Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: flac --> LAME via foobar transcoding question (Read 5063 times) previous topic - next topic

flac --> LAME via foobar transcoding question

I am in the process of re-ripping most of my music. First, I decided to rip to LAME -v0 --vbr-new (preset fast extreme (apx-f) ), as I need the mp3's on my HD to properly sync with my DAP (NOMAD Jukebox III).

Then I decided, that as long as I have the HD space, I'm willing to double-dip and have FLAC's in a separate subdirectory, and when I spring for a new PC soon (I'm running a PIII 733  ) I'll get a new HD for the FLAC's, and leave the Creative MusicLibrary as is. So, I now rip from EAC to flac, and transcode via foobar to mp3 (-V0 --vbr-new).

My problem is the following. When I open the file in foobar, I see the track number in the playlist. However, when I convert to mp3, all the ID3 tags transfer except for the track number. This gets annoying, having to open every file in creative and manually insert the track number.

In setting up EAC, LAME, flac, and foobar, I have followed the standard links:
I have Tags in foobar set to default, and I tried it set to ID3v2 as well, still, track# does not transfer.

However, when I rip from EAC directly to LAME, it does. I presume that is because I am passing those parameters directly to LAME.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Reply #1
well, the autonumber function of the masstagger does this well...

not sure from your post why else the tags would not be coming over...

FLAC > MP3 ... correct?

if you open the "properties" on a flac file in the playlist does it have a dedicated tracknumber entry (one not included in the title - just checking)... what I'm getting at is making sure EAC is not just appending the track number to the filename instead of the FLAC tag....

I transcode from FLAC to MP3 all the time and haven't noticed this... some background info might help on your setup... OS, service packs... foobar version...

Reply #2

FLAC > MP3 ... correct?

if you open the "properties" on a flac file in the playlist does it have a dedicated tracknumber entry (one not included in the title - just checking)... what I'm getting at is making sure EAC is not just appending the track number to the filename instead of the FLAC tag....

I transcode from FLAC to MP3 all the time and haven't noticed this... some background info might help on your setup... OS, service packs... foobar version...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360761"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For details, I do not remember, so I will have to wait until I get home from work  and check the settings. As for OS, it's WIN98SE 

Yes, I load the FLAC's into the playlist and run convert.

Thanks.

Reply #3

FLAC > MP3 ... correct?

For details, I do not remember, so I will have to wait until I get home from work  and check the settings. As for OS, it's WIN98SE 

Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360762"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked the tags under one of the FLAC's in foobar, and it had a TRACKNUMBER value. Am I missing a setting to have that transfer over to LAME?

Reply #4
What version of foobar are you using... 0.83 or a beta?

I just did this today repeatedly with .9b9...

Reply #5

FLAC > MP3 ... correct?

Thanks.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360762"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I checked the tags under one of the FLAC's in foobar, and it had a TRACKNUMBER value. Am I missing a setting to have that transfer over to LAME?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=360890"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using v0.8.3.

Is there some setting I'm missing?

Interestinglyenough, when I rip from EAC to LAME directly, I get the tracknumber, but the genre says "user defined"

Thanks.

Reply #6
What is the exact value please?  I can only assume that somehow it is seen as invalid and therefore fails.  Is it in the format "NN/MM" or something?  I just can't see any other explanation.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #7
I do the same thing, create FLAC files using EAC, then use the diskwriter in fb2k to create MP3 files.

This is the command line I use for LAME 3.97b1:
Code: [Select]
-V4 --vbr-new --noreplaygain --ignore-tag-errors --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%album%" --ty "%date%" --tn "%tracknumber%" --tg "%genre%" %s %d

It works without a problem when it comes to creating the tags (even when the --ignore-tag-errors option is not there).

Reply #8
Good idea: it may be worth just tagging with LAME rather than foobar.

Bear in mind, if you use the command line above, you will need to set the Tag dropdown to "none".  Maybe not "need", but it will save confusion no doubt.

Edit: NB: Why not use:

-V4 --vbr-new --noreplaygain --ignore-tag-errors --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%album%" --ty "%date%" --tn "%tracknumber%" --tg "%genre%" - %d

? This pipes the raw audio data to LAME rather than creating a temporary WAVE and then passing that to LAME.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #9
In my case, I still have the Tag dropdown set to "Default".  Doesn't seem to be a problem.  I never considered removing the %s.  I will have to check it out.  I wonder what that will do to speed up the conversion.

Reply #10
Edit: NB: Why not use:

-V4 --vbr-new --noreplaygain --ignore-tag-errors --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%album%" --ty "%date%" --tn "%tracknumber%" --tg "%genre%" - %d

? This pipes the raw audio data to LAME rather than creating a temporary WAVE and then passing that to LAME.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=361242"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks! That seems to work fine  Although I use -V0 

Reply #11
In my case, I still have the Tag dropdown set to "Default".  Doesn't seem to be a problem.  I never considered removing the %s.  I will have to check it out.  I wonder what that will do to speed up the conversion.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The (potential) problem is that with Tag set to "Default", foobar2000 might retag the files.

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39373]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=39373[/url]