Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: XLD Locks Up While Detecting Gaps (Read 8777 times) previous topic - next topic

XLD Locks Up While Detecting Gaps

I am running the latest version of XLD on the latest version of 10.6 on a 27" imac. My XLD used to work great, and I had ripped many things on it but today when I went to backup a CD I just bought as soon as I 'opened' the CD and it attempted to detect the pregaps it just froze. The progress bar didn't at all it just instantly froze and I had to restart my computer. Has anyone every heard of this before? I would rather avoid having to boot into windows to configure then use EAC.

Reply #1
When you say froze and had to restart do you mean XLD froze or the whole computer became unresponsive ?

I had XLD freeze a few times while detecting gaps, it was just a matter of force quitting XLD and and re launching it.

Reply #2
XLD freezes and refuses to force quit and when I restart, the computer just sits at a white screen until I turn it off and back on again. It happens every time though, I can't rip this disc.

Reply #3
The words "copy protection" jump immediately to mind...

Do you know/can you tell from the liner notes or back of the jewel case if this particular disc has been mastered with some fan-fu*k-ing-tastic "copy protection" scheme?

That usually results in a non-Redbook compliant CD, i.e. a bastardized disc, and some drives do not like those at all (for instance, Sony drives not being able to read Sony-replicated CDs...  )
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #4
I have tried a few different discs with no luck, the one I was trying to backup just now was this one: http://www.discogs.com/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppe...release/1510678 it was brand new, never played and doesn't seem to say anything about copy protection but just kept locking up XLD. I ended up booting into windoze and using eac and everything went just fine but I would still like to figure out why XLD is doing that.

Reply #5
but I would still like to figure out why XLD is doing that.

Ditto.

What ripping engine are you using in XLD?  Burst, Paranoia, or XLD Secure?

That it rips fine via EAC under Windows rules out the drive itself, so that's definitely helpful.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #6
It also rules out copy protection if  EAC ripped it in a Windows environment. I could be wrong but those "copy protected" CDs can't implement their schemes in OSX(?)

This may or may not resolve your problem: try reinstalling and reconfiguring XLD. I haven't tried XLD yet so admittedly don't know too much about it. (I will next month when I get a Mac Mini mainly for the kids.)
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #7
If you press  'Option, Command & Esc" all at the same time you should them be able to force quit xld. If your computer is getting stuck during booting and needs to be re booted it could be a different issue all together. Have you tried repairing permissions ?

Reply #8
Well the boot problem only happens once, and only right after XLD locks up. I will try reinstalling/reconfiguring XLD next.

Reply #9
I just booted from my OSX install disc and repaired permissions and it works now, very off. How does something like that happen?

Reply #10
It happens to me occasionally on Win7. I had a problem with EAC losing its settings once. It drove me crazy to the point where I was yelling at my computer while no one was even around! I've no idea what happened. My experience with OSX is a bit limited at present. If there's a way to back up your settings for critical apps, I would do so. Computers are computers. Win7 and Snow Leopard are both considered reasonably stable from what I've read. ...but something can (and eventually will) go wrong. Backing up your drive on a regular basis is never a bad idea for Windows or Macintosh.

I think Billytheonion, or other more dedicated Mac-users here, will be of far more specific help than me. I'm interested though  Glad you got it working right again.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #11
Oh I didn't lose any settings, everything is back to normal. It ended up being a disk permissions issue, I'm just not sure how your permissions get out of whack in the first place.

Reply #12
Before booting  with the OS X disc, try repairing permission with "Disc Utility" in your Application/Utilities folder. If that doesn't do the trick then use your OS X install disc. They get messed up due to Programming errors. Some dodgy software that has been installed.

Reply #13
Well I tried that first but it stopped about 90% of the way through and wouldn't make any more progress so I did it from the OSX disc and it went through without a problem.

Reply #14
I usually repair permissions only when i install an OS X update. By the way what version of OS X are you running ?

Mainly it's when you install 3rd party stuff, especially old installers. When you create those things, you have to specify the permissions for every folder - not just the ones that are getting installed into, but also the ones leading to it. The Installer application actually changes the permissions of all those folders along the way while it's installing files. If someone isn't paying attention, or the installer is an old one that doesn't have the permission set, the permissions for folders get messed up.

I hardly ever repair permissions and never had any issues, you could run it via "Disc Utility" once a week or fortnight just to be on the safe side or after you install software.

I have noticed installing/upgrading flash messes them right up.  Always wise to reapir them after an Flash upgrade.

Reply #15
I'm having the same problem, XLD hanging up when Pregap Detection starts and can't eject the CD without restarting (so far it hasn't frozen my Mac itself, but it might as well since the CD is stuck and not visible nor ejectable.

I contacted XLD's developer a while back and he advised me to check the "Don't Detect Pregap" option, because he said once I actually ripped the CD, XLD  would detect the pregaps anyway.

Well, unless I'm missing something, XLD does NOT detect the pregaps at all with that setting checked. I took a CD that I knew for sure had pregaps, ripped it both with and without Detect Pregap checked (ripped to FLAC, individual files, using the standard ripping setting "Include Pre-gap For All Tracks".

In the resulting logfiles, the one that detected the gaps prior to ripping shows "Gap Status: Analyzed, Appended", while the other logfile (as you'd logically expect) shows "Gap Status: Not Analyzed".

Moreover, I also exported a CUE sheet at the conclusion of each of the two rips: Again, as expected, the pregap analyzed rip showed various pre-gap lengths in the form of INDEX 00 followed by varying time values on the tracks that had pregaps, while the Pregap NOT-Analyzed rip just showed the standard INDEX 01 00:00:00 for EVERY track.

What's strange is that both rips showed as verified accurate with the AccuRip database in the logfiles. But how can the rip be accurate if the pregaps weren't analyzed and appended??

And of course there's the fact that I ended up with 2 totally different cue sheets (which in theory should match), since one reflects the CD's pregap Index points and the other doesn't.

It doesn't seem that proper rips can be made without pregap detection, and yet the pregap scanning process is buggy for me and others; it gets hung up more than half the time and I have to restart the machine....not good.

And I'm also confused by the Pregap NOT-analyzed rip checking out as OK with AR database.

Thoughts anyone??? I've also emailed the developer a follow-up email now that I've confirmed that pre-gaps are not being detected after all. I'll report back if I get a reply.

Cheers,
Don

Reply #16
I have experienced the lockup during gap detection numerous times. For me, it only seems to happen when iTunes is open (or opened) when a CD is inserted. Try this:

System Preferences-->CDs & DVDs-->When you insert a music CD [Open XLD.app]

Then make sure iTunes is closed when you insert a CD.

Reply #17
Yea that does help somewhat (I actually set my CD/DVD Control Panel to just Do Nothing, so the CD just mounts to the desktop and that's all), but even with iTunes closed and not set to auto-open CDs it still happens to me sometimes. It's kind of an erratic thing that seems to happen if do anything "out of step", i.e. if I open XLD Preferences after I've opened the CD with XLD...I have to make sure all the settings and encoder options are correct before I even insert the CD.

I actually heard back from the developer earlier tonight..here's his response:
[blockquote]Pregap detection does not affect the accuracy of the ripped data. It only affects the content of cue sheets (or log files). Of course AccurateRip query works without detecting gaps.

I want to fix the issue, but it is very difficult for me without having a problematic drive and disc. I haven't encountered the issue with my drives.

-tmkk
[/blockquote]

OK.....maybe I don't understand pregaps well enough, but if the cue sheet doesn't reflect the CD's pregaps, how can you use the cue sheet to make a truly accurate reproduction of the CD, especially if you're using a single file+cue? EVen if you've ripped to individual files rather than FLAC+CUE for example, wouldn't the starting points of the ripped songs potentially be off just a little, or affect the delay between songs?

If analyzing and dealing with pregaps isn't necessary, why do rippers scan for them in the first place? Again maybe I'm missing something....but I don't understand how a rip can be accurate without handling pregaps (assuming the CD has any...I ripped a live CD today whose pregaps were 00:00:00 all the way down the column).

This is frustrating.....clearly it's a bug, albeit not widespread enough yet to be addressed, as the dev. said. I'm running a Mac Mini 2010 aluminum, 10.6.6 with an HL-DT superdrive (but it happens with my external burner too), latest version of XLD, advanced user who can usually figure such things out

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.....cheers

I have experienced the lockup during gap detection numerous times. For me, it only seems to happen when iTunes is open (or opened) when a CD is inserted. Try this:

Reply #18
I use XLD a lot and never encountered this problem. MacMini 2010 and a few external drives and no issue.

Reply #19

Thank you so much!!!! This was the problem, everything is working great now. Leave it to iTunes to screw something up...