Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hey John33 (Read 5444 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey John33

Is there any chance that you would add 32-bit wavs as input files in these apps?
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Hey John33

Reply #1
do you mean in oggdropxpd ?
i think vorbisgain will be implemented in near future.

but i don't really know what your question has to do with wavgain 

Is there any change that you would add 32-bit wavs as input files in these apps?

About Wavegain and Volumax

Hey John33

Reply #2
Is there any change that you would add 32-bit wavs as input files in these apps?

For Volumax, it can be done without too much trouble.

For WaveGain, I guess it could also be done. The replaygain code only works for 16 bit integer format, but that's for calculation. So long as your willing to live with the input being converted and calculated on as 16 bit, but the actual gain being performed on the 32 bit samples, OK. I guess on that basis it could be adapted for all bit depths.

I'll put them on the TODO list.

Hey John33

Reply #3
@Xenion
do you mean in oggdropxpd ?
i think vorbisgain will be implemented in near future.

No, I just want to process 32-bit waves written by Foobar when using Lossy files so I can Wavegain them at 32-bit, dither them back to 16-bit and burn the disc

@ John
Well, it could be a little more cpu comsuming, but is allright, it doesn't make a huge db difference anyway.

Just one concern, how would values over +1/-1 be trated ??
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Hey John33

Reply #4
@ John
Well, it could be a little more cpu comsuming, but is allright, it doesn't make a huge db difference anyway.

Just one concern, how would values over +1/-1 be trated ??

The amount of extra processing would be minimal. After it's been replaygained and dithered to the required bit depth, over full scale is checked and set to full scale values as necessary. In practice, a fairly unlikely event.

Hey John33

Reply #5
WaveGain V0.9.8 uploaded and available at my 'Other' page at Mirror 1 (link at foot of homepage).

Will accept input from 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit integer and floating point wave files.

I'll do the same with Volumax. BTW, someone mentioned that Volumax was not working properly recently. I discovered that this is true for Title Gain.  The gain is calculated and displayed, but is not applied!! Works fine in Album mode. I've fixed this, but I'll make the other changes before I upload.

Hey John33

Reply #6
I thought Volumemax was doing weird things.  Thanks John33
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Hey John33

Reply #7
OK, Volumax V0.2 uploaded and available at 'Other Stuff' Mirror 1. 

Bug fixed and now accepts input from same wave file formats as WaveGain.

Hey John33

Reply #8
Thanks john! 

Hey John33

Reply #9
Again... beautiful work !

Just some questions: is OGGDropXPd using SSRC code for resample ?

What amount of LOWPASS FILTER should i use in low bitrates (-1) mono profiles ?

Hey John33

Reply #10
WaveGain V0.9.8 uploaded and available at my 'Other' page at Mirror 1 (link at foot of homepage).

... except for some reason, output from WaveGain 0.9.8 is not identical to output from 0.9.7. I ran a test-pass of the same source through each, and while most of the bits were identical, EAC showed no less than 37 segments described as having "different samples." 

- M.

Hey John33

Reply #12

... except for some reason, output from WaveGain 0.9.8 is not identical to output from 0.9.7. I ran a test-pass of the same source through each, and while most of the bits were identical, EAC showed no less than 37 segments described as having "different samples." 

- M.

This is possible as I changed a few routines to use floats instead of doubles. However, the differences should be completely inconsequential and totally inaudible.

Hey John33

Reply #13
thank you, John33, for putting your sw accepting 24 bits input.

this change is a great improvement for me.
wagner reatto

Hey John33

Reply #14
Again... beautiful work !

Just some questions: is OGGDropXPd using SSRC code for resample ?

No, oggdropXPd doesn't use SSRC, it uses the same code as oggenc.
What amount of LOWPASS FILTER should i use in low bitrates (-1) mono profiles ?

Except in very unusual circumstances, there should not really be any need to use the lowpass option at all. The encoder already does a pretty good job of sorting that out for itself.

Hey John33

Reply #15
thank you, John33, for putting your sw accepting 24 bits input.

this change is a great improvement for me.

You're welcome! Always happy to be of service.

Hey John33

Reply #16
thank you john33

i use wavgain fairly often.  just the regular 16 bit.  i make the compiled cd's from different artists for traveling back and forth to work.  got tired of always up and down with the volume and started wavgaining them.  works very nice.  and now i can use the volumax for the portable that seems to have a 'weak' volume knob.

thanks again john33.  i really appreciate your ability to create excellent software.

Hey John33

Reply #17
@bechman

You should now set wavegain output to 32bit so there's less quantization noise after Volumax. or even better use a decoder that can output 32bit wavs.

Even if you are using lossless it's better to mod the files at a higher resolution and then dither back to 16bit

Hey John33

Reply #18
thanks /\/ephaestous

i am unsure exactly what you want me to do.  i rip the audio files into wav with cdex.  i then wavgain them so that they are all near the same volume level.  then i burn them to a cd-r to play while driving.  so far that works well.

how should i do it now?  sorry but i don't understand what you want me to do.  also i have not had an opportunity to do anything with the latest releases of wavgain and volumax.  just got them recently and been busy with life.  so part of my misunderstanding may be i have not used the new versions yet.  sorry

can you be more specific as to what programs to use, and in what order, and with what commands to do what you posted.

please.  thank you

i am willing to try most anything...i am just a bit confused at the moment

Hey John33

Reply #19
@bechman

You should now set wavegain output to 32bit so there's less quantization noise after Volumax. or even better use a decoder that can output 32bit wavs.

Even if you are using lossless it's better to mod the files at a higher resolution and then dither back to 16bit

I think he's talking about two different things. One to use WaveGain and the other to use Volumax. I don't think he's feeding WaveGain output into Volumax. But, I could be wrong!!

Hey John33

Reply #20
thanks john33

i was (still am) confused as to what was happening.  if there is a way to make things better for the output i will try it but i thought you used one or the other.  basically i think both programs do the same thing just one maximizes and the other adjusts.  of course i may be totally off as well.

Hey John33

Reply #21
My mistake, I though you Wavegain-ed then Volumax-ed, I think i misread your post.

I do Wavegain in radio mode  then Volumax in album mode so the tracks in the disc have the same lavel but the disc as a whole is at a maximun level (i do this because I use headphones in REALLY noisy places and the output of my portable is low so If I RG at 89 I won't be able to hear anything.)
And since anyway I have to change the CD I don't mind changing the Volume level once for each disc.

I understand this wasn't intended for RG but anyway I only use these discs in my portable. I use the originals at home.

I'm sorry If I confused you. I was confused myself.

If you are ok with the output of RG @ 89 db disc then you are doing it the right way.

Hey John33

Reply #22
thanks for the update.

yes i was confused.  but that doesn't take much sometimes.

thanks again for the info.

thanks john33 for the program.  it is REALLY a big help with the different volume levels.  some discs from the early 80 play so quiet and ones from 2002 are really loud.  wavgain has helped make it so that i can set the volume and enjoy 25 yrs of hits.

thanks

Hey John33

Reply #23
ok just to make things clear: can someone tell me the preferred settings for wavegain and volumax? 

i want to compile tracks ripped from various cds onto one cd, make sure that all tracks are of equal loudness, and then turn up the volume a little bit.  i understand i have to wavegain my files first,  then output them to volumax.

tnx in advance. 
WavPack 4.31 / LAME 3.98 alpha 3 -V9 -vbr-new

Hey John33

Reply #24
ok just to make things clear: can someone tell me the preferred settings for wavegain and volumax?  

i want to compile tracks ripped from various cds onto one cd, make sure that all tracks are of equal loudness, and then turn up the volume a little bit.  i understand i have to wavegain my files first,  then output them to volumax.

tnx in advance. 

Use WaveGain. Apply Track Gain to the individual tracks, the Hard Limiter and also a Manual Gain of 6dB. Try it on a couple of tracks and see if the volume is as you want it. If not, then apply a different Manual Gain, up or down as required.