Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rate your music with Foo_rating plugin (beta) (Read 121392 times) previous topic - next topic

Rate your music with Foo_rating plugin (beta)

Foo_rating (Version BETA 1.3)  

Now you can use different tray icon for track with rating and track without rating, even support custom tray icons. You can also custom font and color of the display window .

This plugin will display a icon in the system tray. When your mouse move over the icon or in certain percentage of the song, it will a window with 5 stars. Just click one of the star to set the rating of current playing. This is the test version. Please report any bug or feature request. Thanks.

Thanks Jörg and Cyex for the tray icons. My gratitude also goes to Andreas Toth and people who support the development of foo_rating plugin.

Moderation: This component has been banned due to a violation of the foobar2000 SDK license.

Download link removed.

Change log:
Beta 1.3
Features added:
+ be able to disable popup window when in full screen mode
Bug fixed and changes:
+ popup window grabs focus of active window
+ stars in popup window are not drawed transparently
+ larger stars for tray icon

Beta 1.2
Features added:
+ different tray icon for track with rating and without rating
+ support custom tray icons
+ support change font, font color and background color

Beta 1:
1. Most bugs are cleared.
2. Add preference page in foobar preference dialog.
3. You can set the display time of star window.
4. Show star window in progress of playing a song by percentage. So you can rate a song when it is ending.
5. You can also set the transparency of the star window.

Alpha 1:
First build.

Future development
1. custom bitmap for stars
2. custom font and color for title and window
3. custom format of title

Preference page

Tray icons

Custom font, color and background color of popup window

Reply #1
Nice and rate my songs correct, but contextmenu of systray doesn't seems to work for me.

p.s.
Now we have a lot of possibilities to rate our songs, but no one has the mood to compile foo_quicktag for new version. No way to manage intermediate sub-menus just like quicktag did with a slash (e.g. Genre, Year, Rating, ...)! - Thats sooo pity!   

((((( Strictly4me )))))

Reply #2
Nice and rate my songs correct, but contextmenu of systray doesn't seems to work for me.

Thanks. I haven't finish the context menu yet. Hope this and a config dialog with more control of the display of star window will be done in few days.

p.s.
Now we have a lot of possibilities to rate our songs, but no one has the mood to compile foo_quicktag for new version. No way to manage intermediate sub-menus just like quicktag did with a slash (e.g. Genre, Year, Rating, ...)! - Thats sooo pity! 

Can you tell me how many ways of doing this and what are they? Actually before writing this plugin, I searched for component like this. But I only found a plugin for Samurize which can't work with foobar 0.9, since quick tag plugin is not ported to 0.9. Here is the link to some discussion of it.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t258077.html

Reply #3
Can you tell me how many ways of doing this and what are they?

Masstagger with scripts, foo_run with buttons, single playlist with codes for images, foo_custominfo and now your plugin.

But I only found a plugin for Samurize which can't work with foobar 0.9, since quick tag plugin is not ported to 0.9. Here is the link to some discussion of it.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/in...hp/t258077.html

I know, because I start this thread! Thats one more reason why I prefer foo_quicktag. This was the only plugin, which was working with commandlines. The other reason you can see above, it had the feature to manage intermediate sub-menus (e.g. Genre, Year, Rating, ...). - Very good reasons, i think!

((((( Strictly4me )))))

Reply #4
Thanks. Strictly4me.

I have updated the plugin. Please try it out. Hope you guys will like it.

Reply #5
Ok, contextmenu still not working!
Max. rating ist allways 5 and I can't change it.
I don't know how to set other colors. Which code i have to use? $rgb(0,0,0) by example?
Enable/disable doesn't seems to work in preferences.

((((( Strictly4me )))))

Reply #6
Thanks.

I haven't write the color setting code yet.  I'll update it this weekend.

Happy thanksgiving!

Reply #7
Hi,

When the plugin writes the rating tag, it is wiping out all other tag information. I'm using foobar 0.9.4.2b2 & foo_rating Beta 1. Is this a plugin problem or do I have something set up incorrectly?
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #8
Hi,

When the plugin writes the rating tag, it is wiping out all other tag information. I'm using foobar 0.9.4.2b2 & foo_rating Beta 1. Is this a plugin problem or do I have something set up incorrectly?

Thank you for the information. I am using foobar 0.9.4.1 now. It dosen't seem my tag information are cleared after rating. Anyway, I'll check it out if it's a problem with foobar 0.9.4.2b2.

Reply #9

Hi,

Thank you for the information. I am using foobar 0.9.4.1 now. It dosen't seem my tag information are cleared after rating. Anyway, I'll check it out if it's a problem with foobar 0.9.4.2b2.

My problem arose using my computer at work, but here at home it is working just fine. From time to time I've had some weird things happen on my work computer, so I really should have waited to post until I got home. My apologies!
Surf's Up!
"Columnated Ruins Domino"

Reply #10
This feature is canceled in next release because of some restriction of foobar2000 SDK license. Please refer to "What are inappropriate window modifications" section of following link for details. Sorry about this.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=44213

New feature annoucement!

In next release, you can see stars and set rating in Column UI, even select your own star bitmap.

Reply #11
Using your plug-in right now and it works perfectly, nice job !

Would it be possible to customize the systray icon or remove it ? Even better you could make the rating balloon appear when you move your mouse around the foobar icon (although it would probably be a hack), or duplicate the foobar icon menu and behavior, so that we could disable it and use only your icon.
It's not really important, but I don't like to have too many icons in the systray, and having 2 for foobar seems a little weird.

Also, a little window pops up in the upper-left corner of the screen each time I set a rating, and disappear instantly. Is it possible to disable it ?

Reply #12
Using your plug-in right now and it works perfectly, nice job !

Would it be possible to customize the systray icon or remove it ? Even better you could make the rating balloon appear when you move your mouse around the foobar icon (although it would probably be a hack), or duplicate the foobar icon menu and behavior, so that we could disable it and use only your icon.
It's not really important, but I don't like to have too many icons in the systray, and having 2 for foobar seems a little weird.

Thanks for using this plugin and your comments.

I knew that too many icons staying in the tray is annoying. I am trying to make the ballon pop up when mouse is over the foobar icon, but haven't found how to do that with foobar SDK. I'd be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell me how to control the foobar TRAY ICON via the SDK. 

Also, a little window pops up in the upper-left corner of the screen each time I set a rating, and disappear instantly. Is it possible to disable it ?

The window appeared in the top-left of screen is the progress bar for changing the tag information. It's foobar's default behavior. I don't think we can hide or disable it, although I have tried to do so.

Reply #13
I knew that too many icons staying in the tray is annoying. I am trying to make the ballon pop up when mouse is over the foobar icon, but haven't found how to do that with foobar SDK. I'd be greatly appreciated if anyone could tell me how to control the foobar TRAY ICON via the SDK.
You cannot do that with the SDK. The try icon is part of whichever user interface you are using.

Reply #14
Eh, I don't like it. The little tray icon is very rudimentary looking, and I think I'd like it much more if it was part of Colums UI, but I guess that isn't possible. Thanks though.

Reply #15
You cannot do that with the SDK. The try icon is part of whichever user interface you are using.

Thanks. foosion

Eh, I don't like it. The little tray icon is very rudimentary looking, and I think I'd like it much more if it was part of Colums UI, but I guess that isn't possible. Thanks though.

Thank you for the comments. You are right. I have the exact feeling with you. However, what can you do if Column UI dosen't provide such a feature?

To be honest, the icon is adopted from an article in codeproject.com. I am considering eliminate it.  Or change to a better one later.

Reply #16
Now you can disable the trayicon if you don't like it. And you can enable/disable the plugin in the preference page.

Reply #17
I still don't like it. How can I use it without the tray icon enabled? And how can I make a playlist based upon the ratings I've given?

Reply #18
I still don't like it. How can I use it without the tray icon enabled? And how can I make a playlist based upon the ratings I've given?

Again, thanks for comments.

Please look the preference page, there are two checkbox named "Show window at %". Check any one of them or both, move the slider, the rating window will display when foobar play to selected percent of the song. So you may have one display at the start of playing a song, and one at the before end.

Unfortunately, nothing has been done for the playlist thing. But I am improving it.

Reply #19
OK, my mistake for being a n00b. I like it now.

I can't seem to change the font or colors of the pop up window though. No matter how I change the display of the rating window, it remains the same. Also, it would be great if I could rate a song by right clicking on it and then selecting that rating through the context menu. For example: right click a song -> rating -> 4 stars. Would be handy.

Thanks.

Edit - Something else I noticed is that the window pops up when ever I hover my cursor over the icon regardless of whether that option is selected or not in the preferences. Also, I noticed I can add a button for view/Foo Rating, but when I press it it doesn't do anything - what's that for? Also, I decided to start using the (ugly) tray icon again. It would be great if we could use custom images for that, or if there were some other way to rate a song than the timed pop up window(right clicking the Foobar tray icon might not be a bad idea).

Edit again - The tray icon was just 'hidden'...I was thinking it might be cool if there was an option to force it to do that anytime it was in the system tray.

Reply #20
OK, my mistake for being a n00b. I like it now.

Geat! 
I can't seem to change the font or colors of the pop up window though. No matter how I change the display of the rating window, it remains the same. Also, it would be great if I could rate a song by right clicking on it and then selecting that rating through the context menu. For example: right click a song -> rating -> 4 stars. Would be handy.

Thanks.

Edit - Something else I noticed is that the window pops up when ever I hover my cursor over the icon regardless of whether that option is selected or not in the preferences. Also, I noticed I can add a button for view/Foo Rating, but when I press it it doesn't do anything - what's that for? Also, I decided to start using the (ugly) tray icon again. It would be great if we could use custom images for that, or if there were some other way to rate a song than the timed pop up window(right clicking the Foobar tray icon might not be a bad idea).

Most of problems you mentioned, such as change the font and color of the popup window, are because I haven't linked the user interface with the code. This is will be done soon.

I will also add the feature of rating a song or a playlist from the context menu in the next release.

Sure you will get the feature of custom tray icon and stars.  The code is already done, just need some UI work.
Edit again - The tray icon was just 'hidden'...I was thinking it might be cool if there was an option to force it to do that anytime it was in the system tray.

Can you explain this? Do you mean hide when inactive?

Reply #21
Yes, when it became 'inactive'. I found out how to customize what's always hidden and what isn't, but any time I close Foobar I seem to lose the preference for the rating system tray icon to stay 'always hidden'.

Also, I really don't like the timed pop-up window you can set in the preferences. I thought I would like it, but because I had it set to pop up towards the beginning of the song and towards the end, they would sometimes overlap(on short songs) since I had the time they were set to display set to a certain length. I still like it though and look forward to future releases. Thanks.

Edit - I also think since you can make a button for 'View/Foo Rating'(that doesn't do anything) that it would be nice if when pressing such a button the rating window would come up right over where you have the button at. That would probably be the quickest way for me to rate a song, since it's against the license or something to rate from within columns UI(even though it's apparently possible and I would love such a feature).

Reply #22
How did you get the rating to display in the column? I have tried to read about foo_rating and even looking at the prefrences in foobar and I could not find anytihng. Thanks.

-Brandon

Reply #23
How did you get the rating to display in the column? I have tried to read about foo_rating and even looking at the prefrences in foobar and I could not find anytihng. Thanks.

-Brandon

Right click on one of the column headers and make sure you have rating checked.

Reply #24
There was no Rating listed available. So, I tried to make one but I do not know what to type in for the field. I tried %rating% and such but nothing has worked.

Screenshot