Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 1.6 Beta unrecoverable playback error on all files (Read 1015 times) previous topic - next topic

1.6 Beta unrecoverable playback error on all files

I get this error when trying to playing anything (FLAC/mp3/m4a (lossy), bog standard stuff - no multi channel or hi-res)

Code: [Select]
Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 32-bit / 2 channels

Windows 8.1 fully updated, Soundblaster Z soundcard, primary sound driver output.

Re: 1.6 Beta unrecoverable playback error on all files

Reply #1
Does the soundblaster support 32bit output? according to the specs it only supports 24bit
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
I guess this is the relevant changelog entry

Code: [Select]
Default output mode is now WASAPI shared.

Should it say in brackets -must have soundcard capable of 32bit output?? I can't find a way to change this in any preferences.

Reply #3
have a look in control panel > sound > right click your soundcard> properties > advanced tab. check what is selected in the drop down.

Reply #4
24bit/48000 is the current setting. The highest it goes is 24bit/96000.

edit: I have one quirky mp3 file sampled at 48000hz which plays fine. :p

edit2: because that worked, I tried adding a resampler DSP upsampling to 48000 which also makes everything play just fine.

Reply #5
If you drop it down to 24/44100 i assume the other mp3's would play?

I just tested v1.6.0 and played a 44100KHz file and then a 96000KHz file and no problems for me. i see "Automatic resampling: using Resampler (PPHS)" in the console when playing the 96000KHz file with no manual resamplers are enabled.

Reply #6
I've now discovered resampling happens automatically if you have the "Standard DSPs" installed. I didn't originally. I guess that means the component can no longer be optional and must be part of a standard install.

Reply #7
Thanks for the bug report.
It was an oversight on my side that the installer allows opting out of installing standard DSPs, the next update will address this.
Because of how WASAPI works, resampler is now necessary for normal operation.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #9
A related question:  I already was using the foo_out_wasapis.dll component.
Does the "default" output now has the exact same features and fixes as the optional component?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #10
The WASAPI output in the new foobar is made entirely by Peter. It is doubtful it would have the problems I needed to fix - Peter has way too much experience of foobar internals and working with outputs in general.

The main point of my output component was to provide glitchless experience when seeking, pausing, and adjusting volume. That is now supported natively by foobar with all outputs if the new fade engine is enabled. I'm not sure if it does the job identically but at least it works just as well.