Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which brand of CD-Rs is still decent? (Read 5790 times) previous topic - next topic

Which brand of CD-Rs is still decent?

I'm not looking for archival storage. I'm just burning things for the kids to play in the car and on various CD players around the house.

Current batches of the local cheap supermarket brand (Asda/Walmart) don't play at all in my stereo - which is strange because generally it's one of the most "forgiving" CD players I own.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced but widely compatible CD-Rs?

Must be available in the UK.

Thanks,
David.

Reply #1
Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Ritek/Ridata from Nierle? Amazon? VideoHelp has a section with blank media ratings by feature.

Reply #2
First choice: Made in Japan (too good for the kids)
Second choice: Made in Taiwan
Last possible choice: Made in China or India

For best prices, buy in bulk from Supermediastore and have them shipped to you.

Reply #3
I was going to recommend looking at http://www.svp.co.uk/ as they used to have extremely detailed information about the CD-R/DVD-Rs etc that they sold but it looks like they don't do that any more :/

Reply #4
+1 on Taiyo Yuden, although they're only available in spindles of 50 or more, and also Verbatim if you need something locally(?)/in smaller quantities.

Cheaper than TY or Verbatim but still "good"?  Honestly, I haven't found any in the past few years.  Maxell, Memorex and TDK have always been iffy in my experience (although TDK's DVD-RWs have been fantastic - go figure), and I've had nothing but bad experiences with any store brands.
"Not sure what the question is, but the answer is probably no."

Reply #5
amazon UK are doing a 100pack of verbatim cd-r disks for £16.77 including free delivery. i have no idea what the cheapo stuff costs as i haven't bought optical media in years but this seems like a reasonable deal to me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43411-Ext...s=verbatim+cd-r

Reply #6
Thanks all.

I went for the Taiyo Yuden before seeing the bargain Verbatim. Oh well, at least there should be no complaints! Might even try inkjet printing the labels for once.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #7
A thought: Though i've never had trouble playing back labeled CDs, i've had several computers completely fail at burning them.
You might try without labels if you still have problems with the new discs, but if they work, good for you.

Reply #8
For best prices, buy in bulk from Supermediastore and have them shipped to you.

I don't think SuperMediaStore ships to UK. Nierle may be the best for EU.

Reply #9
I use Verbatim and Memorex (those nice black CDs) with 0 problems. I never put labels on them, I use the inner plastic part of the disc to write something to identify each disc.

Reply #10
I use Verbatim and Memorex

Aren't these both manufactured by the same company (CMC Magnetics)?

Reply #11
Yes and many more. Have a look at Wikipedia for details.

Reply #12
You might try without labels if you still have problems with the new discs, but if they work, good for you.
Sorry, I meant printing onto the white printable discs I've just ordered. I wouldn't dream of sticking a label on a CD.

Yes and many more. Have a look at Wikipedia for details.
Quite a list, thank you.

Cheers,
David.