Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: HDMI audio doesn't start playing immediately (Read 2692 times) previous topic - next topic

HDMI audio doesn't start playing immediately

I've set up my new receiver Denon AVR-X1660H to play audio from HDMI source. The chain is as follows:

FLAC 16/44.1 stereo  from PC HDD -> foobar2000 1.5.1 @ Windows 10 -> NVIDIA GTX 1660 HDMI Output -> Denon AVR CBL/SAT HDMI Input  -> wired 2.0 Speakers

The proble is that in foobar2000 the playback starts immediately, but the speakers start to sound after ~1.5 seconds. So I lose the first 1.5 secondsofthe audio. This happens with all sounds, including system sounds, but only when nothing was played before the current playback started, so it looks like Nvidia or Windows or AVR need some time to initialize HDMI output.

Is this a common porlbem for HDMI? Or maybe I have wrong setup somehow? If it is a common problem, what could be a workaround here? I have tried Affix Silence DSP already, but it places silence at the beginning of the each track, so I can't play them gaplessly then.
🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Re: HDMI audio doesn't start playing immediately

Reply #1
Use foo_dsp_pregap instead of Affix Silence

Reply #2
Also SPDIF Keep Alive and Sound Keeper can be helpful.

Reply #3
SoundKeeper is detected as a troian https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/a5be26ee36e58707a957ab539128134d9d7727d48c9c27b0ce54c8283f58447a/detection

SPDIF Keep Alive stops working after playing audio through WASAPI exclusive. The Pregap DSP causes some glitch after prepended silence :(

UPD: looks like Pregap works well in Noise mode. Thanks

🇺🇦 Glory to Ukraine!

Reply #6
One known solution is to have some app playing digital silence all the time through the offending interface. That fixed the problem with my own nVidia/HDMI rig doing exactly what you describe.

The keep-alive apps linked above should help. Though you can just run any audio player looping silence.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #7
Same here, I fixed it with Soundswitch 2.0 (by den Otter) after trying other solutions.
Only thing is, when you switch sample rate or number of channels, the input device will probably mute for a few seconds to adjust. This will never happen with the default output though, only with WASAPI exclusive (optional).
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Reply #8

I have that 1-2 second issue with  AC-3 audio (5.1) MPEG video but not PCM stereo either from plain audio files via HDMI or video MPEG stereo only, no AC-3 via HDMI.