Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Another headphone recommendation thread (Read 25380 times) previous topic - next topic

Another headphone recommendation thread

My budget is about $300.

I currently listen to a lot of electronic music (Autechre, AFX, Loscil, Boards of Canada, some video game music), rarely any rock, and I may listen to classical piano here and there.

I would like "neutral" sounding headphones, if that's possible, and I dont care if it makes some music sound uninteresting; booming bass is not desirable.  They cannot be in-ear headphones.  Closed headphones are preferred, but i can do open also.

eta: also, i do not want a pair that requires an amplifier or would benefit significantly from one.

eta2: my current mp3 player is the Cowon D2, if that helps any

Any suggestions?

Reply #1
Before you spend $300 on headphones, my advice is to go to a store (or stores) and listen for yourself rather than relying on random opinions.  (I'm generally a Grado fan, but they are "open".)

GoodCans.com[/color] has some good recommendations, but use these as a starting point before listening and making your own decision.

Reply #2
I'm not sure if there are any places around me that have headphones for testing, but does anyone at least know headphones in the price range that don't benefit significantly from an amp, or are very good for PMP's ?

Reply #3
http://headphone.com/

Check out that site.  They have excellant customer service, ratings and reviews of all the products they sell.

You won't be able to try them out, but you can call and discuss different models with them.

I would personally recommend Sennheiser's if you are looking to spend that much.  They have some excellent entry level headphones for less than $300 that are comfortable and perform great.  Check this one out: Sennheiser HD 448
JXL

Reply #4
Audio-Technica ATH-M50.

Reply #5
ok, i guess i got all the info on google, and went for the HD595.  very good pair of cans.

Reply #6
ok, i guess i got all the info on google, and went for the HD595.  very good pair of cans.

HD555 are sonically similar and almost twice as cheaper. They don't come with a nice headphone hanger though

Reply #7
My budget is about $300.

I currently listen to a lot of electronic music (Autechre, AFX, Loscil, Boards of Canada, some video game music), rarely any rock, and I may listen to classical piano here and there.

I would like "neutral" sounding headphones, if that's possible, and I dont care if it makes some music sound uninteresting; booming bass is not desirable.  They cannot be in-ear headphones.  Closed headphones are preferred, but i can do open also.

eta: also, i do not want a pair that requires an amplifier or would benefit significantly from one.

eta2: my current mp3 player is the Cowon D2, if that helps any

Any suggestions?

I too listen to Autechre, AFX, and Boards of Canada - in fact just last night :-).  (Oh how I wish BoC would release a new album!!!  Autechre's new album is great).  My headphone of choice are my Grado SR-225i's.  I also have a pair of SR-80i's which I enjoy very much.  They are open which I think is fantastic - it really makes the headphones transparent to the point where I'll forget that I'm listening to headphones.  They certainly don't have booming bass.  However, they do provide good tight bass without overpowering the music.  They aren't exactly "neutral" since they tend to be a little bright - some describe this as the "grado sound".  In comparison, my closed and IEM headphones (Sony MDR-V600 and Sennheiser CX-400) are more muted sounding with slightly booming bass.

I would recommend either set of headphones - the SR-80i's go for $100 and the SR-225i's go for $199.  They each come with different style ear pads that can be easily switched out.  The 80i's come with "comfy" cush pads.  They are flat, enhance the bass slightly and tone down the brightness.  The 225i's come with "bowl" style pads.  These provde a very rich overall sound.  With these you have to turn up the volume a little bit because these pads position the drivers further away from your ears.  Once you do this, you'll find the bass is comprable to the "comfy" cush pads. 

These pads can easily be interchanged.  When I bought my 225i's, I bought a set of cush pads because I liked that sound better initially.  While I was waiting for them to be delivered, I found that I had grown used to the bowl pads and actually perfer them now.  Some would say the headphones broke in - I would say my hearing broke in and I've adjusted to the difference in the sound.

If you consider these headphones, note that the 80i's come with a 1/8" jack which is easily used with any portable device; the 225i's come with a 1/4" jack which will require an adapter for portable use.  The cabling on the 225i's is thicker than the 80i's.  Depending on how you plan to use them, the 80i's are more suited to portable use than the 225i's; the 80i's have a less bulky cable and don't require an adapter.

Everybody's taste is different and you won't know until you listen to them.  Buy from an outfit that will let you return them if you don't like the way they sound.  Neither pair require a headphone amp.  I tried mine with one and I wouldn't say that they "benefit significantly" from them.  My iPod is more than capable of driving these to the point of being way too loud.

Good luck in your quest - let us know what you choose and what you think.

Ugh...I guess I should have read through the rest of the thread more thoroughly.  I see you got yourself a pair of Sennheisers.  I'll leave this post here for anybody else that may be considering headphones.

Reply #8
I had a pair of the SR60's and I hated them so much.  They made my ears beg for mercy (the high frequencies were LOUD) .  If the SR80s and SR-225s are similar I wouldn't touch them.

Reply #9
Yeah, the SR80s are also treble-heavy, but I think also have more bass than the SR60 as pretty much all accounts I've read say. Which, is still not much. I don't like it that much but not enough to sell it. It's uncomfortable (especially with the donut sponge pads that it came with originally - I think the new one comes with the softer ones that cover the whole driver), it falls easily, the cord is too long and heavy, and the build quality and design are something just meh. Grado phones look like purely audiophile products, to be honest (and not in the good way). I would like the retro design if it was actually functional and comfortable.

I am loving the Sennheiser wireless headphones with Kleer though. I have the RS170 and RS160 which seem to be the same headphones with identical sound as far as I can tell.

Reply #10
Since you already made your decision it's kind of pointless, but if you ever see a headphone that's being sold used or refurbished by "Amazon Warehouse" it's a pretty safe way to try out headphones and return them for a full refund with very cheap return shipping.  Unfortunately I haven't come across any other headphones besides the AD700s on there, just bought em, tried em out, and sent them back with only $5 out of pocket.  A lot more ethical than ripping off headphone.com's 30 day guarantee I guess haha.

Reply #11
I think i can still get a full refund for this product, cuz i would like to try out the K701's.  hmm

Reply #12
Since you already made your decision it's kind of pointless, but if you ever see a headphone that's being sold used or refurbished by "Amazon Warehouse" it's a pretty safe way to try out headphones and return them for a full refund with very cheap return shipping.  Unfortunately I haven't come across any other headphones besides the AD700s on there, just bought em, tried em out, and sent them back with only $5 out of pocket.  A lot more ethical than ripping off headphone.com's 30 day guarantee I guess haha.

Different strokes for different folks.

I saw the opportunity to pick up refurbed AD700s  on the cheap, and bought a couple of pair for church. Their first user was editing some video for me, and really liked them.

I've picked up refurbed HD280s in the past, and they are also pleasing people who want more isolation than the AD700s offer.

Reply #13

Different strokes for different folks.

I saw the opportunity to pick up refurbed AD700s  on the cheap, and bought a couple of pair for church. Their first user was editing some video for me, and really liked them.

I've picked up refurbed HD280s in the past, and they are also pleasing people who want more isolation than the AD700s offer.

I refused to shave my beard cause it made the AD700s too itchy for me, haha.

Reply #14

HD555 are sonically similar and almost twice as cheaper. They don't come with a nice headphone hanger though

I have the HD555 and they've served me very well for years. The main characteristic, as I experience it, is a comfortably visceral, non-booming bass. I selected it from about 8 other pairs at the shop because I was unable to discern superior quality from the higher-priced ones, and because of that bass characteristic I mentioned.

Though the more expensive one looked much cooler with its lilac/pink velvet pimpz0r cans. :\

Reply #15
Hi,

Actually, I have a Sennheiser HD437 (cheap i know) and the jack connector seem have contact problem. I seen in this topic many manufacturer such : Sennheiser, Koss, Grado, etc... But I wonder if i will go for wireless or not ? What do you think of wireless headphones ?
Windows 10 Pro
fb2k v.1.3.16

Reply #16

Great choice, Nuthen! I have several pairs of cans and those are, by far and so far, my favorite. I don't think you can do significantly better in that price range.
The Loudness War is over. Now it's a hopeless occupation.

Reply #17
Hi,

Actually, I have a Sennheiser HD437 (cheap i know) and the jack connector seem have contact problem. I seen in this topic many manufacturer such : Sennheiser, Koss, Grado, etc... But I wonder if i will go for wireless or not ? What do you think of wireless headphones ?

I would personally stick with corded headphones due to accuracy and such. I've never owned a pair of wireless and don't plan on ever buying them. Perhaps my opinion is a bit biased... I've just never read a good thing about wireless 'phones from sources I trust.

Reply #18
I'm loving the kleer headphones though. It's a pretty well thought out format, look it up. It's even compatible with some iPod functions. I wish they had more products out, but the Sennheiser headphones that have it are pretty good already.

Reply #19
I'm loving the kleer headphones though. It's a pretty well thought out format, look it up. It's even compatible with some iPod functions. I wish they had more products out, but the Sennheiser headphones that have it are pretty good already.

I haven't heard of this until now, Andy O. It looks interesting. Among the features I see described on the website is "high quality lossless audio."

I'm not going to lie. If the descriptions are accurate, I'd be seriously interested in such a thing!

Reply #20
I listen to EXACTLY the same music as you.  Listened to AFX (The Tuss) last night on my DT880s.

I've owned over a dozen high quality headphones over the years including the Grado SR60 and the Grado SR225.  I've spent hundreds of hours over at head-fi asking the same questions and about a year ago I purchased the Beyerdynamic DT880 and have yet to find anything better.  The Grados lacked bass extension and soundstage that the DT880 has in spades.

The DT880 is very neutral and open with great bass extension and treble extension and suits most genres of music very well.  If you're looking for a closed headphone, the DT770 is a worthy option, though I have heard rumours that the 80ohm version is bass heavy, but that could be nonsense.

The Sennheisers were rarely recommended and are a tad warm for most electronic music IMO and the AKG K701 seemed to lack bass quantity from reviews.

Other good closed headphone options that were highly recommended were the Denon AH-D2000 and the Ultrasone Proline 750. 

YMMV

Reply #21
Hi,

Generally wireless headphones have lower quality than similar priced wired headphones for obvious reasons. However, I use wireless headphones myself because I love being able to move around while listening. The ones I got are pretty good in my opinion; Amphony Model 2500 (5.8 GHz digital). Sure, you can get a better wired headphone for the same price, but they are not bad at all.

Reply #22
Hi,

Generally wireless headphones have lower quality than similar priced wired headphones for obvious reasons. However, I use wireless headphones myself because I love being able to move around while listening. The ones I got are pretty good in my opinion; Amphony Model 2500 (5.8 GHz digital). Sure, you can get a better wired headphone for the same price, but they are not bad at all.

What's cool is that the wireless part is a separte product that could be used with the headphone amp and headphones of your choice. Some engineeiring required.

Reply #23
Hi,

What's cool is that the wireless part is a separte product that could be used with the headphone amp and headphones of your choice. Some engineeiring required.

Never thought about that. Interesting, could possibly be done, though not by me - I'm not the engineering type

Btw, a nice things about the Amphony is that the signal is kept uncompressed digital all the way from the digital inputs of the base (there are analog inputs and an A/D conv. as well) to the D/A inside the headphones. I don't think that's the case with most wireless headphones?

Reply #24
Btw, a nice things about the Amphony is that the signal is kept uncompressed digital all the way from the digital inputs of the base (there are analog inputs and an A/D conv. as well) to the D/A inside the headphones. I don't think that's the case with most wireless headphones?

Sennheiser and Audio Technica have wireless headphones that claim to digital and avoid lossy compression. 

I'm under the impression that audio over BlueTooth must be lossy-compresed or not Hi Fi.