Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC @ 128kbps listening test discussion (Read 82085 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC @ 128kbps listening test discussion

Reply #325
The test also seems at least 1.5 years old. Lots has happened in that time with AAC.

I was going to say the same thing.

Plus, it seems the results of that test have been recycled from time to time over the past year-and-a-half.  I'm sure I've seen them multiple times now.

After at least one major update has been made to a codec involved in a test, the test results will be out of date (at least when discussing the current version of a format).  Only recent results can be trusted, and only until such a code change occurs again.

(This is in addition to the other shortcomings of the afforementioned test.)

Reply #326
Plus, it seems the results of that test have been recycled from time to time over the past year-and-a-half.  I'm sure I've seen them multiple times now.

I could confirm that.

Reply #328
Holy cow. Will Apple be using Roberto's test results in commercials now
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #329
I think rjamorim might take offense to this...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/top_news_item.cfm?NewsID=8097

Apple's iTunes has emerged victorious in a series of listening tests run by the [span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']CD Freaks Web site[/span].

[bad language removed by moderation]

This is too much. I already got pissed when Slashdot claimed my tests were conduced by Hydrogenaudio. But this is ridiculous!

Reply #330

probably a silly mistake, i took a liberty and send email to the news editor (Jonathan Evans, http://www.macworld.co.uk/contact/ ) with a request to fix the error.
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #331

probably a silly mistake, i took a liberty and send email to the news editor (Jonathan Evans, http://www.macworld.co.uk/contact/ ) with a request to fix the error.

Me too
myspace.com/borgei - last.fm/user/borgei

Reply #332

Me too 

Me too, and I got a reply. Guess his mailbox is getting busy
flac > schiit modi > schiit magni > hd650

Reply #333
Their interpretation of the result is also factually wrong, and different from what roberto wrote.

Reply #334
This is too much. I already got pissed when Slashdot claimed my tests were conduced by Hydrogenaudio. But this is ridiculous!

Hehe, I think the problem is that they want to refer to some known web site. Rarewares is not so known really. And since you don't want to mention Hydrogenaudio's strong support anymore in the results page in providing test discussion and test participants (in fear of sites likes Slashdot referring to the test as HA test), this is what happens..

I'm sure CD-Freaks don't mind though.. 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #336
And since you don't want to mention Hydrogenaudio's strong support anymore in the results page in providing test discussion and test participants (in fear of sites likes Slashdot referring to the test as HA test), this is what happens..

Blah. Bollocks. I give lots of credits to HydrogenAudio at the listening tests start page. And they insisted on keeping the CDfreaks link even after I pointed they were wrong (they also ruined their HTML, heh. morons). So, it's just that they seem to want to advertize Freaks, in some way or another.

Reply #337
And since you don't want to mention Hydrogenaudio's strong support anymore in the results page in providing test discussion and test participants (in fear of sites likes Slashdot referring to the test as HA test), this is what happens..

Blah. Bollocks. I give lots of credits to HydrogenAudio at the listening tests start page. And they insisted on keeping the CDfreaks link even after I pointed they were wrong (they also ruined their HTML, heh. morons). So, it's just that they seem to want to advertize Freaks, in some way or another.

Well, at the same time did you ask them to change the "CD-Freaks is reporting" to "Hydrogenaudio is reporting"?
This is not the first time freaks take credit for something they have no business what so ever..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #338
Zed's ranting moved here.
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #339
[bad language removed by moderation]

Duh...
http://cornelldailysun.com/articles/11061/

Anyway: Already fixed the plots for the first AAC test and the 128kbps extension test. Working on the 64kbps test plots now.

Edit: 64kbps results are up too. Will work on MP3 128 and AACv2 later. Stay tuned...

Reply #340
Well, at the same time did you ask them to change the "CD-Freaks is reporting" to "Hydrogenaudio is reporting"?

Nope, because I didn't know they would insist on mentioning CDfreaks. I guessed they would replace it with a link to rjamorim.com. It seems to me they deliberately want to give some sort of credit to CDfreaks.

Reply #341
It seems to me they deliberately want to give some sort of credit to CDfreaks.

Thats absolutely absurd.  Does CDfreaks have some affiliation with Apple?
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #342
Thats absolutely absurd.  Does CDfreaks have some affiliation with Apple?

Not that I know of. But why insist of mentioning them at their article? CDfreaks weren't the only ones announcing it, it was also announced by Afterdawn, Slashdot etc.

Reply #343
Not that I know of. But why insist of mentioning them at their article? CDfreaks weren't the only ones announcing it, it was also announced by Afterdawn, Slashdot etc.

Thats what I was saying, I meant it was absurd of them, not you .  Sorry for not being totally clear.
gentoo ~amd64 + layman | ncmpcpp/mpd | wavpack + vorbis + lame

Reply #344
i just noted that the results of the last aac test still point to the old, not corrected plots

it gets displayed this old plot by default:

(rarewares.hydrogenaudio.org/rja/plot12z.png)
which is the one i created right after the test and surely hasnt the corrected error bars

still you seem to have already uploaded the correct plots already here:

(www.rjamorim.com/test/64test/plot12z.png)
but the result page doesnt link to it
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #345
OK, after lots of interpretation, I understood what you are saying.

Keep in mind this is the AAC test thread. And you mention "the results of the last aac test", and right under you link graphics of the 64kbps test. There was a knot in my brain ("what is he talking about after all?") 

Fixed it now.  Thanks for reporting.

Reply #346
me stupid 
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #347
I encode my audio cds with NERO mp4 @ 387kps....then listen with my 5.1...and thrash out to some insane sounding euphoric sound!