Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Foobar configuration for hi-res music and USB DAC (Read 21798 times) previous topic - next topic

Foobar configuration for hi-res music and USB DAC

Hi everybody,
i would like to configure foobar to send hi-res audio (coming from 96KHz or 192KHz, 24 bit tunes) to my USB Focusrite Sapphire i2a using the best possible quality, since the DAC support hi-res audio. In other software, like AIMP, it is just a matter to select few parameters when telling him to use the external DAC.

Is there anything like that in Foobar? I'm asking because i could not find anyhting like that. Is perhaps that Foobar sends out the audio stream at the source quality (whatever that is) automatically?

Thanks in advance,
r

Re: Foobar configuration for hi-res music and USB DAC

Reply #1
Hi there,

This is the foobar preferences page for output. (File > Preferences > Playback > Output). If the option for Output Format is grayed out, that means it is controlled by Windows and you are getting the highest quality (32-bit float?) out of foobar. Someone more knowledgeable than me might provide technical details, but here is a developer to confirm.

Then, as you may have done already, you need to make sure your sound card is set to the quality you want in Windows sound device properties. (Just plugging it in is not enough as it probably defaults to 16-bit). To get there, right-click the speaker icon on Windows taskbar > Playback Devices (Win7) or Open Sound Settings (Win10) > select your sound card and click Device Properties > Advanced tab > select the desired Default Format (24-bit) > Test it for fun > OK.

Cheers 8)

Re: Foobar configuration for hi-res music and USB DAC

Reply #2
Review the output devices page in preferences and choose either ASIO or WASAPI for output, that will ensure the signal is send in exclusive mode and not remixed anywhere on the path.
Also make sure you have audio driver installed for your device as without driver you will only be able to play up to 24/96 resolution.
Then review your foobar DSP settings and remove everything unnecessary.
The rest depends on audio signal source you feed and playback hardware (DAC, AMP, speakers, cables)