Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation (Read 97884 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #250
Given all the expericences with marketing and double blind studies, despite may be a small number of people, consumers will not buy more "hi res" material due to the results of a meta-analysis.
Perhaps you're right there. Rather than spending some money on a decent blind study that improves on M&M's test design, the main "players" in the commercialization of hires (I'm not even singling out Meridian, there are bigger ones like Sony or Harman) spend much more money on marketing of the dumbest kind. Clearly, they know their customer.

I wonder whether they even funded the one-man meta study we're talking about here. That sort of study is one of the cheapest you can get, still I fear it might have been funded mostly by the taxpayer.

I think the "executives" of the large audio firms aren't dumb. If they thought that a new and improved study would work for them, it would have long been done. They rely on marketing instead, which is probably the best available option for them: They're having elderly artists advocate hires, finally a technology where they can get their true message across, something they have been denied throughout their entire career, by reckless industry bosses with their fat cigars, and soulless engineers in their white lab coats, neither of which know what it means to listen. So heartwarming. So liberating. So righteous. So true.

Such bullshit.

Re: Next page in the hi-rez media scam: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluati

Reply #251
Given all the expericences with marketing and double blind studies, despite may be a small number of people, consumers will not buy more "hi res" material due to the results of a meta-analysis.
Perhaps you're right there. Rather than spending some money on a decent blind study that improves on M&M's test design, the main "players" in the commercialization of hires (I'm not even singling out Meridian, there are bigger ones like Sony or Harman) spend much more money on marketing of the dumbest kind. Clearly, they know their customer.

Harman/JBL  folks have at least published good *research* that benefits home audio.  The marketing arms notwithstanding.

Reply #252
Harman/JBL  folks have at least published good *research* that benefits home audio.  The marketing arms notwithstanding.
Sure. They would be in a perfect position to carry out such a study. They have the means, the gear and the people to do a good job on this. If they saw a good chance that this would bolster their market position, they would certainly already have done it.

Reply #253
Maybe Jakob2 et al need Donald Rumsfeld to explain how to make "Unknown unknowns" into "Known unknowns"??
Perhaps commission a 20 year meta study to figure it all out, so we can finally have what specific positive control is to be used.
Or just keep dancing.
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #254
Maybe Jakob2 et al need Donald Rumsfeld to explain how to make "Unknown unknowns" into "Known unknowns"??
Perhaps commission a 20 year meta study to figure it all out, so we can finally have what specific positive control is to be used.
Or just keep dancing.
We don't need Rumsfeld. Since Reiss, we know the unknowns. The unknown reasons. Well, sorry, I mean we know that the reasons are unknown. Previously we thought we didn't need any reasons, because we didn't know there was anything in need of a reason. That was the unknown unknowns state. Now post-Reiss we're in the known unknowns state. :)

Reply #255
Or just keep dancing.

In would think that training would involve starting by comparing a 'strong' version of the impairment, with no impairment, then gradually reducing the level of the impairment until no difference could be heard.

Going forward from that to actual tests, the positive control then becomes the impairment at a low level that was still reliably heard during training.

For hi rez vs redbook....first one has to decide if bit depth or sample rate are what's going to be tested. 

Reply #256
<snip>
My usual remarks relate to the science of listening tests,.......

Please reread 2bedecided´s post and his citation again, i hope you then get a better idea what i was referring to...

I get this feeling that you are just giving me the run-around. For example, you don't give a link to the post you seem to be referrring to, so if I make a comment you can always call me stupid for responding to the wrong post. 

The post that seems to fit best because it seems to be 2BDecided's morst recent pot to you is https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112204.msg925543.html#msg925543

However it is a post that is highly favorable to ABX,, and can even be interpreted as touting the open-mindedness of ABX testers such as myself.   For example:

Quote from: 2BDecided
Army makes a good point. You should try it properly. One instance of having a "night and day" difference melt away, and one of having a "subtle" different statistically proven, is enough to open most people's minds to the interesting nature of human perception

About your alleged posts responses to me on to http://www.diyaudio.com/. I searched for your account there, and it keeps coming back unknown. This sheds an unfavorable light on your credibility.

In the process of googling on your account name I found some of your posts to http://www.hifi-forum.de  which seem to show that you are also banned there.

Why are you heaping favor on ABX testing and me personally and attacking your own credibility?

Reply #257
In would think that training would involve starting by comparing a 'strong' version of the impairment, with no impairment, then gradually reducing the level of the impairment until no difference could be heard.

That's the approach I used at my PCABX web site.

Here's some of the text related to listener training from that site:
Quote from: PCABX web site
How To Train Yourself To Be A Sensitive, Reliable Listener

The purpose of this page is to provide listening comparisons of various kinds and increasing difficulty for the purpose of listener training. A key component of the training program is the PCABX Comparator which you can download by left-clicking here.

If you left-click here, you will find an "AES 20" form that may help you quantify sound quality.

Please start at the upper left hand corner of the table at the bottom of this page and work down the column. Once you have finished a column, move to the top of the next column to the right.

Each "Training Session" relates to a kind of audible difference. Each "Training Session" is a column in the table.

Each "Training Session" is a column of of  tests ranging in difficulty to hear reliably from "Very easy" to "Might be Impossible". Each test is composed of a pair of "Reference" and "Test" samples. You need to download, compare and reliably identify each pair using the PCABX Comparator (which you can download by clicking here).

For best results start at the top of each column of tests, and download the first pair of "Reference" and "Test" samples. Then listen and learn to reliably detect the difference between the samples using the PCABX Comparator. Your goal should be to obtain 1% or less "Probability You Were Guessing" , as calculated by the PCABX Comparator. More specifically, you should try for 14 correct answers out of 16 trials.  Once you have achieved 1% or less "Probability You Were Guessing", move down the column to the next pair of files.
If you run into extreme difficulty with samples rated "Difficult" or harder, please feel free to move to he next "Training Session" which starts at the top of the next  column to the right.

If you have difficulty completing any samples rated "Difficult" or easier, please consider upgrading your playback system including loudspeakers, sound card, amplifier and listening environment. Please see  the sidebar titled  "What Makes A Good Sound System For PCABX?".

Remember that as you approach your personal limit of audibility, you probably won't hear a distinct difference. As you approach this point shut your eyes, control the PCABX Comparator with the "A", "B", and "B" keys on the keyboard, and imagine that you are hearing a difference. You will probably be successful for at least one more level of difficulty.

Menus of various kinds of artifacts as applied to the same sound samples in various degrees from obvious and easy to difficult or impossible were provided.

Reply #258
Did you make sure to include various degrees of artifacts from the "unknown" category to serve as positive controls like what was done in the BS "typcial" filter study?

Reply #259
Did you make sure to include various degrees of artifacts from the "unknown" category to serve as positive controls like what was done in the BS "typical" filter study?

Here's the Training section from the Jackson Capp and Stuart paper:

Quote from:  Jackson Capp and Stuart
The audibility of typical digital audio fi lters in
a high- delity playback system

Preliminary data and feedback suggested that some
time was required for listeners to become familiar
with the task and with the kind of listening required.
To this end, each listener was trained on the task in
several ways before the formal testing began.
In the rst phase of training, listeners were able to
listen to the whole piece of music (about 200 seconds) a number of times. They were encouraged
to pay attention to technical aspects such as musi
cal texture and playing technique, and also on more
qualitative aspects of listening such as the size and
location of the auditory image. Listeners could listen
to the piece as many times as they liked; in practice,
none listened more than twice.
The second phase of training was intended to familiarise listeners with the fi ltering used and with
using the GUI. Two intervals were presented, as for
the main test, but the first interval always contained
the un filtered extract and the second always contained the filtered extract; listeners were informed
of this, with the intention that labelling the extracts
as having been processed differently might aid the
identi fication of di differences. Listeners were able to
listen to as many labelled pairs of extracts as they
liked before progressing to the test. The lter used
here was an FIR lter with a frequency transition
band spanning 8{10 Hz. This lter was chosen as it
would have been straightforward for most listeners
to identify diff erences introduced by its application.

The third phase of training occurred before each
block of the test, where listeners had the chance
to hear the processing for that condition using the
paradigm for training phase 2, where the extracts
were known. This allowed listeners to become accustomed to each condition before it was tested. Listeners were not limited in the number of training
extracts they could hear for each test condition, but
the maximum that any listener chose to hear was
nine.

I don't see various degrees of artifacts from the "unknown" category  that serve as positive controls (training).

Reply #261
Some would prefer these inconveniences go unnoticed.

Words are cheap.

Good Science can be far more inconvenient to actually  do.

Reply #262
Good Science can be far more inconvenient to actually  do.
Is that why it's taken Jakob2 et al 20+ years to come up with "unknown reasons" and "hey, I have no clue what unknown positive controls to use, but use them anyway for ITU training", so the "improvement" wrought by Hi-Re$ is realized?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #263
Side question: is it common for JAES papers with such far-reaching implications to get 2 comments of discussion on aes.org?

Reply #264
Side question: is it common for JAES papers with such far-reaching implications to get 2 comments of discussion on aes.org?

I suspect that certain mills are grinding slowly but very finely.  Of course we have evidence that some JAES authors don't bother reading and heeding the comments, anyway.

Re: A Meta-Analysis of High Resolution Audio Perceptual Evaluation

Reply #265
rrod, earlier this month you wrote that you would "work on something" regarding the statistical implications of several independent mechanisms whose interactions are unknown:
I'll work on something.
Are you still on it? Has something come out of this yet?

Reply #266
rrod, earlier this month you wrote that you would "work on something" regarding the statistical implications of several independent mechanisms whose interactions are unknown:
I'll work on something.
Are you still on it? Has something come out of this yet?

Not yet. Part of the problem is that all the "bit" related studies are also all training-based. I'd need me some paper access at this point, but since I'm currently all-day care for a 3y/o, teasing out potential predictors from 80 papers will be especially slow grinding. This is why I wondered where some AES action on this might be, but I'll trust in Arny's guess that someone out there is crunching.

Reply #267
I wonder if the Hi-Re$ peddlers will require "unknown causes" positive controls ITU training for all customers, before they sell Hi-Re$ files/origami and $20k Hi-Re$ bling players to them?
Loudspeaker manufacturer

Reply #268
So... 18 papers were taken into this meta-analysis.  Can someone point me to the part where each of these papers' methodologies and/or sponsor links were presumbly taken apart--given the high confidence that everyone here has that the meta-analysis is a meta-analysis of a pile of crap?

Not doubting the conclusion here, just wondering how it was arrived at :D  Especially since I'd basically brushed aside all the >50% result experiments as poorly conducted experiments sponsored by industry interests, and am now being asked to substantiate this claim :P

The only discussion I've been able to locate so far is the discussion on the 2014 Jackson paper: https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conventions/?ID=416

Reply #269
So... 18 papers were taken into this meta-analysis.  Can someone point me to the part where each of these papers' methodologies and/or sponsor links were presumably taken apart.

I don't think such a thing exists. I did an analysis of just one aspect of the papers - how the source signals were created. This required that I download all of the papers cited in the article, and analyze each and every one.  This was eased by the fact that all but one of the papers were AES papers, and at the time I did the analysis they were freely accessible to AES members such as myself on the AES web site. I eventually obtained the non-AES paper and analyzed it as well.  The results of that analysis is summarized in an earler post.

The only discussion I've been able to locate so far is the discussion on the 2014 Jackson paper: https://secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conventions/?ID=416

You will notice that I contributed some comments there. I feel like the only good that came from the work I did,  was that I learned what I learned.  There don't seem to be any Mea Culpas despite the  egregious faults that are clearly there.  I don't see where anybody on the other side took any of the criticisms seriously, especially given that some of them are repeated in the more recent paper that this thread has been discussing.

There seems to be a great divide within the AES among those who publish papers like these, and many who take the honors given to them as a sign that the AES has become something that is an embarrassment to them.

Reply #270
I don't think such a thing exists. I did an analysis of just one aspect of the papers - how the source signals were created. This required that I download all of the papers cited in the article, and analyze each and every one.  This was eased by the fact that all but one of the papers were AES papers, and at the time I did the analysis they were freely accessible to AES members such as myself on the AES web site. I eventually obtained the non-AES paper and analyzed it as well.  The results of that analysis is summarized in an earler post.

Great--can you point me to it?  I've scanned several pages of this thread and failed to locate it  :-[

Reply #271

Great--can you point me to it?  I've scanned several pages of this thread and failed to locate it  :-[

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,112204.msg925557.html#msg925557

Reply #272
Can someone point me to the part where each of these papers' methodologies and/or sponsor links were presumbly taken apart--given the high confidence that everyone here has that the meta-analysis is a meta-analysis of a pile of crap?
I didn't read the discussion this way, and didn't mean to say this personally, either. Some of the papers are highly suspect, others are reasonable. However, even a meta analysis of OK papers can be crap, if the papers are too diverse to be analyzed together.

Especially since I'd basically brushed aside all the >50% result experiments as poorly conducted experiments sponsored by industry interests, and am now being asked to substantiate this claim :P
Was it here?

Reply #273
“Our study finds high-resolution audio has a small but important advantage in its quality of reproduction over standard audio content."

I see that Reiss's dishonesty is being avoided by placebophile apologists over there as well.

Reply #274
So... 18 papers were taken into this meta-analysis.  Can someone point me to the part where each of these papers' methodologies and/or sponsor links were presumbly taken apart--given the high confidence that everyone here has that the meta-analysis is a meta-analysis of a pile of crap?

Not doubting the conclusion here, just wondering how it was arrived at :D  Especially since I'd basically brushed aside all the >50% result experiments as poorly conducted experiments sponsored by industry interests, and am now being asked to substantiate this claim :P

Reiss says he contacted authors for each paper and obtained what raw data he could, including metadata that were not used in the original papers.

So there is really no way anyone can replicate his analysis without getting that data.