Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain tagging help!!! (Read 1063 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain tagging help!!!

Hello, I'm a bit new to ReplayGain and don't understand how to tag that info.

I have a bunch of digitally downloaded CD masterings from the 80s and 90s and they weren't really mastered with headphones in mind, more for stereos and speakers where the sharper and shoutier details would really come out.

In my case, I'm trying to lower the volume for some of my albums as they're too sharp and shouty sounding, with the volume lowered, I can start adding them to shuffle playlists.

So if I run a replaygain scan either for single track or album, how do I actually save the replaygain tag info so another music program could read them?

Re: ReplayGain tagging help!!!

Reply #1
how do I actually save the replaygain tag info so another music program could read them?
Right click on track(s) -> ReplayGain -> Apply gain to file content...
See info here. Works only for specific (lossy) formats (e.g. mp3, m4a/aac)!

Reply #2
Hello, I'm a bit new to ReplayGain and don't understand how to tag that info.

Assuming they are well-tagged with no duplicates:
Select all, right-click, Replay Gain, scan as albums (by tags).
If you are less sure about consistent tagging, but know that every album is in one folder only: consider "(by folders)" instead.

Then you let it run. And then when it opens the window saying it is done, you confirm to save the tags.

There are more "advanced" options, like scanning for "true" peak. See Preferences -> Tools -> ReplayGain Scanner. Will give more accurate results, will take more time to scan.

The reply you got from @MojoBass concerns how to alter the audio content for players that do not support ReplayGain.

Reply #3
Actually, I found out how to manually change the gain by selecting all the tracks in a album after scanning them and then clicking properties, within Properties there is the ReplayGain section. Thank you for your suggestions!

Reply #4
If you have some rules to apply, say this part of your collection you want to bump down by 2 dB, there are tricks to do this automatically too. But if your issue is that THIS particular track is wrong, then manual settings are just fine.

Note that foobar2000 will let you select whether to limit according to peak to prevent clipping. Think over that before increasing any levels.