Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Omni Encoder 1.0 Released (Read 275967 times) previous topic - next topic

Omni Encoder 1.0 Released

Reply #150
I noticed that when doing batch encodes/reencodes that Omni decodes ALL tracks to WAVs in the system temp directory before starting the encoding process.  Couldn't this be a big issue with disk space on systems with a large music collection if doing a library reencode?  I mention it because a lot of people do FLAC->FLAC when a new version comes out.

Could this be changed to process one file at a time, or one album at a time?

Not to bug about this, but is this planned to be changed?  This is a major drawback for me from using this program on a mass scale.

Reply #151
Also...is it portable meaning I can take it on a flash drive and it will write there and no where else? Does it have registry entries it puts in?

No registry keys, though it does save settings in your Application Data folder. You can certainly just copy it to a flash drive, though I'm only distributing it via Windows installer right now.

I noticed that when doing batch encodes/reencodes that Omni decodes ALL tracks to WAVs in the system temp directory before starting the encoding process.  Couldn't this be a big issue with disk space on systems with a large music collection if doing a library reencode?  I mention it because a lot of people do FLAC->FLAC when a new version comes out.

Not to bug about this, but is this planned to be changed?  This is a major drawback for me from using this program on a mass scale.

It doesn't do what you're saying. It does one album at a time (although, if none of them have album tags, it will do them all as one big album).

For me, I discovered pretty quickly that "Delete Source Files after conversion" isn't entirely accurate.  When I was converting a rip with that option checked, I hit abort and lost my files.

Good point, I'll change the wording. Technically it deletes them during the "decoding" step.

Reply #152

It doesn't do what you're saying. It does one album at a time (although, if none of them have album tags, it will do them all as one big album).

Unfortunately I think it does.  I dragged my A Perfect Circle directory containing two albums, Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step (all properly tagged) onto Omni.  All 24 files were loaded.  I then selected to mirror the directory structure and set it to go.  I watched it decode all 24 files to WAVs before reencoding to FLAC (this is just a test).  It then errors out and stops when changing albums as described above.  Neither does it copy the album art located in folder.jpg..............................

EDIT:  In the middle of writing this........I realized this is probably happening because Omni is not recognizing my album or genre tags in my mp3s.  Any idea why this would be?  mp3tag reports at id3v1 and id3v2.4 and reads the tags fine, as does foobar.

Reply #153
I installed .NET Framework 2.0 and then Omni Encoder 1.3 but when I run it I receive these two error messages:

My OS is Windows 98SE. Is it supported? There's nothing about system requirements in the home page.

Reply #154
EDIT:  In the middle of writing this........I realized this is probably happening because Omni is not recognizing my album or genre tags in my mp3s.  Any idea why this would be?  mp3tag reports at id3v1 and id3v2.4 and reads the tags fine, as does foobar.

Does Omni encoder list the album information when you add those files? If not, it can't read them. I use metamp3.exe for tag parsing, and I don't think it can read v2.4 (just 2.3). It shouldn't be erroring out though... just treating them as one album. What does the error message say?

My OS is Windows 98SE. Is it supported? There's nothing about system requirements in the home page.

I didn't even know .NET 2.0 was supported in 98SE. I'll add a note saying it isn't supported. Never tested on anything below XP.

98 is like, 10 years old now! Contemporize!

Reply #155
A few questions:

1. The "delete after conversion" setting:
Does it delete as soon as a file is converted or after a whole batch is converted?

2. Do you intend to add a generic command line encoder support? i would surely use omni if it would delete a file as soon as it was converted, and if it supported CLI (i need support for TAK).

thanks.

Reply #156
1. The "delete after conversion" setting:
Does it delete as soon as a file is converted or after a whole batch is converted?

I can answer this one.  It deletes the file as soon as its decoded, i.e. BEFORE its converted.

Reply #157

Does Omni encoder list the album information when you add those files? If not, it can't read them. I use metamp3.exe for tag parsing, and I don't think it can read v2.4 (just 2.3). It shouldn't be erroring out though... just treating them as one album. What does the error message say?

No, album and genre info is blank.  I'm assuming since you use metamp3 that it can't read the v2.4 tags.  Bummer.  It is strange though because it reads the Artist, Title, and Track info.  Both albums are decoded/encoded as <Unknown Album>.  It does error out as I said above, though.  On the first track of what would be the second album, it says it can't write the file -

C:\test\\01 - The Package.flac

I think the problem is the \\ in the path.  It should be

C:\test\Thirteenth Step\01 - The Package.flac

Since I'm mirroring the directory structure of the original, it shouldn't matter that it can't read my album tag.  So I don't know what's going on.  It works fine for the first album -

C:\test\Mer de Noms\01 - Hollow.flac  .....  etc.

It also is not copying my folder.jpg to the new directory, even though it is showing up in the main window.  This applies for the first album as well.

I should mention that if I do just one file and specify a directory, it is encoded just fine and the album art is copied, but not when dropping a directory as I described.

Reply #158
Good point, I'll change the wording. Technically it deletes them during the "decoding" step.

Did you seriously mean to say that you'll change the wording?  A much better idea would be to change how the program functions to the current wording.  It is a BAD, BAD idea to delete a source file before the operation being performed upon it is complete.  In addition to losing all your files when aborting the encode, FLAC's Verify command certainly loses all purpose if the source is erased before the result is reported.

And what exactly is the use in decoding an album at a time, vs. decoding files as needed?  What offsets the potential to unexpectedly and suddenly find an additional few GB of your hard-disk swallowed up in temporary files (in the case of tagless/unrecognizably-tagged files and multi-disc albums)?

I don't mean to be harsh, but you're ignoring some pretty basic tenants of program design...

Reply #159

Did you seriously mean to say that you'll change the wording?  A much better idea would be to change how the program functions to the current wording.  It is a BAD, BAD idea to delete a source file before the operation being performed upon it is complete.  In addition to losing all your files when aborting the encode, FLAC's Verify command certainly loses all purpose if the source is erased before the result is reported.

Yes, that is a better solution, and it will also take more time.
And what exactly is the use in decoding an album at a time, vs. decoding files as needed?  What offsets the potential to unexpectedly and suddenly find an additional few GB of your hard-disk swallowed up in temporary files (in the case of tagless/unrecognizably-tagged files and multi-disc albums)?

Because certain things (Album ReplayGain processing) require the full album the be decoded and analyzed before conversion.
I don't mean to be harsh, but you're ignoring some pretty basic tenants of program design...

Oh yeah? I agreed I should change that function... I'm open to suggestions, but fuck off with the insults. The source is available and since you obviously studied "basic programming tenants" you're probably more qualified to improve this program than I am.

Reply #160
Jebus, any plans to have something like CLI encoder in dbpoweramp?

Reply #161

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so.  He's previously stated his opposition to letting the user mess with command line options. 

Because certain things (Album ReplayGain processing) require the full album the be decoded and analyzed before conversion.

I'm pretty sure album-mode ReplayGain can be applied after the entire album has finished encoding.  And basing the ReplayGain on the output of the newly encoded files, rather than the source, would certainly be appropriate.  Although there will probably only be a significant difference when encoding at lower bitrates, and there's the disadvantage of having to decode twice.  But I don't think there's any need to decode an entire album to disk simultaneously.  Wouldn't it also be possible -- for example -- to decode one track, analyze it before encoding, pass on the the track gain and encode, delete that WAV and start decoding the next track... and then at the end of the album use the accumulated RG data to calculate the album gain, and tag it onto the encoded files?

Either of those ways, it's much harder to overfill the user's HDD with temporary files since the worst-case scenario becomes the size of the user's longest track...  compared to the current worst-case scenario, which is the combined size of all of the user's tracks.

Oh yeah? I agreed I should change that function... I'm open to suggestions, but fuck off with the insults. The source is available and since you obviously studied "basic programming tenants" you're probably more qualified to improve this program than I am.

Hrm, I actually didn't realize the source was available.  Unfortunately, I don't have VS, and don't really feel like giving the "express" version a whirl just for this.

Reply #162

No, but its pretty easy to create a new module yourself, and I plan on making a TAK module very soon.

Reply #163
OmniEncoder stops transcoding if it encounters errors in the middle of process. It would be good to have some error resilence.

Example:
Transcoding
http://www.zshare.net/audio/broken-mp3-k2y.html
to Ogg Vorbis, VorbisComments turned On.

The files after that mp3 (with slightly broken ID3v2 unicode tag) won't be processed.

Reply #164
K, i took a bit of a break, but I'm working on it again...

I think for version 2.0 I'm going to do a bunch of work-in-progress releases, since 1.0 was basically a work in progress anyhow . I want the final release to be super-stable and feature complete.

So far I've fixed/changed the way art is handled... memory usage has been cut in half, and the writing of Folder.jpg images from tag info now actually works.

I'll add in some more of the simpler features, add updated codecs, and then put out a 2.0a1 release.

Reply #165
Hi,

OmniEncoder looks good..

I installed the latest OmniEncoder 1.3 version on windows XP Home, initially it said it needed .netframeowrk 2.x .. I installed the .net 3.x framework (latest) and tried the install again.  The install completed OK.

However, when I try to 'Add Files' or 'Add Folders', the files / folders are not being added to the list, so I am not able to convert anything.  Is .net 2.057 or whatever a hard requirement? Does the program work with .net 3.x?  I tried files that are on my hard disk as well as the CD, to no availa..

Separately, I assume the files can be directly added from the CD Drive without being copied to the hard disk?  Do I have to 'Add Folder' in that case?  for some reason, at the point where OmniEncoder interacts with Explorer, it does not see to display any level lower than the CD Drive.

Reply #166
However, when I try to 'Add Files' or 'Add Folders', the files / folders are not being added to the list, so I am not able to convert anything.  Is .net 2.057 or whatever a hard requirement? Does the program work with .net 3.x?  I tried files that are on my hard disk as well as the CD, to no availa..

It works fine with 3.0 (3.0 is just 2.0 with some vista-centric new features). For some reason, the "add folder" toolbar button doesn't work, but the file option does (as does drag-n-drop). I've removed it from the toolbar in 2.0 since I couldn't figure out why.
Separately, I assume the files can be directly added from the CD Drive without being copied to the hard disk?  Do I have to 'Add Folder' in that case?  for some reason, at the point where OmniEncoder interacts with Explorer, it does not see to display any level lower than the CD Drive.

You have to use a separate ripper. Omni can work in conjunction with Exact Audio Copy, but it is a somewhat complicated app to get working.

Reply #167
You have to use a separate ripper. Omni can work in conjunction with Exact Audio Copy, but it is a somewhat complicated app to get working.

Really? I thought that OmniEncoder had an option while installing to integrate with EAC.

Reply #168
nice little app. what are the chances of implementing native cueshseet support? it would make life much easier for my itunes AAC encoding...

keep up the great work

Reply #169
Hi

I am looking for a tool to sync my FLAC and MP3 libraries.  Specifically something that I can aim at my flac library and have it transcode the stuff that has been added since the last time I did it.  Can this tool help?

Reply #170
nice little app. what are the chances of implementing native cueshseet support? it would make life much easier for my itunes AAC encoding...

keep up the great work

What sort of cuesheet support are you suggesting?

I'm working on 2.0 now more avidly... for some reason I always feel like coding in July.

Reply #171
Good to hear that Jebus..I stopped by the other day to see if 2.0 was available... and I was afraid you abandoned the thing...
Hope to see all the UI improvements soon

Gonza

Reply #172
So this may or may not be a disappointment for some of you...

I've decided to do a partial rewrite to bring the code up to .NET 3.5 level, using the new WPF GUI library. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to redo the settings panels now if i'm completely rewriting them anyhow.

What I have done for now is still pretty substantial, at least under the hood. I'm going to post it later tonight as version 1.4. Version 2.0 probably won't be released until .NET 3.5 is final, towards the end of the year now. Sorry!

Changelog:
* Updated to the latest FLAC, OggEnc, WavPack, iTunes and Nero versions.
* Substantially reduced memory usage while converting with album art included.
* Direct transcoding (no decoding phase) for many operations (FLAC->FLAC, FLAC->Ogg etc.)
* Unsupported tags (Composer, etc.) are now (for some codecs) preserved during reencoding.
* The menu bar now displays the currently selected encoder.
* Various bug fixes.

A few of these changes were pretty invasive, so while I hope there are no bugs, please be careful when converting your entire library.

Jeremy

Reply #173
1.4.1 is available now

edit: Updated to 1.4.1 (fixed a FLAC decoding bug, and an Ogg encoding bug)

Reply #174
Hi Jebus, thanks for the new version, we appreciate your work.

Just found an issue when I try to use it for bulk encoding:

I am adding (drag and drop) a folder with many sub-folders with many sub-folders again, and with many wavpack files each... it adds up to 81 files and stops there. There are many more files that are not being added.
I try again, this time with the menu function "add folder". Then it adds up to 81 files, and stops with an exception:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at OmniEncoder.API.AudioFile.set_Title(String value)
  at TagModule.TagReader.Parse(AudioFile audioFile)
  at OmniEncoder.TagReaders.Parse(AudioFile audioFile)

etc

Thanks, if you need more details about what i am doing, pls let me know!

Gonza