Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't Rip Track But Can Play It (Read 1018 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't Rip Track But Can Play It

Hi,

I have a new CD I am ripping to MP3 and one of tracks (out of 14) won't rip.  I get this error:

1 out of 1 tracks converted with major problems.

Source: "cdda://0148ADEA" / index: 10
  Unable to open file for writing (Object not found) : "E:\Shelli\Music\Georg Philipp Telemann, Musica Amphion\Tafelmusik\Georg Philipp Telemann, Musica Amphion - Tafelmusik, Part II No. 1- Overture for trumpet, oboe, strings & continuo in D major, TWV 55-D1- I. Overture- Lentement - Vite - Lentement - Vite - Lentement.mp3"
  Conversion failed: Object not found

However, if I just try to play the track, that works fine.  Is there something that can be done to get this track to rip?  I have tried multiple time with the same error.

Re: Can't Rip Track But Can Play It

Reply #1
fb2k can often handle paths longer than what Windows is comfortable with, but this was very long indeed. Tried to just shorten down filename to, say, tracknumber?

(BTW, if you are ripping CDs, why not go lossless first and extract to whatever format you need for portable later?)

Reply #2
That file name should be fine unless the E: drive is using FAT file system. For NTFS file system it isn't even close to hitting any limits.

Reply #3
Hi, I believe the drive is NTFS, but I shortened the track name and was able to rip it.  Thanks for the help.

Reply #4
I think even without the total path length limit, NTFS still has a 256 character limit per path element.

Reply #5
Indeed it does, most filesystems do. But the longest component in the path above is 203 characters.

Reply #6
The full path is 268 characters, longer than the default 260 char MAX_PATH. This can be modified following the W10 Anniversary update, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Don't forget International Talk Like A Pirate Day! September the 19th!

Reply #7
foobar already supports arbitrary paths up to 32767 characters long, even on Windows 7 and older, thanks to the "\\?\" prefix it automatically applies to all local paths.