Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME 3.97 Stable (Read 25735 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #50
I can provide a link to an alpha 5 bundle, but I see little point in testing that when we are already at alpha 10.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #51
Just noticed that 397 alpha10 CBR q0 mode isn´t finish yet, but  presets work fine.
So there is no need of alpha5.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #52
If I understand it correctly, the release of 3.97 has already been held back significantly, in order to yield a "clear recommended version" -- to that end, all needed tweaks will certainly be applied beforehand.

I cant see any significant holding back so far -Its just been a month or so since Gabriel got alpha10 tested and it does seem to be working well - but he mentioned he might have more ideas to try.

[span style='font-size:7pt;line-height:100%']edit: less was more[/span]
no conscience > no custom

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #53
But to hold back 3.97 until 4.xx is ready for release seems just plain silly to me. 3.97 is slated to have a significant role in the ongoing saga of LAME, before the release of 4.xx, and the former should be released as soon as humanly possible so that we can all enjoy the benefits of it.

4.0, could use some kind of "PREVIEW EDITION" version tag, instead of 4.0 , when realeased, so we can all help fine tune, and then, be a 4.0, when ready:

4.0 alpha -> 4.0 beta -> 4.0 PREVIEW -> 4.0 FINAL (when stabilized)

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #54
4.0, could use some kind of "PREVIEW EDITION" version tag, instead of 4.0 , when realeased, so we can all help fine tune[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296622"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought that was what beta level was for.

Regards,
Madrigal

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #55
4.0, could use some kind of "PREVIEW EDITION" version tag, instead of 4.0 , when realeased, so we can all help fine tune[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296622"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought that was what beta level was for.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296631"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's the idea.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #56
but according to the posts here, 4.0 would be released with less quality than 3.97 ... i think 4.0 "searching for quality version" should be released, or have a long beta period.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #57
but according to the posts here, 4.0 would be released with less quality than 3.97 ... i think 4.0 "searching for quality version" should be released, or have a long beta period.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296649"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That will solely make people stick to 3.97 and largely ignore 4.0

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #58
well, we actually want non geeks like us to actually ignore it

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #59
I think you guys should leave the release dates & version naming up to the developers (the people who actually do the work).

I can see why they usually don't visit the forums  .

Has anyone even done any (significant) testing with 3.9x & the 4.o alphas???

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #60
well, we actually want non geeks like us to actually ignore it
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=296719"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

We? WE? Who we, FFS?

Edit: @westgroveg: 4.0 alphas are not really to be tested for the time being. Takehiro got displeased once when John33 posted a compile and people started testing, comparing, whining...

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #61
I think you guys should leave the release dates & version naming up to the developers (the people who actually do the work).

You're comfortable speaking for them regarding this?
- That there should be no discussion of such things in HA by non-developers.
I can see why they usually don't visit the forums   .

And this one too? 
no conscience > no custom

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #62
i've noticed in the latest 3.97 alphas (at least a10), that the minimal bitrate has changed from 128 to 32 (per -V2 / preset standard). what will be implemented as the minimum birate for the said preset in 3.97-release ?

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #63
Well... That is in an interesting question
r3mix zealot.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #64
Damn, each time this specific topic shows up, I start opening the Champagne, but it's allways a false alarm.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #65
Damn, each time this specific topic shows up, I start opening the Champagne, but it's allways a false alarm.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=298659"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

heh, me too.  i get so excited...
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

LAME 3.97 Stable

Reply #67
i've noticed in the latest 3.97 alphas (at least a10), that the minimal bitrate has changed from 128 to 32 (per -V2 / preset standard). what will be implemented as the minimum birate for the said preset in 3.97-release ?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ok. i stepped backwards through the 3.97 alphas i had lying around. seems the lowering of the bitrate (-b) of -V2 (preset standard) started with alpha8, and has continued since. i suspect, then, that this will be implemented (-b 32) in 3.97-release ?

$ for i in *.exe ; do ./$i -V2 -T xp.wav xp_$i.mp3 ; done
$ for i in *.mp3 ; do lametag $i > $i.lametag.txt ; done

[a href="http://people.gactr.uga.edu/robin/test/]http://people.gactr.uga.edu/robin/test/[/url]