Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help me set up the best way to rip and tag FLAC with EAC 1.0 beta 3 (Read 10902 times) previous topic - next topic

Help me set up the best way to rip and tag FLAC with EAC 1.0 beta 3

Hi, I'm willing to rip my CD collection to high/best mp3 quality. I have read some tutorials but all I found are for older versions and most of them are for .flac.

Can anyone help me to configure my settings to get the best result? I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Reply #1
try this

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

Make sure you read the important note at the top.

for best quaility change -V2 to -b 320.

or for best quality and save a little disk space change -V2 to -V0.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #3
I found another guide, actually I decided to rip my collection to .flac, after that I'll make them .mp3 with dbpoweramp.

I have another issue though...When I rip the cd's with EAC 1.0 beta 3 to .flac, it doesn't show "Contributing artist" nor "Album" or "lenght", is there any way to make the ripped files to show that in windows explorer?

Reply #4
FLACs natively use tags in the Vorbis format. Windows Explorer doesn't read this format.

Someone wrote a FLAC "property handler" which adds support to Explorer (Win7 or Vista only). No guarantees, but it's working for me. The author's blog disappeared, but the installer is floating around; e.g. the mediafire link in the middle of this thread (click). If you're worried about viruses, run the installer via Sandboxie.

Alternatively, you can add ID3 tags to your FLACs, but their presence is not expected in FLACs and may cause problems. At the very least, it creates a situation where there are two sets of tags to try to keep in sync, and audio apps likely are only going to read & write one of them.

Reply #5
try this

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_and_Lame

Make sure you read the important note at the top.

for best quaility change -V2 to -b 320.

or for best quality and save a little disk space change -V2 to -V0.

Thanks for your reply, I'll do that =)

Just to know, could you explain me the difference between  -b320, -v2, -v0 and - v8 (this is the one that says in the guide you gave me the link for), just want to know the main difference please, thanks =)

Reply #6
The point of lossy compression is to save space while attempting to provide a certain level of quality. The level of quality can range from transparent, to near transparent, to having easily audible artifacts that are not annoying to having artifacts that are annoying but don't matter because of the nature of the source material.

Encoding to 320 CBR is borderline stupidity if not pure stupidity. It still does not guarantee transparency nor has it been able to demonstrate superiority over -V0 in a general sense.

To really ascertain the best setting in order to minimize space one should perform double-blind tests and these tests should begin at a quality level where audible artifacts are known to exist and then work your way up from there until you are satisfied with the quality vs file size. I would begin by encoding some of your favorite tracks at -V5. Unless you have trained yourself to identify artifacts or are particularly gifted/cursed with the ability to hear the most subtle ones, you'll likely find you don't even need to use -V2.

Of all those who recommend -V2 or higher I'd like to know how many have actually tested something lower and found it to be unsatisfactory. I'm of the belief that most who use -V2 or higher are either going with the monkey see monkey do approach or have made a conscious decision that the given bitrate fits within some budget that (hopefully?) provides some kind of "safety margin" that has likely never been tested.

With this in mind, those interested in quality vs. bitrate ought to consider whether other formats will better suit their needs.

Reply #7
Is it time to revisit our own article on LAME (also partially duplicated in the official LAME docs), then?

@SkidRow - the differences between the settings you asked about are explained at those links.

Reply #8
Calls for changes have been made in the past, so IMO the time for that is long overdue.

At a minimum, the asinine idea that mp3 can be used for "archiving" needs to be permanently retired.

Reply #9
At a minimum, the asinine idea that mp3 can be used for "archiving" needs to be permanently retired.

The concept of CD "archiving" should itself be retired. It's nonsene. As if people are putting in the time and effort of ripping and tagging hundreds or thousands of CDs as a means of protecting themselves from the CDs being lost by fire or theft. They're doing all that work to be able to listen to the music by means other than spinning the CD.

Reply #10
Thanks a lot to everyone for their responses, it's good to know all that since I'm not a computer expert but I do love my music.

Just to clear a point...I decided to rip my CD collection to .flac (Around a 1,000 cd's) because I read that if I transcode to mp3 it would be like ripping directly from the CD. So, to make it clear, I don't want to rip my cd's again ever if sometime there's a better way to do it, I could transcode from the .flac's I'm going to rip.

I have my EAC 1.0 beta 3 ready, I downloaded the flac.exe, all I need now is the "additional command line option" to rip the best quality flacs.

According to a tutorial I read, it said it should be "-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%"

But, Greynol, you say if I put -2 instead, it will be better quality? I mean, I should change the "-6" to "-2"? or it's somewhere else?

Thanks for all responses I hope someone expert in this topic can set my "additional command line option" to rip my whole collection to .flac high quality please. Thanks guys.

Reply #11
Where did I say to use -2?

You began this discussion about mp3, then said you want to rip to flac only to turn around again and ask about mp3 quality.

Seeing that you decided to go blindly down the "I want best quality mp3 possible" path, I thought I'd offer a little insight.

Reply #13
Sorry Greynol, I misunderstood then, my bad.

@db1989 - Thank you, so that means the additional command line is correct as it is right?

I promise this is my last question, I'm sorry for bothering too much...

I followed the steps from the tutorial. When I get to the step to click "Detect gaps" and after that "Create CUE sheet" and select "Multiple WAV files with gaps...(Noncompliant". It creates the file in the folder I select, after the CD is ripped, sometimes I have to manually correct some filenames, but that makes the CUE sheet to skip those tracks in the audio player. Is there any way to make the CUE sheet to work after I renamed some files? I promise it's the last question, if there's nothing to do about that I'll just let it be, it's not a big deal, just asking if something can be done about that.

Reply #16
File names must be the same in the cuesheet as on the disc. That’s the purpose of FILE lines. The player cannot just guess what it’s meant to play without being told. So, if you’re asking whether it’s possible to rename files however you like and play them via a cue-sheet without updating it accordingly – no, it’s not.

@db1989 - Thank you, so that means the additional command line is correct as it is right?
That depends upon whether you want FLAC to try harder to compress the same data, possibly taking longer whilst only achieving a modest reduction in file size. The quality will be the same in all cases, as implied by the word lossless.
You might be interested in reading the numerous previous threads about FLAC’s different compression levels, their trade-offs, and whether you think it’s worth your while to use anything other than the default setting.

Reply #17
Why are you asking this forum for help when you're relying on some other forum's tutorial?

Reply #18
File names must be the same in the cuesheet as on the disc. That’s the purpose of FILE lines. The player cannot just guess what it’s meant to play without being told. So, if you’re asking whether it’s possible to rename files however you like and play them via a cue-sheet without updating it accordingly – no, it’s not.

That depends upon whether you want FLAC to try harder to compress the same data, possibly taking longer whilst only achieving a modest reduction in file size. The quality will be the same in all cases, as implied by the word lossless.
You might be interested in reading the numerous previous threads about FLAC’s different compression levels, their trade-offs, and whether you think it’s worth your while to use anything other than the default setting.

Ok thanks a lot, I appreciate it, all my doubts are clear now, thanks a lot and sorry for all the bothering.

Reply #19
The concept of CD "archiving" should itself be retired. It's nonsene. As if people are putting in the time and effort of ripping and tagging hundreds or thousands of CDs as a means of protecting themselves from the CDs being lost by fire or theft. They're doing all that work to be able to listen to the music by means other than spinning the CD.
In your opinion. I rip and tag for both reasons, and for a third one - the ability to re-encode for portable use by simply firing up a batch file then drinking tea and watching TV while the computer does all of the work.

Reply #20
Why are you asking this forum for help when you're relying on some other forum's tutorial?

Because I had a doubt that is not specified in your tutorial, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my doubts, all I was asking it was for a little help to clear my doubts, if it's a so big deal for you I'm sorry then it was not my intention.

Either way I'm done here, thanks.

Reply #22
click "Detect gaps"

The guide you mentioned actually says:
First, hit "Detect Gaps". This is very important, your rip will fail the logchecker if you do not complete this step.

The people who write these guides are not infallible. I realize they're only trying to help, but they have trouble distinguishing ripping requirements from the requirements of the little fiefdoms in which they share said rips, and this blurriness is unwittingly imparted to readers like you. In this case, you should know that a logchecker is a script that certain illicit file-trading forums use to test and reject rips that don't contain sufficient evidence to indicate that the rip is original, "complete", and error-free.

Gap detection occurs automatically when the cue sheet is generated, and the collected info goes into the cue sheet, where it belongs and serves a useful purpose. So for the purpose of making a good rip, the advice to click "Detect Gaps" can be ignored, unless you're not generating a cue sheet (but then you shouldn't be concerned about gaps at all).

If you run manual gap detection beforehand, all you're doing is changing when it happens, and you're making the gap info additionally show up in the rip log, where it serves no purpose, and you're making the info show up in the EAC main window, where it serves only an unrelated purpose: it allows you to see whether the current combination of CD, drive, interface and gap detection method (in EAC's configuration) is producing reasonable gap detection results.

On rare occasion, with some CDs, on some drives, gaps may be detected incorrectly or with some degree of variance, and changing the gap detection method may help (or not). So if you do gap detection and see in the main EAC window that all the gaps are a fraction of a second, or if some are unreasonably long, then you need to try a different method or a different drive; the audio data and track boundaries will be fine, but the sub-track boundaries (gaps/indexes) probably won't be. This was happening for me on 1 out of maybe 100 CDs with an old drive I was using; on a new drive, I haven't seen it happen, ever.

[Also, minor nitpick: non-native English speakers often confuse the nouns "doubt" and "question". "Doubt" implies skepticism or belief that something is false, whereas "question" implies curiosity, and is almost always the word you want when asking questions in forums.

Reply #23
not infallible

Moronic comes to mind , though it just shows the level to which I dislike this type of behavior, especially since these cabals have demonstrated time and again that they don't understand DAE beyond what they once read on the coaster factory, which itself had fallacies.

In this case, you should know that a logchecker is a script that certain illicit file-trading forums use to test and reject rips that don't contain sufficient evidence to indicate that the rip is original, "complete", and error-free.

I'd put error-free in scary quotes too.

So for the purpose of making a good rip, the advice to click "Detect Gaps" can be ignored, unless you're not generating a cue sheet (but then you shouldn't be concerned about gaps at all).

To add for the sake of completeness, a "good rip" really need not include a cue sheet.  People who think such a file is necessary for making the most exact duplicate of a disc should ask themselves whether that disc actually had cd-text.

[Also, minor nitpick: non-native English speakers often confuse the nouns "doubt" and "question". "Doubt" implies skepticism or belief that something is false, whereas "question" implies curiosity, and is almost always the word you want when asking questions in forums.

I wonder if I should change my signature.

With regards to the tutorial and the piracy-aid, that is the operative.  I very much have doubt.

Reply #24
You're right, if you don't intend to burn an "exact copy" of the non-audio content to CD-R, then cue sheets aren't even needed.

Preserving CD-TEXT isn't even a compelling reason to generate a cue sheet, since CD-TEXT usually isn't even scanned for (you have to enable it in EAC, and your drive has to support it), and when it is present, it's often of dubious quality. The CD-TEXT data in the cue sheet is normally filled in with data from sources other than the CD anyway. I bet not a single cue sheet in those high-falutin' file-sharing forums has actual scanned CD-TEXT instead of freedb/Gracenote/MusicBrainz/Discogs data...