Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DVD Audio or SACD ? (Read 64537 times) previous topic - next topic

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #25
The key advantage to SACD is that it can easily be distributed as a hybrid CD. I haven't seen any listening-test being conducted that clearly favored one over the other, so unless the music is targeted at bats, I think the world would be better off with SACD becoming the standard.

Just my 2¢.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just noticed, that DVD Forum has (or will) specified DVDPlus or DualDisc format, which is a double sided disc, one side could be DVD Audio, other side is CD. Check this:
[a href="http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dvdaudio/dvdaud_spec.htm]http://www.disctronics.co.uk/technology/dv...dvdaud_spec.htm[/url]

I think this will help somehow spread of DVD Audio discs.

I prefer DVD Audio format!

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #26
Hello everyone,

A lot of audiophiles approves the SACD formats, but some irreducible retorts that the DVD Audio is superior. 
And you, of what side are you?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=276142"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mine: CDDA.

Industry: The side they think will be the hardest the be put on P2P networks.  And like Garf said, DSD being completely inefficient AND different it is a godsend.  Sound quality?  Oh yeah... that..................

Guys... you don't see the BIG picture...

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #27
Unfortunately, it looks like the SACD is "winning" the war as the next audio format. In records stores, I've seen the DVD-Audio section shrink and wither, while more and more albums are released on (hybrid) SACDs.

As witnessed many times in the past, the technically superior product doesn't necessarily win...

A few years back I used to think DVD-Audio would win, because all PCs would be able to read them with the right software (and a 24/96 sound card, granted), while consumers would need a new player to read SACDs. It may have been precisely the reason why music publishers turned away from DVD-Audio, with the fear that the protection on DVD-Audio would some day be broken as easily as CSS was on DVD-Video.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #28
A few years back I used to think DVD-Audio would win, because all PCs would be able to read them with the right software (and a 24/96 sound card, granted), while consumers would need a new player to read SACDs. It may have been precisely the reason why music publishers turned away from DVD-Audio, with the fear that the protection on DVD-Audio would some day be broken as easily as CSS was on DVD-Video.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's only a matter of time before someone breaks SACD's protection schemes, though.  If you can create it, you can also destroy it.
You've had the misfortune of running into me.  I'm a life-wrecking idiot.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #29
It's only a matter of time before someone breaks SACD's protection schemes, though.  If you can create it, you can also destroy it.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283781"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually the hybrid CD/SACD disks have an interesting "protection", since a computer drive doesn't "see" the SACD layer, only the CD layer.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #30
Actually the hybrid CD/SACD disks have an interesting "protection", since a computer drive doesn't "see" the SACD layer, only the CD layer.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=284780"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's just one of the intellectual property protection schemes built into SACD. Another is physical  (visible) watermarking of the disc, as well as data encryption. Since there is no such thing as an SACD "burner," there's less likelihood that an SACD disc will be trivially pirated, as is the case with the DVD family.

As to which encoding method is "better," that’s a tough and lengthy discussion…

First off, any reference to Lipshitz and Vanderkooy’s paper on the inability to optimally dither DSD data is inappropriate and outdated if you pay attention to current technology. As one of the few people who has taken the time to conduct extensive tests with both 192 kHz LPCM and single speed DSD with live sources (my company <www.sonicstudio.com> pioneered and manufactures both PCM and DSD professional production systems), I can say that they are subjectively different but both equally valid.

As was pointed out in earlier postings, it's the details of the formats that really highlights the advantages of one over the other. The SACD format was designed, from the start, as backwards compatible with the Red Book spec. The Dual Disc "format" is a bolt-on afterthought that lacks compatibility with CD players due to the physical characteristics (thickness) of the discs.

DVD-Audio also cannot deliver the highest fidelity LPCM in multichannel and is limited to 192 k stereo. All other factors being equal, 96 kHz LPCM does not sound as close to the source as DSD does, which means you are saddled with lesser quality 5.1 when listening to a DVD-A release.

Production-wise, both 192 k LPCM and DSD make great origination formats; material can be transcoded into any distribution format from either source file, and is typically done in "the real world" to accomodate the vagaries of the marketplace. 48 or 96 k sources just don't contain enough information to produce a subjectively lossless upsample.

Since the DVD Forum has seen fit to not mandate various player features that would make the consumer experience more enjoyable (persistant memory of user settings, group selection controls, complete front panel control of the player), DVD-A users have to have a TV just to listen to a title. As the “multimedia” capabilities of DVD-A, I’ve never found the slideshow feature to be compelling, especially considering the severe limitations placed on the author by the format’s limitations.

Frankly, for the average consumer, there is little in the DVD-A format that isn’t already delivered more easily and more compatibly by the DVD-Video format. Badly produced audio, whether DSD or 192 k LPCM, will always sound worse than expertly and carefully produced 48k/24. Simply looking at numbers on a spec sheet tell you nothing about the intricacies of a complete media delivery system. Read a lot of information from different sources, weight your budetary options (“universal” players are now cheap but titles in both formats are overpriced) and, more importantly, listen critically before making a decision.
OMas 
::  maat.digital  ::  seneschal.net  ::  othermunday.com  ::  audioxpress.com  ::  hifizine.com  ::

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #31
DVD-Audio also cannot deliver the highest fidelity LPCM in multichannel and is limited to 192 k stereo. All other factors being equal, 96 kHz LPCM does not sound as close to the source as DSD does, which means you are saddled with lesser quality 5.1 when listening to a DVD-A release.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286097"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I thought that sacd goes lossy if you put hard-to-encode hi-res multichannel content on it.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #32

(btw: That part of yours smells like a terms-of-service rule #8 violation)

Are you implying that 96/24 isn't sufficient enough to transport sound transparently for us humans ? (I seriously doubt that)

Please elaborate on how you came to this conlcusion (and on the conlcusion itselt).

I thought that sacd goes lossy if you put hard-to-encode hi-res multichannel content on it.

AFAIK the DSD stream isn't stored lossy on the SACD -- no matter what.

SebastianG

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #33

(btw: That part of yours smells like a terms-of-service rule #8 violation)

Are you implying that 96/24 isn't sufficient enough to transport sound transparently for us humans ? (I seriously doubt that)

The 192kHz claim from the poster you have responded seems absurd to me. Forget 192kHz(96Khz bandwidth) -- at this point no confirmed perceptual tests have concluded that anything exceeding a [1]16kHz bandwidth is needed to be transparent for musical program playback for humans. The accepted JAES standard on this matter still stands as of this day.

-Chris

[1] Which Bandwidth Is Necessary for Optimal Sound Transmission?
G. PLENGE, H. JAKUBOWSKI, AND P. SCHONE
JAES, Volume 28 Number 3 pp. 114-119; March 1980

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #34
As one of the few people who has taken the time to conduct extensive tests with both 192 kHz LPCM and single speed DSD with live sources (my company <www.sonicstudio.com> pioneered and manufactures both PCM and DSD professional production systems), I can say that they are subjectively different but both equally valid.

Do you have detailed perceptual studies avaliable for our analysis?

As the other poster noted, you have violated TOS of this forum. Audibility claims, when made in this fashion, must be accompanied by at least preliminary DBT results or solid correlation to a valid perceptual study.

-Chris

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #35

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286138"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Allright. Then it must be the MLP (dvd-a) which does lossy when lossless isn't small enough.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #36

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286105"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That was my understanding too. Mind you, it'd be easier to know the answer if it wasn't such a closed protected system. Way to go, Sony.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #37

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Allright. Then it must be the MLP (dvd-a) which does lossy when lossless isn't small enough.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286251"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10520&view=findpost&p=106542]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=106542[/url]

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #38
Unfortunately, it looks like the SACD is "winning" the war as the next audio format. In records stores, I've seen the DVD-Audio section shrink and wither, while more and more albums are released on (hybrid) SACDs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283633"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DVD-A and SACD sales are declining (it's early for the "media of the future"  )
HA has proved that even PCM is overkill for the human ear.
Talking about multi-channel, ac3 and DTS is widespread. For me DTS is fare superior and difficult to differentiate from the source. I didn’t make a real scientific test though. Just a friend changing the source.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #39
DVD-A and SACD sales are declining (it's early for the "media of the future"   )
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286313"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think you mean that 96kHz 24bit linear PCM is overkill for the human ear. PCM merely refers to the way the signal is sampled and quantized - with no specification of sample rate or bit depth. For example, 22kHz 8bit linear PCM is certainly not overkill for music signals (it is for speech, though).
Talking about multi-channel, ac3 and DTS is widespread. For me DTS is fare superior and difficult to differentiate from the source. I didn’t make a real scientific test though. Just a friend changing the source.
If it's not a double blind test, then making any sort of conclusion from it puts you on fairly shaky ground. However, I agree with you that multichannel is the way things are going (people have mixed opinions about this) but I don't see why, with rapidly increasing storage space, lossy multichannel formats should have any advantage over 6 channel LPCM.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #40
DVD-A and SACD sales are declining (it's early for the "media of the future"   )
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I think you mean that 96kHz 24bit linear PCM is overkill for the human ear. PCM merely refers to the way the signal is sampled and quantized - with no specification of sample rate or bit depth. For example, 22kHz 8bit linear PCM is certainly not overkill for music signals (it is for speech, though).
  Sorry I didn't mention it, I was talking about 16/44 PCM

If it's not a double blind test, then making any sort of conclusion from it puts you on fairly shaky ground.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286328"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yep, that's why I have started the following topic:[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32796&hl=]DTS/ac3 tests, Is it worth it?[/url]

However, I agree with you that multichannel is the way things are going (people have mixed opinions about this) but I don't see why, with rapidly increasing storage space, lossy multichannel formats should have any advantage over 6 channel LPCM.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286328"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Outside the size benefits (which still an advantage even with big hdd, ...), with ac3/DTS you have the compatibility with all the DVD player...

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #41
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
  Sorry I didn't mention it, I was talking about 16/44 PCM
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286334"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I doubt you will get much support for the opinion that 16/44 PCM is overkill for the human ear. Perhaps "adequate" would be better - because that's exactly what it is - enough, but not too much.
Yep, that's why I have started the following topic:[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32796&hl=]DTS/ac3 tests, Is it worth it?[/url] Outside the size benefits (which still an advantage even with big hdd, ...), with ac3/DTS you have the compatibility with all the DVD player...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286334"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Agreed, compatability is a big plus. It will be interesting to see the outcome of your surround listening tests. Unfortunately I don't have a decent 5.1 system, so I can't participate.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #42
I doubt you will get much support for the opinion that 16/44 PCM is overkill for the human ear. Perhaps "adequate" would be better - because that's exactly what it is - enough, but not too much.

Well, it's the principle of lossy encoder. You can’t say the difference between a lossy at around 200 kb/s and a PCM 16/44 at 1411 kb/s. It means pcm 16/44 is overkill for the human ear. I doubt you will get much support to claim the contrary here at HA.
Outside the compatibility, the benefits of pcm being lossless, meaning you have the choice of the lossy encoder without transcoding artefact. You still have lossless compression at around 800 kb/s.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #43
The 192kHz claim from the poster you have responded seems absurd to me. Forget 192kHz(96Khz bandwidth) -- at this point no confirmed perceptual tests have concluded that anything exceeding a [1]16kHz bandwidth is needed to be transparent for musical program playback for humans. The accepted JAES standard on this matter still stands as of this day.

-Chris

[1] Which Bandwidth Is Necessary for Optimal Sound Transmission?
G. PLENGE, H. JAKUBOWSKI, AND P. SCHONE
JAES, Volume 28 Number 3 pp. 114-119; March 1980
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286167"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't read that paper, but a clean 16kHz low pass is clearly not transparent to many younger listeners for much source material. This was demonstrated during the tuning of the --alt-presets, and even before during work on the old --r3mix preset - filtering at 19.5kHz was audible to one person who took part in those tests!

Cheers,
David.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #44
I haven't read that paper, but a clean 16kHz low pass is clearly not transparent to many younger listeners for much source material. This was demonstrated during the tuning of the --alt-presets, and even before during work on the old --r3mix preset - filtering at 19.5kHz was audible to one person who took part in those tests!

The testing in the JAES article, which was eventually peer reviewed and accepted as a standard, used test signals that were designed to test respective fixed phase and spectrum content, simulating analysed music(with boosted high frequency spectrum in order to increase sensativity ). The conditions of playback were conistant for all test subjects(half of which were audio professionals - the results of both groups were segregrated). It is true, that perhaps very young people could score significantly better in the musical program HF testing, but since very young people were not used, it remains to be a theory.

I don't know specifically which factors/variables were used during this testing of which you refer. I suspect it may have been the standard *remote* testing as is standard during the codec developments on  hydrogenaudio.org. In the case of remote listening, a simple matter of a person testing at much higher SPL levels for the test  than is realsiticly feasible during actual listening may greatly influence the test results. They might use a device that has a very inaccurate frequency response anamoly that greatly enhances the ability to hear a specific band.These are just two examples, and of course there are others that limit the practical usefulness in such a remote testing method. I recognize this remote method is certainly useful for guidance of codec designs , especially considering the alternative of no group perceptual testing -- but the lack of careful consistant test conditions and fraud suspectibility(I.E.; depending on the test subject's honesty) reduces the merit and reliability of such testing. It could be that the test results of the testing to which you refer were accurate -- but please understand my skeptiscm based on the factors present in such testing.

-Chris

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #45
one need only try to ABX musical content with --aps to realise the tests are statistically significant... i can't ABX preset standard except on problem samples (and these are mp3 flaws, not bandwidth related problems), but i can pretty consistently ABX --preset standard -Y, which is basically a 16khz lowpass (except where short-blocks are triggered).

as far as DVD-A vs SACD, that's a no-brainer.  the processing is all done in LPCM, so why not leave it there?

i'm not yet a multichannel convert.  for most, it's simply a fad.  look at the average 5.1 setup in people's homes - the speakers are in all the wrong places, often obscured completely by couches or ornaments or whatever, pointing in bizarre angles, etc etc.  to say nothing of the much-too-high subwoofer crossovers, and ludicrously exaggerated bass.  most systems are set up to fit the decor, not for good sound.

i'm sure i'll change my opinion if i get a really good 5.1 system, but right now i'll settle for an above-average 2.0 system (movies still sound stunning on anything capable of decent dynamics and flattish response).

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #46
The testing in the JAES article, which was eventually peer reviewed and accepted as a standard, used test signals that were designed to test respective fixed phase and spectrum content, simulating analysed music(with boosted high frequency spectrum in order to increase sensativity ). The conditions of playback were conistant for all test subjects(half of which were audio professionals - the results of both groups were segregrated). It is true, that perhaps very young people could score significantly better in the musical program HF testing, but since very young people were not used, it remains to be a theory.

I don't know specifically which factors/variables were used during this testing of which you refer. I suspect it may have been the standard *remote* testing as is standard during the codec developments on  hydrogenaudio.org. In the case of remote listening, a simple matter of a person testing at much higher SPL levels for the test  than is realsiticly feasible during actual listening may greatly influence the test results. They might use a device that has a very inaccurate frequency response anamoly that greatly enhances the ability to hear a specific band.These are just two examples, and of course there are others that limit the practical usefulness in such a remote testing method. I recognize this remote method is certainly useful for guidance of codec designs , especially considering the alternative of no group perceptual testing -- but the lack of careful consistant test conditions and fraud suspectibility(I.E.; depending on the test subject's honesty) reduces the merit and reliability of such testing. It could be that the test results of the testing to which you refer were accurate -- but please understand my skeptiscm based on the factors present in such testing.

-Chris
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=286666"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All those problems are certainly possible (or probable!) in such tests - but these "problems" also apply to normal people listening to normal music under what they consider to be "normal" circumstances.

In other words, if playing back the music louder than "normal", or using poorer transducers than "ideal" causes the 16kHz low pass to be audible, then it's audible - and will be audible to some listeners some of the time in what they consider to be "normal" listening.

If we forget deafening loudness levels for a moment, all the other factors you mention are only partly relevant anyway - does it really matter if someone detects a difference by listening with a pair of headphones that boost HF by 6dB? This simply means that, on a different track with 6dB more HF, they'd still identify the problem on a pair of headphones with a flat frequency response.

What's more, taking a "normal" recording, and boosting the HF by 6dB, may well give you much less HF than is found on some recent electronic or experimental music.

I agree that it would be useful to test people like Garf, Dibrom etc under ideal conditions, but I'd suggest that the results we already have show that 16kHz is too low - unless you believe all audible differences apparently due to content above 16kHz were due to ITD in the equipment producing actual changes below 16kHz in the output.

Cheers,
David.

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #47
but I'd suggest that the results we already have show that 16kHz is too low - unless you believe all audible differences apparently due to content above 16kHz were due to ITD in the equipment producing actual changes below 16kHz in the output.

At the moment, the conclusions that have been drawn in reference to encoder testing and HF that you refer to are valid only for the set of circumstances -- but isolated perceptual data, in a controlled setting, must be aquisitioned if you want to be certain of that variable's specific contribution. Several conditions could also be tested to account for the speculations we have both made RE: HF content, etc.. However, when I am forced to pick between some tests not isolating factors or establishing a set of controls vs. a peer reviewed JAES article/research, it's no contest as to which one I will consider as more credible/useful. It is possible, of course, that some very young people with very HF ability could detect the difference with music that has unusual power distribution into the HF spectra. The article also concluded that(with the even a slightly lower point filtering that was slightly audible) that a lack of the highest frequencies was not detected as a sound quality decrease in blind tests.

Could you link to the test files used in this ABX test to which you refer? I would, as a matter of seperate interest, be interested in taking a look and listen.

Thanks.

-Chris

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #48
i'm sure i'll change my opinion if i get a really good 5.1 system, but right now i'll settle for an above-average 2.0 system (movies still sound stunning on anything capable of decent dynamics and flattish response).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=287991"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Too bad that the benefit of surround is dependant on competant mixing of the surround channels by the same illustrious folks who bring you the *excellent* average 2 channel recordings of today. Cough. Cough.

-Chris

DVD Audio or SACD ?

Reply #49
It's a fact, not a supposition..
It's well known that the audio CD is completely overkill for the human ear. The normal audio CD have more resolution that the human ear is able to perceive.

I think each the SACD and DVD-A camps make claims that its format is insistinguishable in tests from live feed while the other isn't. At least I have heard both claims. I am not sure who has tested this with CD, or how else your result came to be "well known". Take a reference ADC to convert to 16/44 and reference DAC and compare to live analog or else take 24/192 recordings and convert to 16/44 to compare.