Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Disable crash report dialog window (Read 1033 times) previous topic - next topic

Disable crash report dialog window

So I was wondering if it was possible to disable the crash dialog? I only ask because (as I said in my other thread) my business uses foobar to play music back. We have a piece of software called Keep Running that makes sure that foobar restarts every day, but if there's a crash and there's a report dialog window, Keep Running won't restart the music. So... is there a way to set up foobar to just crash and not display the window? We have no monitor hooked up to the machine, so if it crashes, I have to log in remotely to click the box.

Thanks guys!

Re: Disable crash report dialog window

Reply #1
I am assuming you mean that restart is getting stopped by the open troubleshooting dialog box.

If I understand correctly, Foobar2000 upon load , looks for a file named running.
If found, it open the dialog, if not it opens in standard fashion.

Your keep running program allows for batch files. Test for the existence of the running file and delete it before starting Foobar2000.

Reply #2
Not exactly the same either. The IPC also gets stopped by an install path and user global mutex, which is maintained until the process terminates, and the process is still running even as it is displaying the crash dialog.

You could actually try commanding your restarting script to quit the process gracefully, since it shouldn't be crashing every 24 hours on its own.

Code: [Select]
foobar2000.exe /exit

Reply #3
I am assuming you mean that restart is getting stopped by the open troubleshooting dialog box.

If I understand correctly, Foobar2000 upon load , looks for a file named running.
If found, it open the dialog, if not it opens in standard fashion.

Your keep running program allows for batch files. Test for the existence of the running file and delete it before starting Foobar2000.
This exactly. And I should clear this up -- the restart of Foobar every night around 4 am is so the music doesn't play back in the same order day after day.

I've installed ClickOff as a way to basically disable a crash in the meantime if there isn't a way internally to disable the Crash window.

Reply #4
You can reset the shuffle order simply by issuing the Playback -> Random option, which can be triggered from the command line:

Code: [Select]
foobar2000.exe /command:Random

Reply #5
As far as I remember there should be an option in Adv. Prefs to suppress that dialog box. Sorry, can't give better directions, as I am now in hospital, typing from phone...

Reply #6
There is an option to disable showing the startup dialog after a crash, the one informing about crash and having an option to start in safe mode. This is the dialog tpijag's batch file method would have suppressed. There is no option to disable the crash dialog asking to submit a crash log. But foobar2000 on non-broken machine shouldn't crash. Crash bugs in the core are very rare and most third party components are stable too.

Reply #7
Personally I would wait for next crash, log in remotely, submit crash report and opened Troubleshooter webpage (or maybe it even opens automatically then). It gives very good hints of what causes the crash (what plugin). I know it from own experience.  Then I would delete that plugin or look for its replacement.

Especially if your business relies on music played by foobar. You can somewhat deal with constant crashes due to faulty plugin that you like when it happens in home, but not in business. To simply play music randomly in cafe you just need foobar's core and maybe additional decoder plugin... No fancy plugs like foo_ui_hacks.