Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [REQUEST] Foobar task manager (Read 10527 times) previous topic - next topic

[REQUEST] Foobar task manager

Hi,

I'd love to see foobar task manager along the lines of the windows' or chrome's one. It would be nice to see how much your computer resources use each component.

Reply #1
Nice idea, +1
I don't know how hard could it be to implement it though.

Reply #3
Unfortunately, it doesn't list components and their use. In my case at least.

Reply #4
it only shows components when they're using enough resources to register. for example, i only see foo_uie_esplaylist.dll when scrolling through my library for the first time as it loads all cover images. this causes a little cpu load but as soon as i stop, it goes away again.

Reply #5
Then I guess, generally they use marginal resources. If so, how come my foobar take more then 30mb of memory.

Reply #6
How are we to guess without you telling us what components you use, what size of library you have, and so on?

Anyway, in contrast to what DOS-era Bill Gates would have had us believe, and for better or worse, 30 MB of memory isn’t considered a large quantity nowadays.

Reply #7
I guess it's not a large quantity, but hearing that people achieve 5-10mb...  My library is 5000 tracks mostly in flac organised in autoplaylists.

List of components:

Code: [Select]
ABX Comparator 1.3.4
    AC3 decoder 0.9.7
    Album List 4.5
    Audio CD Writer 3.0.3
    CD Audio Decoder 3.0
    Converter 1.5
    Discogs Tagger 1.31
    Equalizer 1.0
    Standard DSP Array 1.3
    Graphic Equalizer 0.3.7
    Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    File Operations 2.2
    Flash Video Decoder 0.9.6
    Online Tagger 0.7
    DTS decoder 0.3.1
    DTS-HD Decoder 0.1.3
    DVD-Audio Decoder and Watermark Detector 0.4.11
    Command-Line Decoder Wrapper 0.4
    Monkey's Audio Decoder 2.1.7
    Super Audio CD Decoder 0.6.5
    Standard Input Array 1.0
    Autosave & Autobackup 10
    MusicBrainz Tagger 0.3
    Playback Statistics 3.0.2
    Preview 1.4
    Queue Contents Editor 0.5.1
    Quick Search Toolbar 3.4
    ReplayGain Scanner 2.2
    Run services 0.3.7
    Skype playing notifications 0.2
    TagBox 0.212
    Taskbar Playback Progress Bar 1.1.3
    Text Tools 1.0.5
    TuneStatus 1.0
    Columns UI 0.3.8.8
    UI Hacks 2013-02-19
    Default User Interface 0.9.5
    ELPlaylist 0.6.9.1.2(beta)
    Lyric Show Panel 3 0.4 beta 2 (SSE2)
    Panel Stack Splitter 0.3.8.3(alpha)
    Playlists Dropdown 0.7.6
    Channel Spectrum panel 0.17.2
    ZIP/GZIP/RAR Reader 1.6

Reply #8
so if you somehow reduced your foobar usage to 10mb, what would you do with the 20mb saved? 

Reply #9
Dunno  I don't exceed 40% of my computer's RAM.  I thought that higher memory load could slow foo down or sth.

Reply #10
you could try a portable foobar install without additional components. configure it to monitor the same music folders as your normal install and also configure your usual autoplaylists. now check the memory usage of the barebones install and you'll see what effect your 3rd party components are having.

it's probably not worth bothering with though. i'm sat here typing this into firefox which is using 200MB with one tab open and this website isn't exactly content heavy. do i care? not one bit.

Reply #11
I jumped from 30 to almost 50. Maybe due to lyrics plugin or sth. But stopped caring as it's running smoothly.

You must have a lot of extensions on if it uses 200mb.

Reply #12
i just checked and it's adblock plus taking most of the memory (over 100MB). i can live with that. 

Reply #13
Are we really discussing RAM usage of 10 MB in an era when telephones have 100 times that amount?
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #14
The main program has no way to track the CPU and memory usage of individual components.

Reply #15
I know that, so I thought someone could write a plugin or sth.

Reply #16
i'd guess such a feature would have to be built into the core. the only way someone could write a plugin is if that information was exposed via the foobar2000 SDK.

Reply #17
There is no mechanic to track memory usage on a per library basis. Memory is bound to processes so the task manager is the best thing you can get.

Reply #18
You can create a close approximation of a built-in memory analysis tool for foobar2000 by doing this:

Create and add a toolbar button named "Run VMMap" to your fb2k layout. If the button is clicked, an external program named "VMMap" is launched
with command line parameter like this: vmmap.exe foobar2000.exe .

In this screenshot, I am running a brand new install of foobar2000 with only one added component "foo_wave_seekbar.dll" and one playlist
...and I added a toolbar button to the layout ("Run VMMap"):

In this screenshot, you can read detailed info about VMMap:

In this screenshot, foobar2000 is running and playing a track, and i have clicked on the "Run VMMap" button at the toolbar
...and VMMap pops up with the specified command line:

So there you have it; a memory analyzer tool built into foobar2000 using a 'QuickLaunch' type button .

Reply #19
That is just great.

Can you please tell me how to add a button with user specified command? I only seem to be able to add main menu or context menu commands.

Reply #20
Looking at your list of components at Post #8, I assume you are using the Columns UI interface.
If so, you are in luck because you can make a button in Javascript using the WSH Panel Mod component.
Columns UI allows you to add WSH Panel Mod elements to the toolbar. Default UI does not allow this feature!.

To have this button in DUI, you need to create a DLL component; at present it does not exist ...but stay tuned 

Reply #21
Think, it's too much trouble for me creating this button. Partly because I have no knowledge of wsh panel coding and partly because I'm probably not going to use it. I'll be fine with launching VMMap manually from its folder.

Reply #22
[snip]
Wow, nice find!!
Do you know how to create a WSH script to launch that "taks manager"?
I'd like to give it a try but i'm not able to program a script.

Reply #24
[post about VMMap]

Sorry to disappoint you but that is not even a close approximation of something that could be called memory usage of a component. What looks like the memory usage is only the image file. That means the executable program (i.e. the dll file more or less). The memory that a component requests is in the category "Heap" which is not split by dlls.