Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Any way to salvage cracked Sennheiser HD650? (Read 4362 times) previous topic - next topic

Any way to salvage cracked Sennheiser HD650?

:'( A year ago my ~10 year old sennheiser HD 650 got a crack. Today they broke. Is this expected quality of a 500$ headphone? A replacement headband seems to go for ~100 EUR!
Any suggestions for a way to salvage?

[attachimg=1]

Re: Any way to salvage cracked Sennheiser HD650?

Reply #2
Well, you could try to repair it with super or epoxy glue?

Since there will be quite some stress I'd go with epoxy and maybe drilling small opposite holes to insert small bolts.
"I hear it when I see it."

Reply #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I did already try standard super glue from bostik. That didn't even seem able to hold it together in the first place. I guess I should try epoxy.
One problem I have is that I don't see now to remove the headband padding without breaking something. So unless someone knows how to do that I have to glue it with everything in place. Which is not so easy. When I tried to super glue I got the headband padding stuck and had to force it apart again.

I also noticed looking at pictures that the nice thick padding that used to be there is completely collapsed. Another sign that these headphones were never worth their asking price.

Reply #4
Maybe epoxy and a metal "splint".   If you can't find something lying around, look around the hardware store.     If that works and if you can remove one of the earpieces, you can cover the headband with heatshrink tubing to make the repair a little less ugly.

Personally, I'd probably buy the replacement part, or more-likely I'd replace them with a different brand. 

A year ago my ~10 year old sennheiser HD 650 got a crack....
...A replacement headband seems to go for ~100 EUR!
Logically, 10 EUR per year isn't bad.    But, I'd still be a little annoyed. ;)

Reply #5
The 600 headband has plastic clips on either end that say "Made in Ireland" - these can be popped off, then the foam slides out. I think you can then slide out the entire left and right halves of the headphone. This will give you the plastic headband part on its own. Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsP3QDJFLk
Hopefully the 650 headband works the same.

Reply #6
Superglue won't glue plastic.  I don't know if Epoxy will either.  They make special plastic glues.

Reply #7
@eric.w Thanks! Indeed they are the same. I was sure that piece was glued on.

I have look into getting the spare part. Seems the headband you can buy includes everything apart from the ears (and cost more than the actual speakers!) so also the padding. In Italy where I am now there doesn't seem to be a seller so it will cost 134 EUR from UK.
I can get them for 123 EUR when I am in Denmark since there is Sennheiser Nordic there. I guess I will end up doing that. This part bends all the time so probably a lost cause gluing it. And in my attempts to superglue I have put enough glue that the parts no longer fit close together.
With a new headband they are probably as good as new.

EDIT: I guess that is nonsense. The HD 598 speciel edition sell for 130 EUR here ATM and they seem much sturdier.

Reply #8
I would just buy the replacement part and be done with it. They're 10 years old. For the record I've owned HD650s for over 10 years and think they are worth every penny. Replacement part after 10 years, not so bad.

Reply #9
I would try epoxy. Also, the quality of the glue matters! I had a part that epoxy wouldn't last for long. I tried Gorilla Glue Epoxy and it has held for over 2 years now. Costs a little more, but worth it.
Glass half full!

Reply #10
The correct adhesive is "Plastic Weld" or similar. It is designed for gluing ABS and similar plastics. It won't help you now because of the residue of the other glues. You can buy it from model / hobby shops, It is used for gluing models together. It is not the thick glue in a tube, it is a liquid in a small bottle, usually with a small brush mounted in the cap. You confirm that the two surfaces to be joined will fit precisely together, then apply a thin coat of the glue to each surface and press them together firmly and hold them. After a couple of minutes the joint is usually solid enough to allow you to lay the piece carefully down. Leave it overnight to harden. If you do it carefully the join is almost invisible.
Regards,
   Don Hills
"People hear what they see." - Doris Day