate. And most proper resampling algorithms will not magically make new high frequency information appear, and even if they did, it would not be audible, as it is all ultrasonic information.

192/24 is pure marketing bullshit, and you won't find me leaping to support it with any of my own plugins. The fact that SNESAPU supports anything like that is because it's not my own library, and I merely forked an existing component to support it.

Forks or other libraries are welcome if anyone really wants to buy into this nonsense.

Reply #4
192/24 is pure marketing bullshit, and you won't find me leaping to support it with any of my own plugins. The fact that SNESAPU supports anything like that is because it's not my own library, and I merely forked an existing component to support it.

Well, to be honest I've just read an article a few months ago that high-res audio files come close to vinyl. then i checked the new guano apes remaster in high-res audio. there was a difference, but only on this record due to new mixing.

now i've read some new things. ok, you're right it seems. you know i am quiet happy with 16 bit 44100 Hz. but as a music lover and foobar user it would be awesome to have all these videogame files played in high-res audio - if it would be near vinyl quality.

but it seems it is not.

and hey. if there is an article that says high-res audio comes close to vinyl - why shouldn't I believe on first sight?

Reply #5
You should know that vinyl as a medium is worse than CD.

Reply #6
and hey. if there is an article that says high-res audio comes close to vinyl - why shouldn't I believe on first sight?
Probably because they're trying to sell you something, either a product or their own "audiophile" expertise. It's okay if you believed the lies (we all start out having to defer to "experts"), so long as you're willing to get educated.

Read this: Vinyl Myths.
Also read this on 24/192: https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

This forum takes a science based approach, and claiming you can hear a difference is considered worthless without proof. Check out the Terms of Service, particularly number 8.

Reply #8
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)
here you need to manually write ")" symbol at the end of address in your browser - at least if Firefox 52 ESR. Or just click this link.

once again, and for the last time, i need to say i just trusted the high res audio hype. from vhs to dvd to bluray the quality (resolution) of visual content got better, so i just believed high res audio will be this step for audio content. but i need to figure this out for myself for sure, but i was definitely planning to buy better soundcard, soundsystem, etc..

at the end of the day I AM happy with my audio cd collection. there are all in the same specs, 16bits 44,1 khz, and this somehow is giving me a good feeling. but i would go for a better sound if there "would be" one.

finally it seems to be very tricky. i've listened to a guano apes record from 1997 that got released in highr es audio last year.

yes! it sounded better, but after some hours finding out why i have to admit it seems it is just a different mix of the tracks.

the same with cd and vinyl. the effect when someone says "hey, vinyl sounds better because of this and that", and you listen to vinyl, you somehow maybe listen to it with different ears.

finally. having my audio cds ripped in .flac became "the standard" for me, and i am absolutly happy with the sound as it is.