Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC in Ogg wrapper not a supported file format? (Read 964 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC in Ogg wrapper not a supported file format?

With Foobar 1.4 (no 3rd party input plugins) I can stream this station that uses 24-bit FLAC in an Ogg wrapper with no problems:

http://secure.live-streams.nl/flac.flac

However, if I download the original stream using XMPlay (Streamripper cannot deal with FLAC or I would use that via foo_run) to a file, attempting to play it with Foobar results in "unsupported format", despite the fact it plays fine in FB as a live stream.  Same file will open and play in AIMP and XMPlay.  MediaInfo shows this for the downloaded file:

General
Complete name                            : C:\Streams\flac.flac
Format                                   : Ogg
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
File size                                : 15.5 MiB
Duration                                 : 7 h 18 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 957 b/s
FileExtension_Invalid                    : ogg ogm opus

Audio
ID                                       : 25925 (0x6545)
Format                                   : FLAC
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration                                 : 7 h 18 min
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Writing library                          : libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)

Any ideas as to why it won't play in FB?  Probably has something to do with the "FileExtension_Invalid" flag but then why would it play fine in the other two players?

Re: FLAC in Ogg wrapper not a supported file format?

Reply #1
Probably has something to do with the "FileExtension_Invalid" flag but then why would it play fine in the other two players?
Probably because foobar2000 does care about extension? Is it too difficult to rename it to .ogg (or .oga)?

Re: FLAC in Ogg wrapper not a supported file format?

Reply #2
Probably because foobar2000 does care about extension? Is it too difficult to rename it to .ogg (or .oga)?

Not too difficult at all, now that I know what the problem was, and THANK YOU Ivqcl for pointing out the solution  :) !  I should have figured that from the MediaInfo message, but I didn't key on the fact that it's actually suggesting the CORRECT extension to use, not invalid ones.