Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Want to test the next generation AAC encoders? (Read 21932 times) previous topic - next topic

Want to test the next generation AAC encoders?

Reply #25
Hi Garf and Ivan Dimkovic. Its cool to see the two of you doing development for Ahead AAC and to see that your efforts and talents being put to very good use for the masses!

Do you have any timeframe for an updated AAC encoder? 

Reply #26
Do you have any timeframe for an updated AAC encoder? 

We want to participate in roberto's test with the new encoder so there should be an update before it starts.

It won't contain all the new stuff though, need some more time for that.

Reply #27
We want to participate in roberto's test with the new encoder so there should be an update before it starts.

Good luck because it is planned for the end of the month...

Reply #28

It won't contain all the new stuff though, need some more time for that.

Great, thanks for the fast reply. I'm about ready to try some 64-96 kbps Nero AAC out myself (for use in a mobil phone), so any upcoming improvement is most welcome!

Reply #29
I remeber, Ivan mentioned somewhere that your testing team try DSBR to find if it is better on this bitrates...
Is this clarified now, that downsampled SBR produce better result using 128Kbit bitrate, than pure LC ?

Well, it's another one of those pesky situations where we're near the break-even point. Because of the nice feedback we got with this test (which is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED), we may do a public test of 128k DSBR too.

Reply #30
Great, thanks for the fast reply. I'm about ready to try some 64-96 kbps Nero AAC out myself (for use in a mobil phone), so any upcoming improvement is most welcome!

Do you have mobile phone which can play AAC-HE?

Reply #31

Do you have mobile phone which can play AAC-HE?

Errr, probably not. I didn't read up on the HE-AAC issue before posting. 

My brandnew SE K700 can play the HE-AAC test files I tried on it, but that of course doesn't prove anything. I seem to remember something about HE-AAC files just being played as mono if the player doesn't support HE? Garf?

Reply #32
PS AAC is played as mono if the player doesn't support it.

HE AAC is played as LC AAC if the player doesn't support it.

Reply #33
PS AAC is played as mono if the player doesn't support it.

HE AAC is played as LC AAC if the player doesn't support it.

Thanks for the input, Garf. This is what the SE K700 whitepaper say:

The AAC offers three different profiles to facilitate trade off between quality, memory and processing power requirements. They include: Main Profile (MP), Low Complexity (LC) and Scalable Sampling Rate (SSR).

I guess I will try and see whether CBR80 LC or maybe CBR96 LC will do decent enough. It is just for casual use on a mobile phone after all, so unless there is too many artifacts, those may make a very decent trade off.

Reply #34
DSBR will greatly enhance quality for non-HE AAC capable players that have to play back HE-AAC content.

Current HE-AAC is not very efficient at that bitrate yet, so if you have just a little more patience you will be in for some pleasant surprises

Reply #35
DSBR will greatly enhance quality for non-HE AAC capable players that have to play back HE-AAC content.

Current HE-AAC is not very efficient at that bitrate yet, so if you have just a little more patience you will be in for some pleasant surprises

Sounds delightful!

(I guess I did good by buying Nero 6 after all then)