Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pandora DSP/codec changed recently? (Read 1590 times) previous topic - next topic

Pandora DSP/codec changed recently?

Has anyone noticed Pandora's codec and/or DSP scheme has changed recently, like in the last few days? Two things I've noticed:

* Full bandwidth on most tracks up to 20kHz (previously was limited to 16-18kHz)
* Varying levels of compression/limiting/normalization (previously was more consistent) -- seems to be an attempt at subjective loudness normalization, but this is causing severe limiting in some tracks and none in others.

In general I'd give the new scheme a big thumbs down. I don't think the codec sounds as clean even though it (ostensibly) goes out to 20kHz. This could just be SBR with a lower base bitrate than before.

I'd be grateful for anyone else's observations.

Reply #1
Free pandora is always SBR, so unless you're paying for regular AAC I wouldn't worry too much about the highest frequency.

Reply #2
Interesting, thanks. I've been using Pandora One all along and wasn't aware there was a difference. However, I monitor audio metrics fairly close and am certain something has changed. Previously I have never seen consistently full BW audio/SBR nor this aggressive compression/limiting.