Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do i recreate YouTube HD AAC encoding? :( (Read 7595 times) previous topic - next topic

How do i recreate YouTube HD AAC encoding? :(

For start, please don't bash me. I'm only asking for help to realize some weird thing i want to have.
I've been loving the AAC codec for a longer time. But i have a weird question towards it i want to get help with solving. I've went through a big desire, attachment and maybe obsession, to recreate that quality of HD Youtube, as exactly as i could. I want to do it - to reproduce the quality of 192KBps 720P HD YouTube aac; I want the same audible quality, at 192kbps, whether its VBR/CVBR/or even ABR, i want to produce the same exact quality.
I tried qaac, it gives good quality, but i wanted to have the same encoding pattern as youtube does.
I read somewhere that youtube uses faac, so i DL'ed faac and used -b 192 (192 ABR) and it feels a bit more 'web-like', but its not sounding the same. I am wondering what exact codec youtube is using, and if so, where can i get it. How does one recreate the same encoding, to produce the same quality as YouTube delivers in HD 720p mode. I extracted data from youtube .mp4 files to find they are 192kbps aac, "google media soundhandler". I know if i uploaded my songs separately as WAV in HD video files, youtube would convert it for me. But i don't wanna go through it, i want to do it on my computer -  I don't care if the YT encoder isn't the best, cause i just need the same one. Please help me do it. I would be simply greatful. Anyone can tell me what's the equivalent (100%) of youtube HD AAC encoding? Or, how does Google does it.

Help greatly appreciated.
lame -V0
or
fhgaacenc --vbr 6 or 5

Reply #1
I don't think that YouTube still uses FAAC(The quality is bad); they might be using FDK-AAC now. You can use 'fdkaac_autobuild' to build it on Windows: https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/cabinet

I am not sure why you want the same quality, but QAAC should give the best quality.

Reply #2
Why not recreate YouTube’s highest AAC-bitrate?
Code: [Select]
format code extension resolution  note
140         m4a       audio only  DASH audio , audio@128k
139         m4a       audio only  DASH audio   49k , audio@ 48k (22050Hz), 2.28MiB
140         m4a       audio only  DASH audio  129k , audio@128k (44100Hz), 6.06MiB
141         m4a       audio only  DASH audio  255k , audio@256k (44100Hz), 12.04MiB

AAC-streams and filesizes for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKx2B8WCQuw
Rhythmbox, Flac + Vorbis, Sennheiser HD650 + Sony MDR-XB1000

Reply #3
... You can use 'fdkaac_autobuild' to build it on Windows: link ...

sorry, i've edited out that i tried the fdkaac autobuild and it gave me errors every time, i wasn't able to compile it, yet alone download it fully. Right now i'm on a mac, i've tried multiple times on my Win7 x64 PC and it just doesn't work. I actually like the quality of fdkaac files as well (i got them off bandcamp...) I just want to get the oldschool Youtube HD quality. I've tried faac... it feels similiar. I'm clueless to what encoder youtube actually uses for their AAC audio. I really find the 360p bitrate very good as well.. so i'd like to know how i can get the same good level of quality.

-flajerace
lame -V0
or
fhgaacenc --vbr 6 or 5

Reply #4
Why not recreate YouTube’s highest AAC-bitrate?
AAC-streams and filesizes for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKx2B8WCQuw

I've checked out that clip, in 1080p HD it sounds very good, almost felt like iTunes Plus for me (i settled for iTunes 256 CVBR for my AAC encoding needs ATM.)
I've just really still wanted to recreate that youtube feeling though.
lame -V0
or
fhgaacenc --vbr 6 or 5

Reply #5
I read on a audiophilesoft.ru that Youtube uses Fhg AAC encoder. Here is a quoute (Google Translate): "Here YouTube uses a constant strictly fixed bitrate. By analyzing the distortion I calculated that is used to encode a version of the encoder FhG AAC , and also fed to the input 16-bit data (lower 8 of the original 24 bits are discarded). Frequency response, distortion and largely coincide for all five bitrates, here is an example for a 256 kbit / s:" and a link to that post - https://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...P342yvRa2Z460MA

Reply #7
I read on a audiophilesoft.ru that Youtube uses Fhg AAC encoder. Here is a quoute (Google Translate): "Here YouTube uses a constant strictly fixed bitrate. By analyzing the distortion I calculated that is used to encode a version of the encoder FhG AAC , and also fed to the input 16-bit data (lower 8 of the original 24 bits are discarded). Frequency response, distortion and largely coincide for all five bitrates, here is an example for a 256 kbit / s:" and a link to that post - https://translate.googleusercontent.com/tra...P342yvRa2Z460MA

I wouldn't pay attention to anyone who thinks rmaa is a good way to test audio codecs.

Reply #8
So i tried fhgaacenc from the audiophilesoft.ru website and i'm very happy with the results  Sounds just as good as i wanted, i don't think i can get closer to it than google released their official aac encoder libraries (which is never gonna happen). Overall i found using the Winamp DLLs and the Free encoder pack with foobar2000 has been a win-win. Thanks for help, thread can be closed
lame -V0
or
fhgaacenc --vbr 6 or 5