Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Editing Tags (Read 1297 times) previous topic - next topic

Editing Tags

I'm almost done ripping my CDs.....just some rap and compilations left.  Finally!

I am starting to make a few edits to tags and that led me to a new decision to make.  I keep seeing different programs that have tag editing features or just simply tag editing software.  Whats the deal with these?  I did all of my ripping, art and preliminary tagging with dbpoweramp and couldn't be happier...mostly because of all of the help I got in the forums.  I don't really want to start adding new SW to learn and everything seems really easy to edit simply in Windows.  You can edit a track by Rt clicking or a whole album just by holding down Ctrl and highlighting all tracks.

Is there something I'm missing?  I have heard that WMP can screw up tags so I have not touched it.  Are there problems with simply using Windows too?  I can't imagine any SW making it much simpler?  I have to be missing something.

Editing Tags

Reply #1
I wouldn't trust Windows for editing tags. Windows XP was terrible, I think it only handled ID3v1. Newer versions (Vista / 7 / 8) have better tagging support, but I'd still go with purpose-built music organizing software to handle tagging. Pretty much any music library software is going to be better at managing tags, and actually making use of the tag info, than the Windows file browser.

foobar2000 is what I use personally because of its scripting features. But there's plenty of stuff out there for tagging. You said you were familiar with dbpoweramp, so why not use that? People also use WMP or iTunes, but I tend to stay away from both of those as they (especially iTunes) tend to take "liberties" with re-organizing your file structure and installing unnecessary bloatware and system services on your computer...