Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Media Library not working since I switched to portable instalation (Read 1258 times) previous topic - next topic

Media Library not working since I switched to portable instalation

So I've recently got into customizing my foobar. Spent years without really having anything but the playcounter component. Every guide recommends the portable installation so I thought I'd give that a try. Uninstalled foobar and reinstalled it using the aforementioned way. I go to Media Library, select my music folder's location and hit Apply, OK. Nothing happens. It says it's monitoring it but nothing is showing up. I tried reinstalling foobar and restarting the PC, but the issue persists. Also, after doing the portable installation I noticed that the program isn't actually "recognized" as being installed in the system, so to speak. It does not show under Control Panel > Programs and it isn't on the main menu shortcuts either. I'm using Windows 7.

Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Re: Media Library not working since I switched to portable instalation

Reply #1
Wonder who writes those "guides"... The fact that program is not recognized by Windows as installed is the main goal of creating portable installation. It "keeps system clean" and allows you to move it wherever you want on USB flashdrive. But also has downsides - you can't manage file associations via control panel.

So generally if your goals are NOT "keeping Windows clean" and walking with foobar on pendrive, simply install it normally. Then you can go along those guides about rest of configuration steps. It is the best possible solution of your problem.

Reply #2
Thanks, EpicForever. I guess I'll install it back to how it was, but that can't be all of it. Do people drag and drop their whole library every time they launch foobar? That would be weird...

EDIT; I reinstalled fb2k once again with the normal installation and... my library still isn't showing. Damn it. Everything worked perfectly until I decided I wanted to have a go at customizing my player.... So what else might be causing this? It says it's monitoring my music folder, but still there's nothing showing up.

Reply #3
Have you also enabled UI element for displaying library?

Reply #4
Do people drag and drop their whole library every time they launch foobar? That would be weird...
No it should work exactly the same as normal install. You did not have to uninstall your original foobar, you can have as many portable installs alongside as you like.

If you have a System Restore point from before, you could try to roll back.

No idea why you are not seeing files. I can only suggest to make sure you have the right path.

Reply #5
Rollin, I don't know. I added a ss of how it looks like atm. Either on Default or Library Selection Viewer, nothing shows.

No it should work exactly the same as normal install. You did not have to uninstall your original foobar, you can have as many portable installs alongside as you like.
Ugh... The pain...

If you have a System Restore point from before, you could try to roll back.
I'll give that a shot.

Reply #6
I have my Foobar portable forever and never had any problems with my (big) library

Reply #7
Rollin, I don't know. I added a ss of how it looks like atm. Either on Default or Library Selection Viewer, nothing shows.
No, those are not Library Viewers. In the screenshot you have the Playlist Manager and Playlist Viewer. To see the library, click Library menu > Album List.

Or even better add the Album List to your layout. To setup a quick layout, go View > Layout > Quick Setup > select a layout with the Album List.

(Not sure what you had before)

Reply #8
anamorphic, thanks a lot! I feel like such a doofus now. It's been several years since I had my foobar setup, so I must've forgotten about this sort of stuff. A bit on the unintuitive side I must say.

In my foobar I have these options when I click on Library from the toolbar: Search, Playback Statistics and Configure, Playback Statistics has: Show recently played/added, Monitor playing statistics and Import/Export Statistics, I clicked on "Show recently added" and that did the trick, but I can't see the Library > Album List you mentioned, where is that exactly?

OK, in any case am glad it's back. Thanks again!

Reply #9
Album List is part of default foobar install, it should be there. It shows the list of artists/albums in a tree format. In the screenshot you posted, you can see it listed under 'Installed media library viewers'. Very strange to have it missing.

Did you do a System Restore? Perhaps it did not correctly restore everything that was uninstalled. If so, you could try a re-install over top of your current install location (no different than updating to new version, should keep settings and layout).

Best of luck :)