Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AIFF encoding (Read 3640 times) previous topic - next topic

AIFF encoding

Hi,

I'm interested in joining a subscription music site (www.bso.org) that offers digital music in HD AIFF, HD WMA and HD WMA surround sound formats.  Since I use Linux, I'm really not interested in the WMA format.  So my question is, do you know if oggenc can convert HD AIFF files (encoded at 88.2kHz, 24bit) directly into OGG files?

Thanks!

AIFF encoding

Reply #1
Wikipedia is your friend ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis

Vorbis is intended for sample rates from 8 kHz telephony to 192 kHz digital masters

From Vorbis.org website:
Ogg Vorbis is a fully open, non-proprietary, patent-and-royalty-free, general-purpose compressed audio format for mid to high quality (8kHz-48.0kHz, 16+ bit, polyphonic) audio and music at fixed and variable bitrates from 16 to 128 kbps/channel.

I personally encoded 96Khz/24bit successfully with latest Vorbis versions, so I believe you just need a converter.
F.O.R.A.R.T. npo

AIFF encoding

Reply #2
vorbis as a format supports high sampling rate inputs, but what format can you use depends exclusively of the program you use to create the file.

The only info I could get from the site about the formats was "AIFF = MAC" "WMA = PC". Also, they say "AIFF ~10x larger than MP3 at 320".
That makes it ~3200kbps.  88Khz 24bits stereo is ~4200kbps.  So it could be Apple Lossless or something alike, but not PCM.

I suggest you to contact the site and ask them to tell you exactly with codec they use, in order to know if you really have an option on linux for any of the high definition formats they offer.