Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Needle Drop? (Read 4227 times) previous topic - next topic

Needle Drop?

I keep seeing the term "needle drop" used here, and I'm beginning to think it means something different than what I understand it to refer to. I think of "needle drop" as that time I hit my cueing lever, not realizeing that all of the damping fluid has seeped out of the cueing mechanism, resulting in the tonearm dropping like a rock, placeing a divot in my nice new record, that results in a permanent "pop". Or, I'm using a manual table, and while trying to gently lower the tonearm, (after eleventy-seven beers), it slips, and I get the same result.

Are you all using the term "needle drop" to simply mean "playing a vinyl record"? 

Artie

Re: Needle Drop?

Reply #1
It typically means a digital rip made from analog vinyl record(s).

Reply #2
Yeah...   Slang for a digitized copy of a vinyl record.  

I don't like the term "rip" either...  ;)      And personally, I only use "rip" in reference to CDs.

Reply #3
I've digitised a few hundred LPs, EPs and singles, and still don't have a word for it. "Rip" doesn't feel right, and "needle-drop" sounds like an expensive accident.

Reply #4
What it is,  is ADC . Analog to digital conversion.

Reply #5
It is making a digital recording from an analogue source:
a phono preamp instead of a microphone preamp,
a cartridge transducer instead of a microphone transducer,
a phonograph record instead of a musical instrument or voice.
The ADC is the same in both cases.
The recording program is the same in both cases.

Reply #6
"A needle drop is a version of a music album that has been transferred from a vinyl record to digital audio or other formats. Needle drops are sometimes traded among music collectors, especially when the original vinyl recording has not been released officially on a subsequent consumer format. It is also referred to as a 'Vinyl Rip' or 'Record Rip'" ~ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_drop_(audio)
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #7
Thanks all. That pretty much covers it. I understand.

Reply #8
... Or it's what happens when a Christmas tree is not watered regularly.