Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WavPack - ideas for new logo/website (Read 33492 times) previous topic - next topic

WavPack - ideas for new logo/website

Reply #25
looking good.
i like the WP one.

one possible change (very slight).  it would look better if the P were skewed more so it took the same angle as the last stroke on the W.  seeing as these letters are joined, they should share the same angle too, or there's an unnatural corner that can be distracting.

of course, if the P is unnaturally slanted then don't worry

(btw, i don't like the "dbx" logo at all.)

[edit]

lol!  i found the Atari font on my machine.  i'm so making a logo with this

Reply #26
Some minor thoughts:

I think the text in "files" shouldn't be centered as there is no fixpoint when browsing the files.

The colours are not too good to read. e.g. I can not differ bold from standard text easily. could be "less dark" overall

More contrast would be helpful. don't  use as much "gray on black" (bad, old tft-monitor is a drawback here).

Leave a bit more space between the header and the about box.

Thanks for your efforts so far

Regards; ilikedirt
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okie, I fixed the "Files" table and added more space, but I'm about to have to head out for the day, so I'll have to work on the colors more later tonight.

If anyone has suggestions on colors, please let me know. I've always been one oriented for dark colors... would something resembling the [a href="http://ariakis.cjb.net/wavpack]dignified pale blue of our beautiful IPB[/url] work, for example?

Thanks for the comments, and keep 'em coming.

Reply #27
If anyone has suggestions on colors, please let me know. I've always been one oriented for dark colors... would something resembling the dignified pale blue of our beautiful IPB work, for example?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232585"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I like it!
Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Reply #28
Okie, I fixed the "Files" table and added more space, but I'm about to have to head out for the day, so I'll have to work on the colors more later tonight.

If anyone has suggestions on colors, please let me know. I've always been one oriented for dark colors... would something resembling the dignified pale blue of our beautiful IPB work, for example?

Really like it

I see you're working on it... I wouldn't put the text italic and bolt together, just bolt should do it IMHO.

Maybe you could seperate the "files" in subtopics; like main files, 3rd-party tools, sources.

Regards; ilikedirt

Reply #29
I wouldn't put the text italic and bolt together, just bolt should do it IMHO.

Maybe you could seperate the "files" in subtopics; like main files, 3rd-party tools, sources.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232630"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Both taken care of.    Any other suggestions?

Reply #30
Monochrome logos are best because you can make all kinds of stuff with them. Put them on white in black, or on black in white or use colour instead of the black and put a colour inside, etc...

I agree.

Roberto, could you mail me the font you used ? I'd like to make a Flash version, to scale it nicely. (that's what I did with the Matroska logo)
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just sent it

A vector illustration (CGM, WMF) of the logo would also rock. Unfortunately, my Illustrator skills are a little too rusty, and I don't even have it installed anymore.

If anyone has suggestions on colors, please let me know. I've always been one oriented for dark colors... would something resembling the [a href="http://ariakis.cjb.net/wavpack]dignified pale blue of our beautiful IPB[/url] work, for example?

I agree, they look great.

I won't work on the page I was making anymore. Ariakis' is loking better, and it adheres to the standards (I am somewhat of a slouch about validation)

Reply #32
The big logo is nice, but maybe it's an idea to use WV in the small/square logo. Afterall it's the official extension, and when put together in the right way it will look like a sine wave.

Just some thoughts.

Reply #33
My photoshopping skills suck, but something like this:

Reply #34
I like Roberto's logos (the second large one, and the square one for DVD players ), they're simple, but effective, especially the square one - it's good that the P's vertical bar forms a line with the W's. Being monochrome, it can be used anywhere, I could imagine it looking very nice adopted to the colours used on Ariakis' site.

Roberto: Perhaps you could try making a square one with the P replaced with a V? Since we want to emphasize "WV" rather than "WP".

Edit: My idea of a perfect logo would be a "WV" version of Roberto's square logo, with WAVPACK or something like that written next to it, just like the HDCD logo.

Reply #36
Here are some alternatives using the letters W and V:
http://home.hccnet.nl/th.v.d.gronde/wavpacklogos2.png
They're available in a vector format if necessary.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=232951"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i like the last one in the upper row (one the right side) very much.
i think it's better when the letters are not connected between themself and to the surrounding line, it's easier and faster to read.

Reply #37
my try:

PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #38
bw full:

PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8

Reply #39
'mini' (experiment):

(this are all 32 bit png files, and they wont show correctly with IE.)

and the last try for today:

Reply #40
Hey guys, thanks for all the submissions! I really like a lot of them, and I also received some by e-mail including these nice ones:

)

Ariakas, I really appreciate what you've done so far, and I think the HA colors are fine (unless Dibrom objects because it might suggest some kind of endorsement by HA). The only things I noticed that should go in there are the link to the old pages and some credit for yourself. Thanks again.

Reply #41
I think the HA colors are fine
afaik there is no such thing, the colors are invision-board ©.

Reply #42
Here's my proposal for the logo.

The sine curve forms a W while the black/white design represents the hybrid abilities of WP.

Transparent version:

Reply #43
That last one is quite cool.

Something with Wipeout-like fonts is always sweet!
Wanna buy a monkey?

Reply #44
I like High Fidelity's LOGO too. the others are weird.

Reply #46
The only things I noticed that should go in there are the link to the old pages and some credit for yourself. Thanks again.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alright, it's been [a href="http://ariakis.cjb.net/wavpack]updated[/url] as requested.

I also decreased the font size 1 point, and made the site aligned/sized to fit very well in all browsers down to 800x600 resolution.  This is, in my opinion, better that just setting the width to 75% of the viewport, but if you have objections just let me know and I'll change it back.

As soon as you approve, Bryant, I'll make all the links relative to the wavpack.com domain and send ya a zip.  Thanks for all the suggestions too, everyone.  If there are any problems, just lemme know.

Reply #47
I also decreased the font size 1 point, and made the site aligned/sized to fit very well in all browsers down to 800x600 resolution.  This is, in my opinion, better that just setting the width to 75% of the viewport, but if you have objections just let me know and I'll change it back.

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=233829"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Arakis, I think the font got a bit too tiny.  I think it discourages a bit from reading long pasages like about text and harms the quick impression of the text.

Regards; ilikedirt

Reply #48
Hi Arakis, I think the font got a bit too tiny.  I think it discourages a bit from reading long pasages like about text and harms the quick impression of the text.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=234032"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Okie, I increased it back to 9pt, but it makes the Files table really squished.  I then increased the width of the site to 760px from 720px, but it'll still hopefully fit on most 800x600 displays.

Reply #49
Okay, I'm happy with the page as it looks now. I appreciate all the of the sample logos (and I have kept them ), but I think that for right now we should go with Roberto's second one (full words, but with the bolded W and P) because it's simple and will look good very small. I'm not much of a graphics guru (as some may have guessed), so how do we reduce it to about 1/3 and get it on the page (in color)?