Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best free tagging solution for MP3's (Read 12216 times) previous topic - next topic

Best free tagging solution for MP3's

Hello forum!

Found "The Godfather", the best tagging-solution for MP3-files a few days ago and tagged about 100 CD's the last week!

The name describes the features correct, it's in my opinion the best tagger available

Has the ability to get album-infos including cover-art from allmusic.com and so much features that can't be listed here! And it's Freeware!
The author is very nice and reacts on suggestions immediately! Give it a try under http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf

Greetings

Bernie

Reply #1
Took a look at the homepage, seems nice, though doesn't support APEv2

Reply #2
Hello!

APEv2??
Sorry, never heard of it, please explain!

Do you mean the Lame-preset Alt Preset Extreme?

Bernie

Reply #3
Hello!

APEv2??
Sorry, never heard of it, please explain!

Do you mean the Lame-preset Alt Preset Extreme?

Bernie

APEv2 is a tagging format, like ID3v1 and ID3v2. Quite superior to ID3v1, and I shouldn't use ID3v2 if I were you, since the tags are put in the beginning of the file, so the file must be completely rewritten by the tagger, which is known to cause some problems with certain taggers, as well as with some players (can't tell you exactly which programmes since I don't use ID3v2, but search for it on this forum and you'll see).

APEv2 is - for example - used by Foobar2000, and enables you to have custum tag definitions, as well as the famous replaygain tags. Case's Tag is the only tagger I know of which supports it  Ah well, Tag rocks anyway

Reply #4
Why don't you write to the author? He's a very nice person and has implemented a few features, I requested! Use the forum on his Homepage, he replies quickly to the posts there!

Bernie

Reply #5
You request it, you're already registered to that little forum

Reply #6
Added a new topic in the forum of "TGF".

By the way, my hardwareplayers are using the id3v2-Tag perfectly and with the use of "The Godfather" I didn't notice any problems at all! So I'm quite happy with id3v2 and there's no reason for me to switch to APEv2!

Bernie

Reply #7
Now you can post at the Forum of the author's website without registering!

Reply #8
As the author wrote in his forum:

I am going to support Ogg files in the near future they are 100% free and have their unique tagging structure as well....

Reply #9
updated to Version 0.43:

New genre editor allows custom genres to be defined and used.
Find duplicates uses the MD5 algorithm as well , when the 'audio' size of the files is identical.
Folder restructure now uses % variables at any combination possible so more flexible structures can be defined, a pop up menu is also available with more options.
New %N variable for the language tag field.
Rename has two more options, Joliet compatible file names and the removal of words inside parenthesis.
The playlist display format is customizable using % variables and an extra option to sort it is available both as a parameter and popup menu command.
Batch tag update has the ability to use pictures ( from file or clipboard ).
Online panel's album grids are editable, new option to append or not album cover art from allmusic.com to file , save as .cue file possibility when using freedb albums.
Fixes ( A better reading of ID3v2 frames is done so some files not 100% compliant to the ID3v2 standard can be edited, %D variable bug fixed, rare bug in folder restructuring found and corrected, minor fixes on control focus at AMG panel, small corrections in manual edit and play panel ).

Reply #10
are you sure your not the author, bernie66?

Reply #11
Yes, I'm shure!

The author is from Greece, I'm German!

I would be happy if I'd be the author, but I'm not even able to code a line 

I'm just satisfied with this tool!

Bernie

Reply #12
Yes, I'm shure!

The author is from Greece, I'm German!

I would be happy if I'd be the author, but I'm not even able to code a line  

I'm just satisfied with this tool!

Bernie

I do not trust you.

Greets.
Since I was a kid I've seen greedy people
just grabbing all they could take,
I promised myself I'd never become like them.

Reply #13
He's just a bit too enthousiastic about this littl' util

Reply #14
Yes, maybe!

But this is because you all use IMHO crappy commercial programs like "Helium" ;-)

It seems everyone is ignoring a very good tool and so I thought, a little promotion couldn't harm!

By the way: Update to 0.44:

New %U(1..5) variables so you can use up to 5 folders from the full path of the file, starting 1 level down from containing folder.
Remove parenthesis extended with characters like [] & {} and a special option to remove incomplete also.
Extra options when saving play lists as how the folders will be structured ( keep original, remove drive, replace drive or use a custom string using plain text and %variables )
Has picture checkbox column in manual grid.
Restructuring gives user feedback about the current file being processed.
Online panel has being enhanced with the following ( Auto sort of tracks using freedb's track lengths, sort by Track field, Artist per track can be used for various artist albums, Option as how empty fields will be treated, Choose what to update at AMG panel [tracks/comment/Picture], also new popup menu for Album image & toolbar for comment with options to load/save from-to file/clipboard.)
Fixes ( sorting problems with some grids fixed, illegal chars are removed when exporting AMG picture/comment to file, Batch tag update dialog fixes, Folder details in restructure leave plain text's case intact, other minor fixes ).

Bernie

P.S.: No, I'm not the author ;-)

Reply #15
But this is because you all use IMHO crappy commercial programs like "Helium" ;-)

Helium is not that commercial.

We are two good friends that have been working on it for years on our spare time, so calling us commercial is not justified. 

And I don't believe "all" users use it either, because we aren't that rich 

About the "crappy" notion, I don't think we deserve it. We've had some buggy releases but we've learned much since then.

No offense taken if you thought so, I just wanted to share my thoughts, and btw, the GodFather looks like a good competitor, and I bet he'll be asking for your money any day now 

Reply #16
He's just a bit too enthousiastic about this littl' util

This littl' util is actually very good.
Now that it supports APEv2 and ogg tags, i see no reason why someone should stick to commercial alternatives like Helium.
Is like... choosing vBulletin instead of Invision Power Board...

And no, the author still doesn't want our money.

Reply #17
TGF seems to be quite a good program if I refer myself to the features...

I don't think someone should use any non-free tagger because there's so many free good tagging/renaming programs.

I currently use Case's Tag (I don't think I'm the only one  ) and I think I'll stick to it because I like the way it works and the many possibilities it offers...
A Dwarf has its own way to fight !

Reply #18
Yes, maybe!

It seems everyone is ignoring a very good tool and so I thought, a little promotion couldn't harm!

By the way: Update to 0.44:

New %U(1..5) variables so you can use up to 5 folders from the full path of the file, starting 1 level down from containing folder.
Remove parenthesis extended with characters like [] & {} and a special option to remove incomplete also.
Extra options when saving play lists as how the folders will be structured ( keep original, remove drive, replace drive or use a custom string using plain text and %variables )
Has picture checkbox column in manual grid.
Restructuring gives user feedback about the current file being processed.
Online panel has being enhanced with the following ( Auto sort of tracks using freedb's track lengths, sort by Track field, Artist per track can be used for various artist albums, Option as how empty fields will be treated, Choose what to update at AMG panel [tracks/comment/Picture], also new popup menu for Album image & toolbar for comment with options to load/save from-to file/clipboard.)
Fixes ( sorting problems with some grids fixed, illegal chars are removed when exporting AMG picture/comment to file, Batch tag update dialog fixes, Folder details in restructure leave plain text's case intact, other minor fixes ).

Bernie

P.S.: No, I'm not the author ;-)

No, most people here use Case's excellent Tag (with a Frontend like Speek's, if you prefer GUIs), which is a lot more powerful (IMHO) than tools like the Godfather or Helium and additionally has support for more formats etc. About being commercial: Tag is open-source, if you really care...
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #19
[Sarcasm]
K-MP3!
[/Sarcasm]
"You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."

Reply #20
i was searching for one when i found that foobar's masstagging feature is very easy to use and powerful enough for me.
地獄

Reply #21
I do not trust you.  

Greets.

Ask one of the admins to check the IP addresses. <----This is a joke (Edit).
Happiness - The agreeable sensation of contemplating the misery of others.

Reply #22
Generally I do not want to interfere, but I am from Greece and I do not plan to ask for money the tool is there for you to use if you like it.
Finally I developed this tool for my personal usage ( and still developing ) and it is not targeted against any commercial software.

peace 
Dimitris

Reply #23
[Sarcasm]
K-MP3!
[/Sarcasm]

Reply #24
I use mp3tag and I love it! http://www.mp3tag.de/en/index.html
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'