Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Some questions regarding query syntax (Read 3112 times) previous topic - next topic

Some questions regarding query syntax

So, I've read through this page: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?ti...00:Query_syntax and have a few questions.

What's the difference between typing "artist" or " %artist " ? 

and

The document says "The user cannot access technical information (such as codec specifications) or component-provided information (playback statistics and such) through title-formatting."  why does it say I can't use playback statistics?  I know damn well I can type %play_count% IS 10 and it will work. 

thanks

Reply #1
What's the difference between typing "artist" or " %artist " ?

artist will give you the content of the artist tag. If this tag is empty, you'll get "?"
%artist% will look at artist tag, and if it's emtpy, it will than look at "album artist", "composer" and "performer" tags (Title formatting reference)
The document says "The user cannot access technical information (such as codec specifications) or component-provided information (playback statistics and such) through title-formatting."  why does it say I can't use playback statistics?  I know damn well I can type %play_count% IS 10 and it will work.

Dunno. Maybe it's outdated

Reply #2
I edited that to note an exception for foo_playcount, and I made some other edits and re-arrangements that I hope improve the Notes. I do think that perhaps the sub-section on title-formatting, or maybe even the entirety of the Notes, may benefit from being moved and/or integrated into the rest of the article. However, that’s a job for another day!

Reply #3
But aren't all playback statistics able to use queries?  I use them all the time.

I do agree the article needs to be edited so that an amateur is more able to understand.

Reply #4
foo_playcout = playback statistics, foo_playcount is just the "internal" component name.
There are unofficial "playback statistics" components too but those can't be querried.

Reply #5
foo_playcout = playback statistics, foo_playcount is just the "internal" component name.
There are unofficial "playback statistics" components too but those can't be querried.

Ah, gotcha. 

Reply #6
One more question....

How come you have to do %play_count% IS 10.  Why can't you do just play_count IS 10.  What is the logic beyond requiring the %? 

And more importantly, why does the wiki show an example "last_modified DURING LAST 2 WEEKS’’"  That query only works for me with percent signs.

Reply #7
Why can't you do just play_count IS 10.

Because play_count is not a metadata field. For other information, title formatting (e.g., %play_count%) has to be used.

And more importantly, why does the wiki show an example "last_modified DURING LAST 2 WEEKS’’"

That example is wrong. Use the help file that ships with foobar2000 instead, available from "?" buttons next to search fields. Maybe the wiki page should be removed, there is no point in maintaining this at two locations.

Reply #8
In any case, we should definitely keep me away from the page. :S Turns out I removed the percentage symbols in the past, presumably thinking – for whatever unknown reason – that was correct.

I’ve just updated the page with this correction and some other things from Frank’s other recent post about query syntax, but I would really appreciate Frank or someone else with more knowledge checking it over for any other glaring errors/failures. Or just scrapping it outright, as you’ve already suggested. These things might well be best left to the professionals, rather than being open to dunces like me.