Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Headphone Amplifiers (Read 4053 times) previous topic - next topic

Headphone Amplifiers

What is a good headphone amp? I am thinking about buying the Podrock-it I saw on ebay. Does anyone have info?

Headphone Amplifiers

Reply #1
welcome aboard! i can name you several dozen good ones, but only one of them will be right for you if you can provide us with more information:

what pricerange?
what application? (ie portable, desktop, etc)
what headphones?
what source?
what music?
and most importantly, why do you want a headphone amp?

then from there, prepare for an exploding thread;)

Headphone Amplifiers

Reply #2
hi everybody!
I am also looking for an headphone amp :

what pricerange? <40 euros (diy amp)
what application? (ie portable, desktop, etc) portable (ipod)
what headphones? sennheiser hd455
what source? cd
what music? pop
and most importantly, why do you want a headphone amp? better sound !

I'd like it small, cheap, and no battery...

Headphone Amplifiers

Reply #3
I cannot see how you could amp headphones without a power source. You would need a battery, USB port, or something.

This unit looked pretty good to me.

http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/

Headphone Amplifiers

Reply #4
yeah, the no battery part is impossible. if you really are willing to go diy (you'll love it), then go here http://tangentsoft.net/audio/

at your price range, you will be able to afford a decked out cmoy. a mint amp is also very good, better than cmoy, but will cost you a bit more. anyhow, good luck!

Headphone Amplifiers

Reply #5
I'm not a spokesman for this eBay seller, but I bought an amp from him and it's solid (he has solid feedback as well).  You can choose the tin you want, the color of the LED, the volume knob type, and he'll even customize the inputs to your liking (mine will take a 9V wall-wart as input and override the battery (use it at work), it will also cut power when the headphones are disconnected).  He goes by the name biosciencegeek.  I paid ~$50 as I have no clue how to solder and wasn't that interested in DIY.  I use mine with my iPod, some VBR mp3 and I've tested apple lossless (don't have Rockbox or FLAC support).  This gave my Audio Technica's new life!

Here's an amp listing:

Amp Listing

Here's his info page:

Seller Info

Headphone Amplifiers

Reply #6
Well I went ahead and bought the Podrock-it and am really impressed by it. This thing rocks! I like it so much I just bought a second for my brothers birthday coming up.
What I like most about it is that it is easy to hold and it is really solid. They claim to give it a five year warranty. It came with a  strap that you can hang it with thats kind of cool. But they also have a holster that I am going to get. The sound quality is really clear and crisp  and bass levels are really excellent.
Anyway thats my 2 cents. Good luck all.