Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where are Replain Gain values written to? (Read 2809 times) previous topic - next topic

Where are Replain Gain values written to?

Hello,

I'm wondering where I can see/check Replain Gain values after I added them. I thought they would be visible in the MP3 tags, but they're not. So I'm really wondering where they're stored. And could they be written to a MP3 tag and would that have any use?

From what I understand what's written on the wiki page about this, is that those values are written to an APE tag field!? It would be really nice if I knew where those values are written to, so that I can see which files in my collection have Replay Gain (info) on them.

Hope somebody can help me out, thank you in advance! :)

Re: Where are Replain Gain values written to?

Reply #1
Alt+Enter (Properties) -> "Details" tab

Reply #2
Thanks for the quick reply EpicForever. If I only knew it was that easy...

Is there a way I can filter that out like you can do with tags? So that I can what files have Replay Gain and which don't?

Reply #3
Is there a way I can filter that out like you can do with tags? So that I can what files have Replay Gain and which don't?

%replaygain_track_peak% MISSING
%replaygain_track_gain% MISSING
will also list silent tracks (fb2k does not write track gain to these, but will write that peak is zero)

Also:
%replaygain_album_peak% MISSING
%replaygain_album_gain% MISSING

"MISSING" must be capitalized. And replace it by PRESENT for what-you-think-it-is.

Reply #4
You can also simply make your custom column:
%replaygain_track_gain%
It will give you values for scanned tracks and "?" for those missing it. Alternatively $if2(%replaygain_track_gain%,MISSING) will give you MISSING instead of "?".

Same applies for all other RG related variables.

Reply #5
Great tips guys, thank you! :)

Reply #6
From what I understand what's written on the wiki page about this, is that those values are written to an APE tag field!? It would be really nice if I knew where those values are written to, so that I can see which files in my collection have Replay Gain (info) on them.
Your question was already answered (where to see them), but I should point out the replaygain values ARE written to the mp3 tags. They'll be written to APE tags in files that have APE tags, but that wouldn't be mp3s most of the time.

Reply #7
Do FLAC files have APE tags? And where or how could you view them?

Reply #8
FLAC files don't have MP3 or APE tags.

Reply #9
And mp3s also don't most of the time according to MordredKLB, so which files DO have them?

Reply #10
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=APEv2
APEv2 is a tagging format derived from APEv1 originally developed for MPC audio files, and is now also used in Monkey's Audio, WavPack and OptimFROG.

Reply #11
OK clear, thank you! :)

Reply #12
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=APEv2
APEv2 is a tagging format derived from APEv1 originally developed for MPC audio files, and is now also used in Monkey's Audio, WavPack and OptimFROG.
To add to that, I think foobar automatically uses APEv2 for formats without a defined tag type, such as .ac3 and .dts (or APEv2 is the defined tag type for those formats).

FLAC uses FLAC tags.

Reply #13
To add to that, I think foobar automatically uses APEv2 for formats without a defined tag type, such as .ac3 and .dts (or APEv2 is the defined tag type for those formats).
That feature is entirely implementation specific. Inputs do their own tag writing.

Reply #14

%replaygain_track_gain% MISSING
will also list silent tracks (fb2k does not write track gain to these, but will write that peak is zero)

Also:
%replaygain_album_peak% MISSING
%replaygain_album_gain% MISSING

"MISSING" must be capitalized. And replace it by PRESENT for what-you-think-it-is.
What do you actually mean what that last sentence?:

"And replace it by PRESENT for what-you-think-it-is."

Reply #15

%replaygain_track_peak% PRESENT
lists all those files with an RG track peak tag.

lists all those which don't.

Reply #16

%replaygain_track_peak% PRESENT
lists all those files with an RG track peak tag.

lists all those which don't.

You enter this when using 'search' or 'sort' command?

Reply #17
That feature is entirely implementation specific. Inputs do their own tag writing.
That's great information, for some reason I was under the impression that APEv2 was the de-facto standard for those formats. Thinking about it, it makes sense that there isn't a "real" standard, considering for which purpose/application these codecs were developed.

(Forgive me for this non-contributing post, but I want to take this as an opportunity to thank the admins, devs, mods, all the team and members, who are adding information like the above just for the sake of spreading correct information. This has always been what's drawn me to the Hydrogenaudio forums, even if I'm mostly a silent reader and can't contribute a lot. Thank you! <3)

Reply #18
For searching, yes. If you don't have that in your layout, you find it under the Library menu. Press Alt-L and select one of the options (above the separator above Configure).
More: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Query_syntax

To see which library viewers you have installed: Preferences (i.e., Ctrl-p) and check the "Installed media library viewers".

Reply #19
For searching, yes. If you don't have that in your layout, you find it under the Library menu. Press Alt-L and select one of the options (above the separator above Configure).
More: http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Query_syntax

To see which library viewers you have installed: Preferences (i.e., Ctrl-p) and check the "Installed media library viewers".

Ah I see know, I never used this. But good to know, might come in handy some day.

For the missing ReplayGain data I prefer to just add another tab to my layout with a custom pattern like EpicForever suggested.

Thank you for your help! :)