Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to make link to point to another thread. (Read 4378 times) previous topic - next topic

How to make link to point to another thread.

Hi, Im relatively a newbie to this and other online forums and don't know how to do some things. For example, I've seen people point to another thread by creating a link with the word "here" and it jumps to the other thread.

I just discovered as I was typing this the link to BB Code Help. But I still have questions.

1) How do you know what # the post or topic is? I can't see a number to put into the BB Code.

2) Does "topic" mean the same things as "thread"?

3) What is the difference between a post link, a topic link and a snapback link? Which one do you use in what circumstances and why?

4) Is there any buttons or easier way to do this than writing in "code".

Thanks for any help in advance.

Reply #1
1) How do you know what # the post or topic is? I can't see a number to put into the BB Code.
The topic number is in the address bar of your browser. The post number is shown when you click the post number at the top right of the post.

2) Does "topic" mean the same things as "thread"?
Yes.

3) What is the difference between a post link, a topic link and a snapback link? Which one do you use in what circumstances and why?
Post link and snapbacks jump to a specific link in a thread.

4) Is there any buttons or easier way to do this than writing in "code".
Just paste the URL to the thread from your address bar, or to the post from the "Show link" link, into the prompt you get after clicking "Insert Link" in the editor.

Reply #2
This is just a test for trying out the link button in the editor, please ignore

See my other post

Reply #4
Thanx JensRex, I think I'm getting the hang of the link thing now.

What is Guided Mode Off/On button do?

Is there anywhere on HA or similar forum or website that teaches noobs what these things are, what they are used for and how to actually use the tools, buttons, editors and functions of these forums?

I'd like to go beyond being a lurker and participate more, but don't feel confident in doing so because I dunno how to use all the stuff properly. Also it would be helpful if there was a "practice forum" for us noobs to try out the use of quotations, links etc.

An example is that I've tried quoating someone and couldn't figure out where to type my answer inside which brackets to do exactly what you did above--that is too answer individual parts using multiple quotes. I just end up messing the whole code up and then the [ brackkets /urls show up as code in the bloody message!

Reply #5
You can experiment as much as you want by using the "Preview Post" button in the editor. This renders your post as it would look if you posted it, without actually posting it.