Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_sid (Read 97537 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_sid

Reply #176
Stereo separation defaults to 50%. If it's still not stereo, then the library is at fault, and I have nothing I intend to fix.

Literally requesting stereo mode for all files:

https://git.lopez-snowhill.net/chris/foo_sid/-/blob/master/sid.cpp#L648

Is the High Voltage SID Collection not supported then?  That's where these SIDs are from.  They play correctly in sidplay2w.

Reply #177
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm using the latest upstream libsidplayfp. Name a SID with full path within the HVSC.

Reply #178
C64Music\MUSICIANS\B\Blues_Muz\Nordboe_Kjell\Two_Truths.sid

All SIDs play in mono for me - this is an easy test track since the start of the track is hard-panned right.  I'm using the latest versions of Foobar, foo_sid, and HVSC with the songlengths database loaded.  I tried adjusting the stereo separation, but it is still very clearly in mono.

Reply #179
The file info says it has only one SID chip. That cannot be stereo.

Reply #180
Not sure what file info you're looking at, but it is without a doubt stereo.  When dragging and dropping the file into sidplay2w without any metadata or context it plays in stereo.  See attachments.  The same is true for everything by Kjell Nordboe and many other composers in the HVSC.

Reply #181
libsidplayfp does not support splitting individual channels of a single SID chip into separate speakers.

Sorry, if you want to use a SID emulator from 16 years ago, be my guest.

Reply #182
libsidplayfp does not support splitting individual channels of a single SID chip into separate speakers.

Sorry, if you want to use a SID emulator from 16 years ago, be my guest.

If it means hearing the track the way it was meant to be heard then I will gladly use a 16 year old emulator.  I take it you have no plans to support the HVSC then?

Reply #183
Where the hell does it say that this track is "meant to be heard" in stereo?

Reply #184
It's obvious that the composers of these tracks put a lot of care into panning the sounds and that is an integral part of each track.  Just like listening to a stereo audio file in mono is not the way it's meant to be experienced.

Reply #185
The sid chip does not support panning.

Reply #186
The sid chip does not support panning.

I'm not here to argue about the capabilities of the SID chip.  The point is that composers have found a way to pan sounds and compose music in stereo.  Sidplay2w plays these SIDs correctly; foo_sid does not.  All I'm asking is foo_sid be updated to properly support these many thousands of tracks in the HVSC - as it would be really nice to have proper native SID support in foobar and not have to have foobar launch sidplay2w to play these files.

If you're not willing to do that, that's fine.  It's your project and you can do what you want with it.  But at least acknowledge that these files do not play correctly (as the composer intended) instead of blaming the architecture.  Go and listen to Nordboe's tracks on sidplay2w vs foo_sid and give your honest opinion on how you think he intended his tracks to sound.

Reply #187
Never mind my dismissal. I am asking the HVSC maintainer(s) via email if there is any truth to this.

Reply #188
Okay. I got a reply back from the maintainer of HVSC. They told me this track is definitely mono, and there is no way that a single SID chip tune can ever be stereo, and that you're blatantly lying. At best, my own opinion is that you're being fooled by a screwy player that is inventing its own stereo mode for individual chips that hard pans two of the channels to the left or right regardless of what the SID file does.

Reply #189
Hi Kode. Looks like foo_sid 1.6.1 is crashing Foobar 1.6.7. Attaching crash report txt and dmp.

Cheers
Dhry

Reply #190
Update: I was using columns UI 1.7 b1. Went back to v1.6 and all is well, foo_sid now loads. Evidently some sort of odd incompatibility, but no biggie.

Dhry

Reply #191
Actually foo_sid is easy to crash by triggering multiple decoders for a track simultaneously, like playback, waveform minibar and my automatic replaygain scanner DSP. The crash logger has sample submissions from a couple of weeks ago.

Reply #192
Thanks, I'll just delete this component, then. Since I cannot be arsed to fix this goddamn library to remove their use of thread unsafe shit.

Reply #193
Thanks, I'll just delete this component, then. Since I cannot be arsed to fix this goddamn library to remove their use of thread unsafe shit.

Please don't. I'm a big fan of it and would easily trade most of my other f2k components rather than give this one up. You're an excellent developer and very responsive, I know you've been slammed lately on this thread but fuck it. Keep doing what you do.

Dhry

Reply #194
Version 1.70 looks good. It hasn't so far crashed under identical use.