Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Clipping the soundcard DAC? (Read 1739 times) previous topic - next topic

Clipping the soundcard DAC?

I’ve a Realtek HD onboard soundcard. The software that comes with the drivers includes an equalizer, that I use.
I’d like to know if, after applying equalization, I’m exceeding the DAC full scale (and clipping).

I know that lowering the Windows volume level, I can avoid clipping. But I’d like to know the actual signal level I’m feeding to the DAC.

Do you know any Windows software that can measure and show the signal amplitude (I mean, a peak detector, a vumeter, whatever) just before reaching the soundcard DAC?

Thank you.

Re: Clipping the soundcard DAC?

Reply #1
Windows can only meter the sound before it gets passed to the manufacturer-specific driver. What happens thereafter is the responsibility of the driver, so you would have to ask Realtek.

Reply #2
If clipping is predicted you would better use a subtractive approach when EQing. For example, if you want to boost 200Hz by 3dB, instead of moving the 200Hz slider to +3dB you can lower other sliders by 3dB. I'd suggest you keep Windows' master volume at max level and adjust playback volume on your DAC/amp/speakers.

Your audio output won't clip unless you are using special modes like ASIO or WASAPI. Windows will automatically limit the volume so a peak meter cannot tell the truth.

Read this to have a better understanding about the issue, sample audio files included:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,104051.0.html

Reply #3
Try looking at the loopback or stereo mix signal. With something like a (near) full-scale 1 kHz sine it should be easy to spot any clipping, limiting etc.
"I hear it when I see it."