Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3tag: multiple tag entries (Read 4516 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3tag: multiple tag entries

How do you make multiple entries in the tag field in MP3tag, such as the genre tag?  I have seen  "genre1\\genre2", and "genre1;genre2" or even "genre1,genre2".  Is there a correct way?  Furthermore, will a music player pick up either entry in a search? 

For example, I would like to tag some songs as both pop and rock.  I want to make a tag that has both rock and pop in it, and that will be picked up if I do a search for either. How do you do this?

Reply #1
within mp3tag, use "artist1\\artist2" or "genre1\\genre2" etc.

Reply #2
Did that.  Tried a tag that reads "rock\\pop".  When I did a search for pop, the songs did not show up.
I'm using the Plex media server on my PC and the Plex client on a Google TV box (the former Logitech Revue). The search was on the Plex client on the TV. Maybe the Plex media server downloads metadata and does not use the tags from the music files?

Reply #3
Did that.  Tried a tag that reads "rock\\pop".  When I did a search for pop, the songs did not show up.
I'm using the Plex media server on my PC and the Plex client on a Google TV box (the former Logitech Revue). The search was on the Plex client on the TV. Maybe the Plex media server downloads metadata and does not use the tags from the music files?

the player/server will need to actually read the multiple tags. I'd guess that PLEX and the google TV box do NOT read multiple values (probably this is the case....I think this is using DLNA and I don't think DLNA can deal with multiple value tags...could be wrong). (and I suspect PLEX does read the tags, but only reads the first value). I doubt the plex is redownloading metadata.

Reply #4
That may be what Plex is doing - downloading the metadata instead of using the tags.  I just checked my genre tags using both MP3Tag and the file properties, and Plex has different ones.
Time to hit the Plex help forum.

Reply #5
Checked the Plex help and forum.  The help claims that it reads tags, but it appears to default to the metadata downloaded from last.fm.  Several questions on the users forum complained about this as well.

It appears that my question about multiple entries in a tag is answered -- ****\\**** for MP3Tag.  Now maybe I have to  start a new thread on how to make Plex use only the file tags.

Reply #6
thanks for following up. seems very odd that something would use last.fm data instead of tag data (without at least giving the user to turn this option off).  I only know PLEX as a video streamer. I personally use Squeezebox players and Logitech Media Server for feeding them files....

Reply #7
I may switch to the Logitech Media Server, since it's already on the Revue.  All I'm looking for is something to stream my music on my computer to my audio system.  I just want it to either read my file structure directly, or search by tags if I choose to.

Reply #8
I may switch to the Logitech Media Server, since it's already on the Revue.  All I'm looking for is something to stream my music on my computer to my audio system.  I just want it to either read my file structure directly, or search by tags if I choose to.

logitech media server will  do that (and do it very well if you are streaming to a logitech squeezebox player connected to your audio system). I have virtually all the types of players they've ever made, but I'd recommend the TOUCH as a hardware player for use in streaming to your system. Can connect back to your computer running LMS with either WIFI or ethernet. And can connect to your audio system with either analog (RCA) or digital out (S/PDIF or TOSLINK).

edit: LMS will also stream as DLNA, but it is hit and miss depending on what you are streaming to.  Using "Whitebear" in conjunction with LMS is said to be a better way to implement DLNA with LMS as the server software. Google for more info....

Reply #9
Another dumb question: I installed Whitebear to go along with the Logitech Media Server.The client is the Google TV box (formerly the Logitech Revue) and the app is the Logitech Media Player. It found the server and Whitebear, it finds my files, and it appears I can search by the usual tags, plus just go into my folder structure.  All is well so far.
BUT, I cannot figure out how to play an entire album! I play a song, and it stops.  I've tried the various repeat functions (repeat all, repeat song, no repeat). I tried hitting the play arrow on the album picture instead of an individual song. Nothing seems to work.
Am I missing something obvious?

Reply #10
not sure, but I'd suspect you are more likely to find someone who uses whitebear with LMS (including the whitebear developer) if you posted your question on forum.slimdevices.com. I'd post in this thread as the whitebear developer likely subscribes to it:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.p...light=whitebear